EDFL Premier Div 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn’t even know the price of a hot dog down there let alone what any of the players are being paid & if they took a pay cuts or not
Certain players on you list are telling others they didn’t. Be careful loose lips since ships lol

Reduced salary cap so players on less per game than <2019

yes I realise the salary caps of all leagues have been lowered. And I’m being a bit mischievous , But I doubt a lot of players payments would have changed from the contracts they had last year. I’m sure the loyal locals have, but not the mercenaries. And not just having a crack at this league. Just my opinion.

yes I realise the salary caps of all leagues have been lowered. And I’m being a bit mischievous , But I doubt a lot of players payments would have changed from the contracts they had last year. I’m sure the loyal locals have, but not the mercenaries. And not just having a crack at this league. Just my opinion.
Blind Freddy can see that there's plenty breaching the cap.
Clubs recruited for 2020 against a much higher cap & recruited again for 2021 having lost few/no players.
Above board? Yeah, sure..

11 goals 2 to be exact Turbo. Didn't know Galea was out though. Saw Pacco last week. Good honest side, but still think Keilor will win by plenty. Sorry.
All good mate. Just know that they usually do well against Keilor without winning. McGuane’s coaching has won them games in the past. I agree Pacco need to take a big scalp this year and beat a Keilor or an Abers.

clubs been called into league HQ next wednesday.... anyone know why?
That would be the umpire shortage caused by Ian Kyte after he saw fit to cut the pay of all umpires.
What Ian didn't understand is that there is little glory in being an umpire and money is seen by them as their reward for doing a good job putting up with all the arguments, abuse, back chat, etc.
It's the one area where money couldn't be cut back and this predicament is directly on Ian Kyte.
Other leagues who haven't cut salaries don't have the issues of the EDFL. Those former EDFL umpires are now either gone or umpiring in other leagues.
It's a shame when some clubs have allegedly gone or going to the EDFL to advise that they won't play without umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be the umpire shortage caused by Ian Kyte after he saw fit to cut the pay of all umpires.
What Ian didn't understand is that there is little glory in being an umpire and money is seen by them as their reward for doing a good job putting up with all the arguments, abuse, back chat, etc.
It's the one area where money couldn't be cut back and this predicament is directly on Ian Kyte.
Other leagues who haven't cut salaries don't have the issues of the EDFL. Those former EDFL umpires are now either gone or umpiring in other leagues.
It's a shame when some clubs have allegedly gone or going to the EDFL to advise that they won't play without umpires.
Lots of leagues are struggling with umpires atm not just the EDFL. I know that VAFA is also struggling

Lots of leagues are struggling with umpires atm not just the EDFL. I know that VAFA is also struggling

Yes but the problem is being exacerbated by direct actions of the CEO:

- No replacement of the full time umpires management role. This has directly led to the significant reduction in recruitment of umpires during off season. Essentially there was no targeted recruitment. That in turn has led to a shortfall in umpire numbers of about 100 for the league.

- A push by the CEO to enforce pay cuts across the board. 11.25% for seniors, and 10% for juniors. So cutting kids pay....🙄

- Overall disrespect shown to the umpiring group and a lack of understanding of the role this group plays in the League

I would certainly hope that the clubs aren’t being spoken to / treated in this way, otherwise his position may become untenable.

Yes, most leagues are struggling with umpire numbers, so why would anyone then think it's a good idea to cut their pay.

And to make it worse, there is no strategy in place to recruit new umpires.

Add those 2 together and you have the current situation

Not sure what's happening at Craigieburn is sustainable for a whole season. Is there a risk a bye may be created if they cant field a team?
Really inexcusable in my view, I understand they lost a fair chunk of their list but with covid had a full 12 months to rectify the situation and instead lost more.

