News Emmanuel Irra signs with South Gawler

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to say I am impressed by his values, by his calm, no nonsense determination to succeed, and by his lack of presumption of entitlement (instead prefers to focus on how lucky he is for the opportunity).

My observance of his skills makes me think he is an absolute long shot to make it - but good luck to the young man, and I sincerely hope his time at Port is good for both he and the Club.

You can't help but like Irra. He is so cool. Uganda must be like the African Jamaica. Just a cool breeze blowin' through the body mon.

About half an hour ago on ABC News 24 I saw the story ABC News team in Adelaide produced on Irra and how Port has recruited him under the AFL's new multicultural academy concessions. They then talked about Port's intake of 16 and 18 year olds in the next generation academy - pretty sure they said first intake. Shaun Hart was then interviewed as director of academies talking about the E man as well as kids coming into the academy and the opportunities they will have.

So another positive Port Adelaide story being shown all round this great big brown land of ours, that is girt by sea.

Last edited:
This is the 2 minute video link of the ABC news story tonight about the E man and The Next Generation Academy for multicultrual and indigenous kids.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-17/ugandan-making-waves-in-the-afl/8129716

If you are Geo blocked from the ABC video this ABC article contains a lot of the video story

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-...-first-ugandan-footballer-to-afl-list/8124628
It's been a long journey for 22-year-old Emmanuel Irra — from war-torn Uganda to the rookie list of the Port Adelaide Football Club. Last month Irra became the first Ugandan to reach an AFL list. When he arrived in Australia with his family at the age of 11, he had never heard of Aussie rules football. "Never, because where I come from, Uganda, it's traditionally soccer, so football was very new to me, and it was a very weird sport," Irra said. But he took to the new code with ease, and excelled during his time at his Adelaide school, Sacred Heart College. "That's how I got involved, through there, through mates," he said. "I jumped on board with them and started training and staying at their houses to help me out with transport and things like that." The powerful midfielder went on to play 38 games for SANFL side South Adelaide, before being picked up as a rookie by Port Adelaide last month through the Next Generation Academy.....
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-...-first-ugandan-footballer-to-afl-list/8124628

and

Irra 'committed to being the best player'
Hart said he was confident Irra will do all he can to break into the senior side. "Whether it be in the midfield or down back, I think he'll put some real heat on some players and he'll be desperate to take someone's spot," he said. "I think it's just his commitment to being the best player and person within the community that he can be will see him become a significant person at Port Adelaide Football Club and in the wider AFL community." Irra said he was taking it a day at a time. "I'm just trying to learn as much as I can, and I'm going to to be taking it day by day, speaking to the coaches ... about about what I need to do, where I can improve, and just each day try to get better."

I just have the feeling that in an AFL system where speed and strength is highly prized, Irra could be a real dangerous weapon - especially since the style played in the AFL is a lot less stoppage based and more focused around two way running.

You wouldn't waste a regular draft pick on him because he might have already reached his ceiling, but if he hasn't:

QONVIyz.gif
I really hope he succeeds. Great attitude and will do what it takes.

Even though his game wasn't all that great a couple of years ago he was showing sparks and it could have been an idea to have had him on our list as a cat B rookie for a couple of years. Then his progress to an AFL player would have advanced to the point that he could have made his debut or be doing it this year.

What position do we think Irra would play at afl level, if he were to make it? I'm pretty sure he's been used as both a small, line breaking defender and small forward with South.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What position do we think Irra would play at afl level, if he were to make it? I'm pretty sure he's been used as both a small, line breaking defender and small forward with South.
Not sure about AFL level but I think we'll be needing him on the wing/halfback/backpocket at SANFL level.

Matthew White role would be perfect if he can play both those roles.

I'm predicting Irra could get a handful of games this year. Neade might be in trouble unless he finds form.
My bold
We know Jake is a favourite of Ken and TJ as well. If both get multiple games to start the season by giving modest returns
then we as a club are going nowhere. Good blokes but let's hope there are other criteria to being selected before our 2017 hopes are dashed.
Cast your mind back to 2016 when selection night was causing melts and our season was effectively shot by the Rd 13 Sat June 18th
when we lost to Freo in Perth.

Video about Irra from 2012 at SHC:

Some people have infectious appeal about them. Cripes what's not to like about the guy. If as Ken has shown he wants
to build our game around speed then Irra's a man of the future. Will only get better. A South tragic told me last year
he gets caught holding the ball a lot. That's probably an awareness issue that will improve in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Emmanuel Irra signs with South Gawler

Remove this Banner Ad

Back