Review Dees V Eagles - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

THE GOOD When I told Kerr at close range to get off the horse drugs....

I thought Jack Watts played another good game. He was certainly better value on the day than NN. He is gut running too. IN two year's time

Dude that is seriously low. Did it make you feel better about the loss?

On a serious note, Jack Watts has been pretty good this year, but I thought he had a quiet one. NN had a pretty quiet one too, I would say neither had much impact on the game.

On a serious note, Jack Watts has been pretty good this year, but I thought he had a quiet one. NN had a pretty quiet one too, I would say neither had much impact on the game.

Get over it mate, you obviously don't know much about Biff. It was no doubt made in jest.

Watts was quiet, but he did some really nice things. Was solid.

mate, all I was trying to do was give some good advice to Daniel Kerr re the horse-drugs.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s1880444.htm

I am very sure he heard it - hopefully he will stop trying to emulate Keith Richards.

I believe that the only way we're going to improve our delivery and footskills is to bring in guys who can actually kick the ball and get rid of the ones who can't. Oh, and get rid of which ever moron/s allow these blokes to not practise their kicking.

What about asking Hawthorn if we can borrow Matt Suckling to teach our players how to kick! He has to be close to the best kick in the game at the moment. I reckon he kicks so accurately that he gets bored sometimes and so tries to do the special things like kick of the side of his boot around corners etc.....amazing skills...when's his contract up?

Yeh, British motherf**kers don't die.

And irt Suckling. You know when he was first drafted? 2007 rookie draft, ie. in line with the 06 ND.

You know how many games he has played? 23. Including 17 this year.

All those jumping on Strauss and Blease... pay attention.

Some players need time.

The Good;

Blease looked so settled out there, great pace and great skill, our best user of the footy yesterday.
Howe IMO could be the "big" forward we are after he hits the ball and packs hard. There was one passage of play at the conventry end a long kick to the forward line Howe jumped up and from 3 deep (should of bn a free for chopping the arms) but created spillage for eithe Watts or Sylvia to come through and kick the goal. He could be a Jack Riewoldt type not a big power forward but a bloke who attacks the contest hard and creates the play.
Jones tries week in week out, he took the game on yesterday and attacks the ball and man hard
Frawely was back to his best

The Bad;
To many times we zone off allowing easy possesion to the opposition, there is no forward pressure nor man on man teams are able to do as they please.
Kicking errors were terrible i noticed a real difference between our ball movement into the corridoor and west coast playing the boundry line then kicking into "hot spot" in the fwd 50.
Second quarter, are the players happy with just a 15 minute effort in the first quarter?

The Ugly;
I know we had a lot of ordinary players yesterday but i watched Morton closely. He didnt work hard enough, was outboided on a number of occassions, players walked around him, the kick on goal was terrible. One occasion didnt put his body in the way of the footy allowing a WCE player to walk round him.
Davey ditto above!
Blease looks like one of those players who performs better at this level than Casey. Should play out the entire season.

The great!:

Viney saying on radio that Davey need to ask himself whether he wants to continue playing football in the AFL or not & needes to take a look at himself.

I have defended him many times & still think hes a good player but just didn't look interested yesterday.

Great stuff that. Viney is right on the money and it's just the sort of rocket some of our players need. Bailey would have just said he needs to be more competitive.

Good
Blease - even if he has some work to do, is an exciting prospect
Howe - Another first year gamer among our best, should this be in the bad?
The second half

Bad
Our inaccuracy
Our older players during the first half
Sylvia not being a team player

Fugly
Our disposal efficiency
Hand balling through the zone
Our second term

Blease looks like one of those players who performs better at this level than Casey. Should play out the entire season.

Agree, I reckon he has much more time and space in the AFL to put his obvious pace and skill to proper use. I think you'll find the VFL to be a much more congested affair in general, hence not as conducive to his style of play.
Also the quality of grounds played on would be a massive improvement from the VFL.

Decision making can be changed though and I still think it has something to do with the style of football we play. They make the right decision more often than not but it's the area of the oval we turn it over in that hurts the most.

Disagree with Frawley. Ball drop is different but he hits many, many more targets than he misses.
Yes Decision does improve with experience you cant deny that, and your right alot of the times our backmen look up and have **** all to kick to so they have to thread the needle

I challenge you and everyone now that i have mentioned it to watch frawleys ball drop (no doubt bartrams sucks)
If you watch closely, if he was a forward there is no way he would be allowed to kick the way he does.. Yes he does hit alot of targets but he when he ****s up he misses badly, just keep an eye out for it

Ive done a little bit of technique training down at the local footy club an its just something ive noticed, the way he holds it it means he has to really kick through it because if he only chips it , it affects the spin on the ball, im surprised no one has tried to change it.

Watch leon davis kick the footy, his technique is majestic

Great stuff that. Viney is right on the money and it's just the sort of rocket some of our players need. Bailey would have just said he needs to be more competitive.
Man im loving what vineys doing, agree with both you and crimson, its about time the senior players were held accountable, because at times it felt like they had a free ride under bailey as he focused on the kids.

Hes shown both sylvia and davey where they stand, dropped jurrah... Just the captain to go

Funny with the amount of critisicm of Jonah on the boards, not one melbourne figure has ever had any bad words to say about him this season . He is quickly becoming my favourite player, because despite everything, he is one guy you can count on to have a dip week in week out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were saying the same thing at the ground. As dcrock says, we figured it was perhaps the perfect conditions that helped but he used his pace well to burn off a few opponents and his decision making and execution were generally very good, something he seems to get criticised for a Casey.

