Drafting brothers; Matt Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is a sly chance that Matt Crouch could still be available when it comes to our first pick in the upcoming 2013 AFL national draft. What are your thoughts on drafting brothers? Are there advantages and disadvantages? Would Brad be upset if we overlooked his brother if he was available at this draft? On the other hand, if we select Matt, but he doesn't make it, he is eventually delisted or is overlooked for selection, could this potentially cause disillusionment and resentment that could rub off onto his brother?

My thoughts are that we must retain integrity and if there is a standout player that we rank when we get our pick(s), we go for him. If there are a few we rank about the same, we go for the one that best fill a need on our list and future development. If the best players available are Matt and someone similar, we go for Matt.

We had the Jarman brothers together for a short time. PP have had their share of brothers. I would welcome any thoughts regarding drafting brothers in general and the drafting of Matt Crouch in particular in the off chance he is still available.

I recall one of the Wakekin twins saying the best thing that happened to them was eventually playing separately. I think you have to be very careful in assuming brothers want to play together

I want Crouch because he does give a potentially elite player that will fill a need (thommo's replacement). I like Lyons but jury is really out on him and he doesn't seem to be apart of our future plans, by how Sando talks about our youngsters. (Talk about a guy that needs a big 2014).

Give him a season to clean up foot skills and get the endurance up and he'll be another tough as nails burrower.

I'm not worried about that brothers stuff and if there is no outside player that look like potentially elite players, then i hope we do pick him up. It's a need but not as much as other areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd will be gone by pick 5

463.jpg

Boyd seems to be almost a certainty to be taken at #1. Not sure I agree with that entirely though.

Regardless of whether Matt is available we should ensure that we pick the best player available. In Fact it might sound a bit silly but its possible that we might not select the best player available but rather the best player that suits our needs.

Regardless of whether Matt is available we should ensure that we pick the best player available. In Fact it might sound a bit silly but its possible that we might not select the best player available but rather the best player that suits our needs.

It would depend on the gap in talent between the "best available" and "fits our need. If there's a no brainer slider and the guy who fits your need clearly isn't going to be as good, then I'd take the best available.

It would depend on the gap in talent between the "best available" and "fits our need. If there's a no brainer slider and the guy who fits your need clearly isn't going to be as good, then I'd take the best available.

I think that goes without saying. I am only saying that its possible that the best available may not get picked if there is someone else available that meets a need for the club.

I recall one of the Wakekin twins saying the best thing that happened to them was eventually playing separately. I think you have to be very careful in assuming brothers want to play together

Yeah it might apply that way sometimes but I also know AFL brothers that were desperate to play with each other. It might not matter, or it might. Only the club knows I suppose unless anyone has any inside info on the Crouch family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back