Do you want the Premiership cup to stay in your own state if your team dosen't win it?

If the Grand Final is between a Vic and non-Vic team, in general, most of the time you would want:

• I Support a non-Victorian team, want the Victorian team to win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If your team can’t make it, most Victorian footy followers wish for a big 4 GF clash with the massive crowds and all the psychotic supporters. It’s just ingrained from childhood somehow.
But these mighty games don’t happen very often and when a WC, port , Freo, Adelaide or Swans side plays in a GF…it just feels slightly off. It’s the vibe.

Brisbane’s golden era with Voss and Mathews was the turning point in terms of respect for a great interstate team. But no one has matched it yet.

Most of the time interstate sides get pulverised in GFs and that’s very boring.

This is an age thing though.

I've been a religious level footy fan for almost 30 years and the first Grand Final I remember watching was North Melbourne vs Sydney.

The big 4 concept exists for the clubs involved and anybody old enough to remember Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond winning flags every other year that it wasn't being won by Hawthorn.

From an atmosphere perspective, Carlton vs Collingwood is a crazy thing to consider this year as a possibility. But honestly, if you guarantee me a good contest I'll take Brisbane vs GWS right now without hesitation. Most of it's the same watching on TV anyway.

If your team can’t make it, most Victorian footy followers wish for a big 4 GF clash with the massive crowds and all the psychotic supporters. It’s just ingrained from childhood somehow.
But these mighty games don’t happen very often and when a WC, port , Freo, Adelaide or Swans side plays in a GF…it just feels slightly off. It’s the vibe.

Brisbane’s golden era with Voss and Mathews was the turning point in terms of respect for a great interstate team. But no one has matched it yet.

The fact that opinions like this still exist typify the bs comp this is. Bar the expansion clubs (but actually possibly them too) any combination of two clubs could and would fill out the G on GF day.

I'd argue that's very dependant on the era you've grown up in.

I'm in my twenties, so in terms of the 'Big 4' I've mainly seen incompetence outside of the Pies, and even then it hasn't resulted in premierships.

The Tiges had an awesome era, but I'm old enough to remember some darker days, so that still felt very out of place through 2017. Very similar to the Dogs the year prior.

I suspect a Carlton vs Collingwood GF would be awesome, and Melbourne would be buzzing all week, but I can't say I'm wishing for it to happen, or that it would feel 'normal'. Don't mind if it does occur, but not overly fussed either way.

If anything, it would feel really weird to have 2 traditional powerhouse clubs up at the same time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is for those under 30, all we've ever known is a more even competition.

Everyone seems to get a go in the GF eventually, and there's certainly no ingrained bias that Carlton, Collingwood etc look more 'normal' on the big day than any other club.

For me, it looks most normal when it's the Eagles, Hawks, Cats, Swans & more recently, the Tigers running out with that Grand Final emblem.

For instance (and this isn't a personal dig) for my generation, seeing Essendon on the last Saturday in September wouldlook 'off' in some way, because it goes against everything we've ever known.

It just shows how much things have changed since the suburban days, and in turn how supporters perspectives have shaped depending on age.
Im 42 and even with me all I have really known is an even comp. I first have memories following footy like 88-89 really, so I got the tailend of the Hawks domination, and start of Eagles, but its been pretty cyclical the last 30 odd years, obviously some clubs well run maximising their time near the top and those badly run the opposite (like my club).

I would hate to see Port win a premiership, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Seeing them losing a knockout final is almost as good as my club winning one.
It’s vengeful satisfaction watching your enemies burn at the stake.

I will hope for one of those great moments when lions do a number on Carlton.

WC is a big 4 club. We saw a big 4 GF in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sick of the fairytale BS that always seems to surround a Melbourne club that has been s**t for decades. They finally come good and everyone gets on the bandwagon, including those running and officiating the game.

I'm okay with Collingwood winning it though. They've been a fantastic side for two years now and would be deserving winners.

I tend to go for whichever team has not won one recently (or ever). This year probably support GWS if they make the GF.

Preferences at the moment for the flag:

1: GWS
2: Brisbane
3: Collingwood
9001: Carlton

Hopefully that answers your question
Same except swap Brisbane and GWS.

Though I could deal with hearing its a big big sound for a few months.

The buildup to an all interstate GF would be a little lacklustre in Melbourne. If you don’t know a colleague or family member supporting a participating club, most don’t get into it as much.

Should GWS win a fairytale flag this year, premiership merchandise and memorabilia sales will take a big hit. Not many GWS members and supporters here. I think most people will be happy for them but the talk would turn to cricket the Monday after the GF for the majority of Melbourne. Or preseason footy for those not into cricket.

Most people will still watch it but at a house or party of neutrals, unless it’s the most amazing spectacle of a game, the match loses some excitement. More relaxing though for all concerned.

Couldn’t care less about what state and it wouldn’t bother me either way about the sides remaining winning.

It would be great for the Giants winning a first one , the story of the new coach, Toby captain and where the finished on the ladder.

Carlton because of the time frame since the last one and again winning from outside top 4. People wanted Voss sacked during the season.

Pies would be well deserved , love Fly and what he’s done with them. Probably the best team to watch playing style.

Lions probably the one I’d be least excited about out of the 4 since the had the dominant run with the three peat. Wouldn’t mind seeing Daniher rewarded with a flag, yep he gives some WTF moments but an under rated player.

Back