Preview Do or Die vs Dons pre match discussion thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Basti played close to his best game on the weekend (not really counting the one against GWS).

Go back and have a look at some of his in close work. He is starting to slip tackles a bit more, and is getting handballs out in traffic where earlier in the season he was getting caught.

I agree, but his decision-making lets him down at times. He'll improve his vision and awareness with experience.

This talk of Scott's favoritism never ceases to amaze me. He shows faith in players ability, and more often then not they reward it, as all good coaches do. We need to give the kids confidence ffs. If we yo-yo players we get nowhere. And just because we bigfooty experts don't know the reasons, doesn't mean the match committee that's right a committee not just Scott, don't have perfectly valid reasons. After all the are the ones that deal with the players on a daily basis and set these players tasks in a game.

Doesn't Mullett qualify as a young player? Why can his (and others) confidence be toyed with and not others?

He has been extremely unlucky this year when compared to the opportunites others have been given. I dont need to know all the selection committee reasons, as the performances on the field say everything - Macmillan has been playing poorly and if Cunners was dropped to work on his game, so should JMac.

The constant defending of JMac and what he provides over similar VFL players "never ceases to amame" me in reverse.

You can't compare good VFL performances with "similar" players who are playing at AFL speed against AFL opponents under AFL pressure.

The coaches have expectations of every player at every level. If they don't do enough of what's expected they can be moved to a lower level to practice some things and prove they have listened and learned. Looking from outside and saying one player has done well at VFL level and another has made mistakes at AFL level, therefore they should be switched, is just silly. I defend the coaches rather than individual players - we just don't know enough, and their plans and strategies seem to be working at individual and team level at the moment.

If only the coaching staff could take us all into their confidence & explain where they see each player fitting into the team - strengths, weaknesses etc. Surely the benefits of being a boutique club is that we could all be part of the inner-circle. Yet Bon is brilliant & letting out snippets so you get a sense of what they are thinking.

Not going to wade into this discussion because there are always intangibles involved, but Mullet was much cleaner with the ball on the weekend than JMac has been in many games this year.

You can't compare good VFL performances with "similar" players who are playing at AFL speed against AFL opponents under AFL pressure.

The coaches have expectations of every player at every level. If they don't do enough of what's expected they can be moved to a lower level to practice some things and prove they have listened and learned. Looking from outside and saying one player has done well at VFL level and another has made mistakes at AFL level, therefore they should be switched, is just silly. I defend the coaches rather than individual players - we just don't know enough, and their plans and strategies seem to be working at individual and team level at the moment.

Mullett has shown it at AFL level - or did you miss the weekends game and those previous when he looked like he has plenty to offer?

Whats silly is blindly hoping we will continue winning with players that are clearly out of form, but with flattering results against WB and Melb meaning thats ignored.

In: Adams
Out: JMac

Probably the only change, we will need Campbell with LT out.
Garlett was pretty good last week.
Who do you think will be the sub?

Would be very upset if JMac was dropped.

The Coach keeps talking about our forward line as a unit and that individual performances are less important than what they do as a whole. Us as supporters should apply this theory to the whole team (If we all did this there would certainly be no booing of Tarrant).

JMac has been a big part of a sucsessful unit for the last 8 weeks and needs to stay in the team.

Play as a unit and we win the game.

On selection issues, you don't change a winning team unless you have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be very upset if JMac was dropped.

The Coach keeps talking about our forward line as a unit and that individual performances are less important than what they do as a whole. Us as supporters should apply this theory to the whole team (If we all did this there would certainly be no booing of Tarrant).

JMac has been a big part of a sucsessful unit for the last 8 weeks and needs to stay in the team.

Play as a unit and we win the game.

In what way?

Who's to say we wouldn't have played better "as a unit" with a replacement?

Why is Gibson playing, he wasn't part of the round 1 "unit"? He has added real value. What about H? We are playing better with one ruckman, not two despite plans for him to be in the "unit"? Hansen was added to the strucutre - should he be dropped as he wasn't part of the "unit"? Also added value. Cunners likewise.......etc etc etc. It can change as per current requirements and form.

In what way?

Why is Gibson playing, he wasn't part of the round 1 "unit"? He has added real value. What about H? We are playing better with one ruckman, not two despite plans for him to be in the "unit"? Hansen was added to the strucutre - should he be dropped as he wasn't part of the "unit"? Also added value. Cunners likewise.......etc etc etc. It can change as per current requirements and form.

The bloke above did mention the last 8 weeks. Prior that we clearly didn't have the 'unit' to win the games we are winning now.

And if Adams is fit - we have to. Same with Jack and LT the following week.

So you would give a bloke who came on in junk time against the bulldogs and played pretty well a gig over a bloke who has proven himself over the past two years to be an important part of our backline?

And if Adams is fit - we have to. Same with Jack and LT the following week.
Those 3 blokes you have mentioned have all played - and very well - during the winning "streak" so are not what I would call unexpected changes.

It's a nice position to be in to have to choose who to leave out rather than who to include.

The bloke above did mention the last 8 weeks. Prior that we clearly didn't have the 'unit' to win the games we are winning now.

Isn't that my exact point? There have been numerous changes since our first game to the structure to become a winning unit. JMac is not one of them - he has been a constant.

On the basis that changes were required to improve the unit, why does the same theory no longer apply?

Isn't that my exact point? There have been numerous changes since our first game to the structure to become a winning unit. JMac is not one of them - he has been a constant.

On the basis that changes were required to improve the unit, why does the same theory no longer apply?

notsureifsrs

If it's not broke?

In what way?

8 weeks ago Gibo came in and Goldy started hitting form after the failed 2 ruckamn experiment.

Would you drop Harper? Him amd JMac get similar stats but Harps gets the chance to hit the scoreboard because of his position on the ground. Infact i just found this.....

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3349&tid2=13&pid2=3472&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

9 possessions per game ave. this year for Harps but no way in hell i would remove him from the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Do or Die vs Dons pre match discussion thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back