Gee Stax Keilor by 10 goals?? I see Galea is out going by the selections. Pacco do play that ground well usually. Interesting game..
Pacco bloody stiff Turbo. 5 minutes into the 3rd Keilor was 8 goals up and flying. I was thinking my 68 point margin prediction might have been a bit conservative. Then we got a bit of a shower and Keilor didn’t look anywhere near as good. Their running, possession game dropped right off. Pacco went in a lot harder and turned it right around. They kicked 12 of the next 13 goals. I don’t think I’ve ever heard McGuane as animated as he was at 3 quarter time.

With 5 minutes to go Pacco led by 7 points and were playing like winners. To Keilor’s credit they kept at it and managed to snaffle 2 goals and led by 6 points. Polizzi had a Mark 40 metres from goal just before the siren to draw the game. Instead of having the shot he handballed to someone else. Unfortunately their kick drifted wide, and Keilor won by 5 points. Good game, Pacco very unlucky. A few things didn’t go their way at crucial times.

Not sure what's happening at Craigieburn is sustainable for a whole season. Is there a risk a bye may be created if they cant field a team?
Really inexcusable in my view, I understand they lost a fair chunk of their list but with covid had a full 12 months to rectify the situation and instead lost more.
The off field at the club has been a debacle for a number of years. Even in 2019 despite winning a premiership. Just managed to have the cattle. No leadership, no organisation, no planning, no idea to be truthful. More or less no board just a president and a secretary. Been that way for a long time. Watching them today it was pretty sad i must say, players will drop off copping those thumpings every week. The seniors and reserves would be bottom half of the table in div 1. It’s a massive fall from grace.

The off field at the club has been a debacle for a number of years. Even in 2019 despite winning a premiership. Just managed to have the cattle. No leadership, no organisation, no planning, no idea to be truthful. More or less no board just a president and a secretary. Been that way for a long time. Watching them today it was pretty sad i must say, players will drop off copping those thumpings every week. The seniors and reserves would be bottom half of the table in div 1. It’s a massive fall from grace.
Agree Bissa very sad indeed it's also sad that the club have genuine guns that jump ship and head to wallan as soon as they get promoted but happy to return in div 1, same happened last time.

Agree Bissa very sad indeed it's also sad that the club have genuine guns that jump ship and head to wallan as soon as they get promoted but happy to return in div 1, same happened last time.
And they don’t return for nothing either. Is it there fault. It’s a bit of both really. See the realality is these types of players get less money in premier than div1 as you need to recruit more players for premier and the players who dominate div1 then become average players in premier so they move on to get there usual payments. You need players who will commit and im sure some players you mentioned are repeat offenders.

In my opinion they missed the boat with developing there junior program years ago and now the juniors are not playing a lot of Div1 footy. Im shocked where they currently are tbh. I was really impressed with what they built last year and then to see where they are now is a shock.
Can he coach at the top level as his record in the top grade isn’t great. Or is it something else?

Last edited:
At the rate there going....there will be nothing to return to....the EDFL should have stepped in before the start of the season and put them in Div 2.

And they don’t return for nothing either. Is it there fault. It’s a bit of both really. See the realality is these types of players get less money in premier than div1 as you need to recruit more players for premier and the players who dominate div1 then become average players in premier so they move on to get there usual payments. You need players who will commit and im sure some players you mentioned are repeat offenders.

Who is they and these? IMMSMC, only Jess Davies has returned back to Craigieburn after a 2 year stint at Wallan.

In my opinion they missed the boat with developing there junior program years ago and now the juniors are not playing a lot of Div1 footy. Im shocked where they currently are tbh. I was really impressed with what they built last year and then to see where they are now is a shock.
Can he coach at the top level as his record in the top grade isn’t great. Or is it something else?

Bissa3 already hinted at what he thinks the problem is.

To be fair wallan have done well out of craigieburn viani,boyall,davies,Stewart,Mackertich,bonnello to name a few there’s more nugget would of had 18 since he has been coach of wallan

To be fair wallan have done well out of craigieburn viani,boyall,davies,Stewart,Mackertich,bonnello to name a few there’s more nugget would of had 18 since he has been coach of wallan

The Bonello brothers are Greenvale juniors, Stewart a Northern Saints, EDS junior, the rest aren't "these or they" players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back