Do you think getting Josh Gibson is a good move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else think its a bit ridiculous how short the AFL trade period is? Teams need more than a single week to work out trades, its way to short.

They will start by asking for pick 9, when that is refused, pick 25 and a player, and I have a feeling they may be interested in Dowler.

Don't count your chickens on Gibson. Remember that Thornton wanted to come and we didn't get him. It wasn't a big loss because Thornton is a gutless lightweight, but I'll believe he's in a Hawthorn jumper when i see it... and not just the Herald Sun's pathetic photoshop of it.

They will start by asking for pick 9, when that is refused, pick 25 and a player, and I have a feeling they may be interested in Dowler.

I can reassure you we don't want Dowler.

Pick 9 + Pick 25
for
Josh Gibson and Pick 18.

That's got to be the deal if you want him.

The club will be taking a stand and sending a message this year. We're not the off-field basket-case we used to be.

And seriously, when you consider Gibson is going to finish in the top 5 of our BnF this year, is 24, young, versatile and talented, it's a very win-win deal for both clubs.

Does anyone else think its a bit ridiculous how short the AFL trade period is? Teams need more than a single week to work out trades, its way to short.
I actually think they could tighten it up a bit Hodges. My impression is that clubs don't go into the week without doing a truckload of ground work (which actually makes the "trade week" a bit of a misnomer). For me it just stretches out the peripheral scuttlebutt and Bull***t that get's bandied about by player managers & the media.

We would have to re tile all the showers at waverly in a non slip surface.:D:D

Sounds good to me, he is'nt after a million dollars and hopefull wont cost to much. He is a good(not great) defender. I would prefer this option than wasting time trying to land Lake and paying a f....ing fortune for it.

If we get Josh Gibson he will play at Full Back which has been a bit of a bugbear for us for a while now. He's pretty strong as a backman.

This won't affect Goo and whoever else wanting to play there.

I think he fits our structure well, he is flexible in what position he plays, can play small and tall, and has reasonable disposal. He is just young enough to fit in with the current position of our list development. He is not the answer to our full back problems IMO, but if he is available we should definately be after him.

Don't be suprised to see pick 9 offered. This is a weaker draft than the last couple of years. I reckon you will see North put a huge price on his head in an attempt to get the best possible deal out of us.

To be honest, i reckon he would take the Tom Murphy third tall possie, as he isn't necessarily big enough for full back or centre half back. He played in the middle a few times this year I think too. Realistically, i'd like him, but if we can get Lake, or someone like Carlisle or Chaplin from Port, i'd take them first as they are more KP than Gibbo

Putting aside all the Hawks v North Melbourne animosity that is floating around at the moment, let me give you guys an idea of what type of defender Josh Gibson is.

He has played on (and beaten);

• Lance Franklin (as you'd all know. Remember the 2007 Semi Final?)
  • Matthew Pavlich
  • Nick Riewoldt
  • Matthew Lloyd
  • Brendan Fevola
  • Barry Hall - (Barry one of the few power forwards that probably got the best of Gibson)
  • Jonathan Brown
  • + others

He is a very solid and mobile defender, and his body to body work is spectacular. Not to mention that is is more than capable of going into the midfield (just watch some of his games this year as an example - particularly round 22 against Port).

I have a feeling the reason he's looking at options elsewhere is because with the development of Thompson, Grima and Hansen coming along nicely, plus the obvious revelation that Brad Scott is looking at playing all the very young kids next year so as to develop with the playing group equally, Gibson probably (rightfully) feels his services will be better applied elsewhere.

He'd be a great pickup for you guys.

Pick 9 is about right for him. Probably an exchange of 2nd round picks is a good equaliser.

Would barely be in the Top 100 players in the comp.

If you truly believe that, then you should be angry at your club who is willing to pay him $1million over three years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting aside all the Hawks v North Melbourne animosity that is floating around at the moment, let me give you guys an idea of what type of defender Josh Gibson is.

• Lance Franklin (as you'd all know. Remember the 2007 Semi Final?)
  • Matthew Pavlich
  • Nick Riewoldt
  • Matthew Lloyd
  • Brendan Fevola
  • Barry Hall - (Barry one of the few power forwards that probably got the best of Gibson)
  • Jonathan Brown
  • + others

Interesting to read this years Prospectus which says "he conceeded more goals (57) than any other player in the competition during last years home and away matches, finishing with a clean sheet just twice, both against Melbourne. He conceeded three or more goals on 13 occasions (from 19 games), including six to Brendan Fevola and five to Lance Franklin." That said, I'd take Gibson for pick 25, which is probably what Hawthorn will offer.

Then why is he on your list?

Gibbo 'beat' (ie. played servicably upon) them all with a backline set up to be able to break off and help him out. We've got defenders who can do that already, if we want to set up like that.
There is no way known you will be getting pick 9 for Josh Gibson.

Fuhgeddaboudit.

Getting Josh Gibson would be perfect in my opinion. He can play as a key defender, but also as a half back flanker. This will allow 2 things: Ryan Schoenmakers will still be given every opportunity to improve at Centre half-back and Luke Hodge will be allowed to play more as a midfielder.

I guess that all of us Hawks supporters have to respect the opinions of the North Melbourne supporters.
If they think that Josh Gibson is worth pick 9 then who are we to question them.

Josh would be great for the Hawks next year and I really hope that we can get a fair deal done.

However, I don't think that any deal regarding Josh Gibson and Hawthorn will involve our first pick.

It's not that he's not worth it, it's just that with the compromised drafts coming up I think we would be fools to give away this pick that could result in a Ben Cunnignton, Luke Tapscott or Daniel Talia coming to our club.

But who knows, anything could happen.

From an outsider's pov I don't think it would hurt (depending on what you have to trade) to get him until someone better comes along.

On another note, Parko on 'AFL Teams' tonight hinted at something big in the next couple of days regarding Hawthorn and their defence. I don't know if it was fluff or if he is onto something. By "big" I would assume someone of the ilk of say Brian Lake. Does anyone know anything?

I think he'd be very good for you guys, you don't really have a defender with his quick closing speed.

I'll be sad to see him go, but he'd get a regular spot in your team, so career-wise its probably better for Josh.

I think he's worth more than pick 25, but I'm not so sure we would get more than that. I'd rather get something for him than nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think getting Josh Gibson is a good move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back