Review Elimination Final, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Outstanding first half. As has been the case most of the season. Then we seem to go into a lull and teams get a run on and momentum shifts and because we haven't totally capitalised on our first half dominance we allow teams to stay in touch.

It's frustrating and most often down to not taking the chances when presented in front of goal. Even if two of the several misses every week went through, games would be done and dusted. GWS would not have come back a month ago if we had kicked two extra goals in the first qtr and not behinds.

The positive is look out comp if we do start kicking straight. Our first half was awesome. Built on being agressive at the ball and running harder. We made the Blues look like a bottom 4 side in the opening 50 mins. Perhaps thats why we run out of steam - going so hard in first half.

I know he won't get the plaudits of many but I thought Starcevich was outstanding. Just bullies teams with his attack on the ball.

Big concern with Payne. As soon as he went off the tide changed as you would expect - as we played with one tall down back. Not confident he will play this week/year? But, we need him.

McCluggage was the one player last night I had total confidence in when he had possession. Zorko another amazing game off half back. Supporters from other teams think he is cheap kick merchant. The guy is a weapon off half back with his decision making and kicking and run.

Hippy was bang average and I do wonder if he is playing injured? Couldn't bend down a few times and poor options/decison making. We really need him to step up.

GWS will be as tough as it gets. They are quick and teams with speed often worry us. If we can turn it into a dog fight and contested footy we can beat them. Their game was an absolute smash and bash affair for 120 mins. They maybe a little sore.

Fingers crossed for Payne.

Outstanding first half. As has been the case most of the season. Then we seem to go into a lull and teams get a run on and momentum shifts and because we haven't totally capitalised on our first half dominance we allow teams to stay in touch.

It's frustrating and most often down to not taking the chances when presented in front of goal. Even if two of the several misses every week went through, games would be done and dusted. GWS would not have come back a month ago if we had kicked two extra goals in the first qtr and not behinds.

The positive is look out comp if we do start kicking straight. Our first half was awesome. Built on being agressive at the ball and running harder. We made the Blues look like a bottom 4 side in the opening 50 mins. Perhaps thats why we run out of steam - going so hard in first half.

I know he won't get the plaudits of many but I thought Starcevich was outstanding. Just bullies teams with his attack on the ball.

Big concern with Payne. As soon as he went off the tide changed as you would expect - as we played with one tall down back. Not confident he will play this week/year? But, we need him.

McCluggage was the one player last night I had total confidence in when he had possession. Zorko another amazing game off half back. Supporters from other teams think he is cheap kick merchant. The guy is a weapon off half back with his decision making and kicking and run.

Hippy was bang average and I do wonder if he is playing injured? Couldn't bend down a few times and poor options/decison making. We really need him to step up.

GWS will be as tough as it gets. They are quick and teams with speed often worry us. If we can turn it into a dog fight and contested footy we can beat them. Their game was an absolute smash and bash affair for 120 mins. They maybe a little sore.

Totally agree in regard to Hipwood, very ordinary. That is two goals in his last four finals games. Not a good return for a tall forward.

We've already wasted too much time on Robbo.

We managed Payne exceptionally well this year after the misstep of last year and wouldn't it be our luck for him to land awkwardly in the fashion that he did.

If he's sort of not quite right for next week we face a tough decision as to whether to roll the dice with him straight away or hope Joyce can do a job and we can get to the Prelim.

Lucky for us the club decided to retain Joyce and extend him by a year in 2023. He's become crucial for us at various stages this year, I'm sure he'll do a job if called upon for semi-final.

That being said - Payne's aggression yesterday was new to me. Really hope he's back next week, an aggressive Payne might be a really good matchup for Hogan and help release Andrews.

Mitch Robinson’s behaviour starting to look increasingly pathetic.

Showed up without a pass, so Gabba security rightfully refuse entry.

Club finds out and scrambles to get him a pass.

Mitch cracks the sads because we don’t get passes for his blackout drunk mates.

Then drags us on social media. Utterly childish and pathetic. Burning bridges.

IMG_7825.jpeg

Mitch Robinson’s behaviour starting to look increasingly pathetic.

Showed up without a pass, so Gabba security rightfully refuse entry.

Club finds out and scrambles to get him a pass.

Mitch cracks the sads because we don’t get passes for his blackout drunk mates.

Then drags us on social media. Utterly childish and pathetic. Burning bridges.

View attachment 2104952

Robbo trying to stay relevant. Should be ignored going forward.

Off all people (being an Ex-Lion, bled for the club, got all those stitches and all), he should know this is the type of distraction we don't need prior to a final. Muppett.

As Fagan said. The Blues were never in it. We never looked even close to losing despite Carlton throwing everything at us in the second half

I thought in his tweet he said he was with his family.

Getting Dayne Beams vibes from Robbo in early retirement unfortunately, just replace the paintings with video blogs

Did you actually watch the game? Morris missed a set shot right in front from 10m. And then (what goes on in this blokes head) joked with the goal umpire about it. It was harder to miss than kick.it.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

To be able to joke about that with the goal umpire quickly after is probably a good thing. We don’t need our players to be in their own heads about missed shots when there’s a game going on.

This is Zac Bailey and the Pies bullshit all over again.

Hasn't recovered from his dreadful GF experience IMO. Back to the lame one-arm marking attempts and really poor disposal decisions. Just contest fiercely and work from that.
What? He was one of the form key forwards in the comp for a number of weeks this season. He’s clearly playing injured but even so I didn’t think he was that bad, just needs to tidy up his disposal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you actually watch the game? Morris missed a set shot right in front from 10m. And then (what goes on in this blokes head) joked with the goal umpire about it. It was harder to miss than kick.it.
What do you think getting dirty on yourself accomplishes?

Hasn't recovered from his dreadful GF experience IMO. Back to the lame one-arm marking attempts and really poor disposal decisions. Just contest fiercely and work from that.
Is clearly carrying an injury.

There is no tall forward option to take Eric Hipwood's spot even if Fagan wanted to so the discussion is fatuous.

I thought in his tweet he said he was with his family.

Getting Dayne Beams vibes from Robbo in early retirement unfortunately, just replace the paintings with video blogs
To be fair, plenty of footballers have trouble making the transition to life after football. Robbo’s backup plan appears to be retaining a social media following and generating content - which could be something of diminishing returns once he’s no longer in an elite professional sporting club.

Regarding this (and similar incidents) he could probably do with some media training/guidance, because it has the potential to limit genuine media / employment opportunities.

I see parallels with Aker… unfortunately it’s just how some people are wired.

To be fair, plenty of footballers have trouble making the transition to life after football. Robbo’s backup plan appears to be retaining a social media following and generating content - which could be something of diminishing returns once he’s no longer in an elite professional sporting club.

Regarding this (and similar incidents) he could probably do with some media training/guidance, because it has the potential to limit genuine media / employment opportunities.

Absolutely, you hear players talk about the structure football brings to their lives so for some being out of that environment means they slip into bad habits again, I think I remember Mitch mentioning he has ADHD as well at one point, would not doubt be tough on him going back to ‘normal’ life but slagging off the club is not the answer. Hopefully that’s the last we hear of this behaviour from him

Maybe Aker should take on Mitch Robbo at his agency.
1725770980481.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Elimination Final, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Back