Player Watch Darcy Moore (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s only one person missing Nathan Murphy more than Fly, and that’s Moore.

Moore has copped it today in the media, very happy about it.

The form should have been called out 6 weeks ago.

Time to lift Darcy or go play VFL.
Jesus, what an idiotic comment.

He may be down on his best form but he’s nowhere near being dropped.

Jesus, what an idiotic comment.

He may be down on his best form but he’s nowhere near being dropped.

Keeps this form up he should be.

He has copped it after weeks and weeks of being protected.

The season and top 4 is on the line, take your cuddles and kisses elsewhere.

I've let my love for Darcy be known for quite a while now, but obviously all of that has gone to his (handsome) head.

The alternative fashion. The headband.

The clear articulation of words and evidence of independent thought.

Shameless displays of heterosexuality.

Appearances at writer's festivals and other cultural gatherings.

The impact of all this on his football is clear enough to this jaded suitor objective football analyst. Focus on footy, Moore.

Checkers. Kreuger. Reef. McStay to come back. Elliott to come back.
That’s not particularly strong. Two work horses in McStay and Mihocek, two unproven talls in Kreuger and Reef (who’s still undersized for key position), and a sub 180cm who plays tall and is likely close to retirement.

That’s not particularly strong. Two work horses in McStay and Mihocek, two unproven talls in Kreuger and Reef (who’s still undersized for key position), and a sub 180cm who plays tall and is likely close to retirement.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't..but it's what we have & as we know kpf's are not in big supply.

I think we all agree we'll be much better off when Dan's back in the team to help out Checkers & I think Kreugs has done well since he's come in & will continue to improve, particularly with both Checkers & Dan in the team.

We're not a team built around one or 2 kpf like Blues. I prefer that we rely on multiple players to score our goals.

Yep great plan.

He should just say to the coaches “stuff your game plan I’m just playing on my man”. Great stuff.

He’s not playing to please knuckleheads on BF or for himself.

I don’t know how many times the way we set up in the backline has to be explained. Have you not watched our last 3 years under Fly?
Professional sports commentators are critical of him not manning up properly, but deluded fans like yourself will defend him to the hilt.
Don’t give me bullshit about zoning off. You zone off when it’s the right time to, his issue is his timing. It’s more off than Russian wristwatch.

Professional sports commentators are critical of him not manning up properly, but deluded fans like yourself will defend him to the hilt.
Don’t give me bullshit about zoning off. You zone off when it’s the right time to, his issue is his timing. It’s more off than Russian wristwatch.
You just outed yourself once again that you have no idea about how our defensive system works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clear articulation of words and evidence of independent thought.

Shameless displays of heterosexuality.

Appearances at writer's festivals and other cultural gatherings.
He was better when we all thought he was gay. Needs to put his heterosexuality back in the closet.

Last edited:
he forgot to add Cox and Mitchell ....
I think you might be confused. The discussion was tall forwards, not all players to come back from injury.

That's a bit pessimistic - how about:

Two proven work horses in McStay and Mihocek, two back up fwds in Kreuger and Reef (who’s still learning the game) and a sub 180cm who plays tall and wins games on his day.

That's a bit pessimistic - how about:

Two proven work horses in McStay and Mihocek, two back up fwds in Kreuger and Reef (who’s still learning the game) and a sub 180cm who plays tall and wins games on his day.
I don’t think it’s pessimistic at all tbh, just an accurate representation of our current tall forward stocks. You can try to add sunshine and rainbows as much as you want but it doesn’t change the fact that our talll forward stocks are relatively thin and we need to find another one of quality to replace Checkers who’s time will be coming sooner rather than later at this rate.

he's been down since mid way last year.. Daniher pulled his pants down in the grand final and its continued this year ..he played a blinder against Curnow R10 last year and its slipped away since .

Apologies if this has been posted but Kane is (sadly) bang on here.

And damn McClure is a whiny confrontational campaigner, and I get the feeling that none of his colleagues can stand him

I don't believe the issue with Moore is workrate or form or even ability, but it is all about role and structure.

Once Murphy established himself as a true lockdown defender, with the ability to leave his own opponent to impact on contests, it gave Moore (and Howe to some extent) greater freedom to play an intercept role, read the play, and not worry so much about a direct opponent. But it also always relied on at least breaking even in the midfield, so that the ball wasn't being delivered to opposition forwards at an excessive rate. This is Fly's structure and it got us over the line in 2023 (just).

Moore has continued to (try to) play the same role as 2023 this without Murphy. Frampton has covered Murphy's role as a key defender, but he has his hands full with one opponent, and it's too much for him to ask to come off his own man and pick up Moore's (or Howe's) direct opponent as well. Add to this the fact that in some games our midfield has allowed the opposition too many forward entries for us to reasonably defend. Add to this the fact that Moore has not been able to have the same impact with the ball as he had last year, and the system starts to break down. Couple of drawn games we would have won last year, and a couple of losses which could have been wins.

Unless Fly directs Moore to play more as a key defender, the pattern will continue. But that's only one option. The other option is to stick with the plan (In Fly We Trust), and hope that our midfield dominance returns so that we limit opposition forward entries, and create more of our own (possible with the return of JDG, Pendles, Mitchell) and/or that Moore becomes more successful at intercepting and more effective and damaging with ball in hand. If he starts taking 7 or 8 intercept marks per game and setting up attacking forays then opposition coaches will start worrying about Moore instead of us worrying about him.

We don't really have anyone else who is a Murphy replacement. Frampton is demonstrably our best key defender right now, but we are probably still one short. (It's not Dean, he is ok, but just another interceptor).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back