Good:
Blease
Howe & Petterd
Frawley, Garland and Rivers
Jones
Bartrams effort

Bad:
Bartrams disposal - could've just about been our best on if he could kick. Was disappointing as I'd thought his kicking had improved earlier in the year.
Lack of teamwork - we still play like individuals in the same uniform, not a team on the same page. Very few shepherds to provide time or leading to give options up the ground. Someone else will do it.

Fugly:
Second quarter black hole.
Morton - I keep trying to hope he will be alright but he was terrible yesterday. Had opportunities to be valuable but missed a simple goal with a farcical kick, barely hit a target and shirked contests. Davey is in the same category now and I'm not sure if a new coach alone can turn them around.
Crowd size - will always have Etihad games if we can only get crowd sizes to fill 15% of the G against interstate opposition.

Yes Decision does improve with experience you cant deny that, and your right alot of the times our backmen look up and have **** all to kick to so they have to thread the needle

I challenge you and everyone now that i have mentioned it to watch frawleys ball drop (no doubt bartrams sucks)
If you watch closely, if he was a forward there is no way he would be allowed to kick the way he does.. Yes he does hit alot of targets but he when he ****s up he misses badly, just keep an eye out for it

Ive done a little bit of technique training down at the local footy club an its just something ive noticed, the way he holds it it means he has to really kick through it because if he only chips it , it affects the spin on the ball, im surprised no one has tried to change it.

Watch leon davis kick the footy, his technique is majestic

No one will disagree with you Frawley has a different technique when kicking the footy but it is effective his miss-kicks are no worse than most other players in the AFL (he doesn't shank'em like C.Bruce use to do so horribly).

His disposal efficiency is 80% AFL is around 72% whilst he avg's under 2 clanger kicks out of his 12 kicks avg per game. No doubt Davis is one of the best kicks going around but each player has there own style, something of which is hard to change in players.

No one will disagree with you Frawley has a different technique when kicking the footy but it is effective his miss-kicks are no worse than most other players in the AFL (he doesn't shank'em like C.Bruce use to do so horribly).

His disposal efficiency is 80% AFL is around 72% whilst he avg's under 2 clanger kicks out of his 12 kicks avg per game. No doubt Davis is one of the best kicks going around but each player has there own style, something of which is hard to change in players.
No doubt, its not a complete change id be after, just the way he spreads his hands across the ball, just relax them a little and hold the ball on a little more of an angle rather than vertical.. If hes averaging 80%, im certain he can get even better then

I really wish we'd start drafting blokes like Mitch Robinson i.e. guys who are bloody animals with killer instincts who aren't pretty or educated but aren't afraid of a scrap and putting their head over the ball. I love the way he went up to Beamer and gave him a whack after he kicked a goal and starting mouthing off and goating him. The bloke has no fear and doesn't give a sh^t what anyone thinks about him - he just wants to get the pill and have a win.

We always seem to draft the nice blokes rather than the Mitch Robinson types and it may be that they aren't seen as a cultural fit? Time to scrap that thinking and look for these types of players because nice blokes always finish last!

No doubt, its not a complete change id be after, just the way he spreads his hands across the ball, just relax them a little and hold the ball on a little more of an angle rather than vertical.. If hes averaging 80%, im certain he can get even better then

I reckon he just needs to stick with what works Nick. When he takes long shots at goal he generally nails them as well so if it works then it works. Like someone mentioned above Bruce had a better looking ball drop but was a shithouse kick. It's not everything.

What about asking Hawthorn if we can borrow Matt Suckling to teach our players how to kick! He has to be close to the best kick in the game at the moment. I reckon he kicks so accurately that he gets bored sometimes and so tries to do the special things like kick of the side of his boot around corners etc.....amazing skills...when's his contract up?

Richmond recruited Houli and Conca specifically because they considered their kicking skills to be elite and recognised that the average Tiger's player couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Regardless of the team's win/loss record those two guys have made a difference. We need to do exactly the same thing; acknowledge our failings, cut our losses with certain players and recruit accordingly.

[*]Davey is not that great a player that he can waltz back into the team after an extended lay-off with minimal game time at Casey. it is not really his fault - he should not have been picked.

Biff,

We watched the whole Casey game/fiasco before the Geelong-Melbourne match and there was no bloody way that Davey deserved to be elevated to the seniors after that effort. McDonald and Warnock were standouts but Flash was pretty ordinary. Of course, at that level, he was able to get his hands on the ball but when he did he just kept on doing the same delicate kicks to absolutely no-one in particular and running around the outside of packs. Putting him into the Firsts after that effort wasn't going to do him or the team any favours whatsoever.

On the topic of Frawley's kicking - Don't fix what isn't broke. Has quite good kicking efficiency.

I reckon he just needs to stick with what works Nick. When he takes long shots at goal he generally nails them as well so if it works then it works. Like someone mentioned above Bruce had a better looking ball drop but was a shithouse kick. It's not everything.
Thats cuz bruce kicked it like it was an easter egg an he was trying not to break it..

Anyways instead of doing this to death like every other thing we discuss, wonder what our best back 6 is next year, hypothetically speaking strauss is available

Garland Frawley Macdonald
Grimes Rivers Bartram

Defensively thats the best... but then you consider adding nicho, strauss, tapscott, blease to help with run carry and delivery... Very Interesting .. might mean both blease and tapscott play forward

Strauss Frawley Garland
Tapscott Rivers Macdonald

Agree with Grimes to the middle, if he can get on the park. Blease on the wing but also rotating through HBF. Apart from that we can have the likes of Grimes, Jones and Martin playing roles there if needed, even Watts can go back if needed.

Solid backline is solid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dees V Eagles - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back