Speculation Devon Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

He can still have a long career, but I don't consider a 23/24 year old a young footballer any more.

Each to their own however, that's simply arguing semantics.

Injuries or not I think he was up against it to establish himself in a strong Brisbane side.

For sure injuries may have helped his cause but I think ultimately I think choosing not to move simply delayed the inevitable by 12 months.

Nothing wrong with it and as I said, I admire the thought to fight for a spot, but to me it seems a no brainer now.

Nah. He played 16 games in 2023 and will Ashcroft wasn’t due back until the back part of the season, well after the bye. We also didn’t add anyone at the end of 2023 that would take his spot. Basically had a spot locked down before the injuries I mentioned.

Nah. He played 16 games in 2023 and will Ashcroft wasn’t due back until the back part of the season, well after the bye. We also didn’t add anyone at the end of 2023 that would take his spot. Basically had a spot locked down before the injuries I mentioned.

He played 16 games at VFL level this season, on top of his 2 at AFL level.

I’m not sure it’s controversial to suggest he was up against it to cement a senior spot. It’s exactly what has transpired.

He played 16 games at VFL level this season, on top of his 2 at AFL level.

I’m not sure it’s controversial to suggest he was up against it to cement a senior spot. It’s exactly what has transpired.

That predominantly transpired because of injuries during the preseason and early in the year. Otherwise he would have cemented a spot as he had done the previous year.

I’m not sure what part you don’t understand. He couldn’t have foreseen injuries would derail his season.

That predominantly transpired because of injuries during the preseason and early in the year. Otherwise he would have cemented a spot as he had done the previous year.

He might’ve, could’ve, perhaps should’ve cemented a spot…but he didn’t.

The reasons why aren’t particularly relevant.

The previous year? 16 games out of 26, with a third of them sub affected.

Perhaps we have different definitions of “cementing a spot”.

I’m not sure what part you don’t understand. He couldn’t have foreseen injuries would derail his season.

I understand everything.

You say he established himself. I think most would suggest otherwise.

Why? Who knows. Perhaps you think talking him up might increase his value, but we’re on a footy forum, not the negotiating table.

He might’ve, could’ve, perhaps should’ve cemented a spot…but he didn’t.

The reasons why aren’t particularly relevant.

The previous year? 16 games out of 26, with a third of them sub affected.

Perhaps we have different definitions of “cementing a spot”.

I understand everything.

You say he established himself. I think most would suggest otherwise.

Why? Who knows. Perhaps you think talking him up might increase his value, but we’re on a footy forum, not the negotiating table.

It’s relevant to the hindsight point you’re trying to make that in 2023 he should have known to go to the eagles because he was up against it.

He was established as regular bottom 6 player in a top team. It’s a tale as old as time that when those players get injuries at the wrong time and others come in and play well (and don’t get injured)…there can be a struggle to get back into the side. Prior to those injuries he was penciled into the side for this year.

He’s currently worth a late third or fourth rounder.

Telling me that we’re not at the negotiating table and on a footy forum. Skin must be getting a bit thin there.

It’s relevant to the hindsight point you’re trying to make that in 2023 he should have known to go to the eagles because he was up against it.

I literally said I have no problem with him choosing to stay, and that I admire the attitude to fight for a place.

Whatever else you’re choosing to read into it is on you. But don’t attempt to misquote someone to suit your argument.

I literally said I have no problem with him choosing to stay, and that I admire the attitude to fight for a place.

Whatever else you’re choosing to read into it is on you. But don’t attempt to misquote someone to suit your argument.

I think you’re taking this a bit personally. I have no interest or care for your opinion on the bold, that’s a fine opinion to have no issue. I was addressing a separate discreet point you made.

I’m not misquoting you to suit my argument. Calm down. I’ll leave it there.

I think you’re taking this a bit personally. I have no interest or care for your opinion on the bold, that’s a fine opinion to have no issue. I was addressing a separate discreet point you made.

I’m not misquoting you to suit my argument. Calm down. I’ll leave it there.

Nope. Not taking it personally at all.

Just find it hilarious that you’re now trying to backtrack after doing exactly what I suggested you did.

Even after I clarified my position which was already pretty clear.

But yes. I agree it’s best you move on.

What are you basing this on?

FWIW, I'm not fussed either way, as long as it's a 4th round swap or something along those lines.

Not much in particular but I can’t see the Lions looking to trade him for peanuts and the guy appears to be committed to the club - and still has a year to run on his contract.

Re. The Eagles, given the turn over in the Recruitment space since last year, he’d be no guarantee to be at the top of the list anymore.

I reckon he stays at Brisbane and sees where he is at at the end of next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much in particular but I can’t see the Lions looking to trade him for peanuts and the guy appears to be committed to the club - and still has a year to run on his contract.

Re. The Eagles, given the turn over in the Recruitment space since last year, he’d be no guarantee to be at the top of the list anymore.

I reckon he stays at Brisbane and sees where he is at at the end of next season.
Fair enough.

I reckon if he wants to go, Brisbane wouldn't play hard ball.
He's only worth peanuts TBH.

He has to read the tea leaves. Another top 3 father son midfielder coming into a team he is already not a best 23 in. Better for him to be traded to the West Coast with family there and a strong chance to make the best 23.

He has to read the tea leaves. Another top 3 father son midfielder coming into a team he is already not a best 23 in. Better for him to be traded to the West Coast with family there and a strong chance to make the best 23.
They also have Sam Marshall, academy player, another top 25 mid in the draft too.

I get the fighting for your spot and backing yourself in but he really should have seen the writing on the wall and headed to WC last time. It was reasonably obvious then so I don't think it's a hindsight thing.

With the talent Brisbane are getting, he's just got no shot at getting a contract after this one given his age and playing style. I hope he finds somewhere else this year for his own sake.

Surely someone has to make a play at him, he is very young just finished top 5 in the VFL Liston medal and is behind a fair few at Brisbane in the pecking order.

Similar for Erasmus who is having a huge WAFL final series.
Who is Devon, something you use as a sandwich filler?

This guy is young enough, with all the tools to have a really good AFL career. If I was the Eagles list manager I'd have an offer under his eyes pronto.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Devon Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back