Don Pyke

Remove this Banner Ad

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don Pyke

He lost his job because of Mark Ricciuto and that camp! Only lost a flag because nobody had seen Richmond and that manic pressure, nobody knew them at this point. Sure Dusty the hero!

Don Pyke was slaughtered but he knows his stuff! Who will be brave enough to appoint him head coach?

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does he want to be a head coach?

He didn't want the Pies job which I think would be reasonably appealing - you're never going to go without in the footy department area.

Not sure what Carlton offers that the Pies didn't, that would make him sway his mind.

I feel very sorry for Don Pyke, the guy can coach. He ended up at the wrong club at wrong time. it was amazing he got them to a GF given what he had to deal with. From an outsider looking in he couldnt survive that incestuous old boys club with guys like Burton who should never have been give a job at any AFL club let alone Crows. very average chairman, a totally conflicted buffoon football director and a CEO who didnt seem to have a clue about AFL. I admire the way Pyke has conducted himself since, he left quietly and took up other coaching roles. AM sure he has plenty to say about the crows but he isnt that kind of bloke.

I'm sure he's quite in demand, but he'll wait for the job that suits him best. Being senior assistant at Sydney is a pretty good gig for now. Gold Coast should throw big bucks at him if they can't land Clarko. And maybe that's a better job than Collingwood or Carlton, in the sense there's practically no media scrutiny by comparison.

If Justin Longmuir doesnt deliver finals for freo next season and is sacked, I would love to get him. A few freo fans would love him at freo

Does he want to be a head coach?

He didn't want the Pies job which I think would be reasonably appealing - you're never going to go without in the footy department area.

Not sure what Carlton offers that the Pies didn't, that would make him sway his mind.
He probably wants a functional board without a boys club before he goes elsewhere, and with respect to them that rules out Carlton and Collingwood.

Taking over from Horse in a couple of years would be a possibility. The West Coast job could be available in a year which would be attractive. And Fagan isn’t exactly young at Brissie.

have seen don pyke eating and drinking out at multiple venues with other coaches and players while i was there recently so i can only assume he has very good taste. just like me ;)

backing him in to make a good coach at Carlton.

Lost the players completely towards the end, entire club was a toxic mess at the time though. We were good offensively under him but often leaked goal after goal with no plan B
Which coach actually has a plan B? Isn’t plan B simply attempt to get the game back on your terms?

Plan B has become such an overrated and overused piece of jargon that it really doesn’t mean anything.

Which coach actually has a plan B? Isn’t plan B simply attempt to get the game back on your terms?

Plan B has become such an overrated and overused piece of jargon that it really doesn’t mean anything.

Plan B is just pulling levers when things re going wrong, e.g. Richmond at HT in last years GF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was less of a plan B issue and more so that throughout his tenure when we lost control of games we bled badly. He seemingly wasn’t able to work out a way that when the team was being beaten to minimise the damage so that when you get the game back on your terms you’re still in it.

That being said I still think he’s a good coach, and I’m sure he’s learnt in his time since and will be better the second time around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don Pyke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back