Speculation Daniel Curtin

Remove this Banner Ad

Then after the restraint of trade lawsuit we turn into the NRL with no draft at all.

It's not restraint of trade if it's an employment contract they sign when signing up to the draft process and competition.

There's a heap of ways around Australia's employment laws.

The AFL can meet employment law obligations but deregister players for life under their own rules to prevent certain outcomes.

What signs?

He was public in his statement of wanting to be the #1 pick and come to Melbourne.

We know it was bullshit, but what you are stating is complete revisionism.

Should have done more research clubs generally only have themselves to blame

Players would just claim “mental health issues” as an extenuating circumstance…

If a doctor says leaving a club/going to a specific club/location is the solution to their mental health ills then that’s fine. Dunno if that’s a thing though.

Didn't west coast attempt to trade their first pick this year to get curtin in last years draft? Maybe they have another go at it since there aren't any WA kids at the top of this draft

If the rumour is true Adelaide need to dig in and find a way to keep the lad in their colours.

They should have the culture to fix things with him before end of this season so he feels comfortable and disregards any thought of going home.

Playing him in the ones for the rest of the year in a settled position would be a great starting point.

Would have to be better than the pick 8 we took him with as a starting point being only 1 year into a 3 year contract so we hold the whip hand and can tell him we are not trading him if we don't like the offer. If WCE offered their 1st (like they apparently did last year) and that is pick 4 or 5 for example, then in this draft where there are a number of mids that look good, the club could look at that.

Would have to be better than the pick 8 we took him with as a starting point being only 1 year into a 3 year contract so we hold the whip hand and can tell him we are not trading him if we don't like the offer. If WCE offered their 1st (like they apparently did last year) and that is pick 4 or 5 for example, then in this draft where there are a number of mids that look good, the club could look at that.
If thats how drafting works, North will be trading Zane Duursma for pick 2 and basically doing a disco dance out of the trade room in celebration

Doesnt automatically mean he is worth more then he was. His worth has declined in his time with Adelaide, not increased unfortunately so any trade would likely reflect that
Its more that if they don't get overs, they are not going to let him go - so its on the eagles or Freo to make the offer tempting enough and a mid range 1st which would possibly get eaten up in a Welsh bid is very unlikely to be seen to do the job imo. As I said, if he was OOC or an RFA, different story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its more that if they don't get overs, they are not going to let him go - so its on the eagles or Freo to make the offer tempting enough and a mid range 1st which would possibly get eaten up in a Welsh bid is very unlikely to be seen to do the job imo. As I said, if he was OOC or an RFA, different story.
Did North get overs for JHF?

Assuming the news story is true (and that's not a safe assumption) and Curtin is going to try to force his way out at the end of year 1, I think you're overestimating Adelaide's bargaining power.

If he's traded this season and hasn't properly broken into the team by then, you can still justify using where he was selected as the basis for what you receive. Unless a KPP is insanely good, you learn close to nothing about them in their first year, so an "underwhelming" first year would not have a great effect on what you receive.

But the longer you hold him (if him leaving is a matter of when rather than if) the more you allow his production to dictate his value more so than the pick he was drafted with. And if he looks the goods, great, you maybe justify getting a bit more (but the price as it is will already be high). But if he doesn't, the price drops steeply. Unless he has a killer 2nd half of this year, that doesn't sound like a risk worth taking.

And then you got additional factors: Tasmania compromising drafts, greater NGA access maybe even further compromising drafts, the potential for Curtin to use less club-friendly means to leave if you hold him to contract.

Bottom line to me is that you can absolutely hold him to contract if you want. But if he's already indicating that he wants to leave now, I think your best option is to cash in this year, and holding him to contract would be cutting your nose to spite your face.

For those of you not familiar with the great man's work, here was a post from late last season.

I wouldn't be worried if I were the Crows fan.

IMG_0480.jpeg

Assuming the news story is true (and that's not a safe assumption) and Curtin is going to try to force his way out at the end of year 1, I think you're overestimating Adelaide's bargaining power.

If he's traded this season and hasn't properly broken into the team by then, you can still justify using where he was selected as the basis for what you receive. Unless a KPP is insanely good, you learn close to nothing about them in their first year, so an "underwhelming" first year would not have a great effect on what you receive.

But the longer you hold him (if him leaving is a matter of when rather than if) the more you allow his production to dictate his value more so than the pick he was drafted with. And if he looks the goods, great, you maybe justify getting a bit more (but the price as it is will already be high). But if he doesn't, the price drops steeply. Unless he has a killer 2nd half of this year, that doesn't sound like a risk worth taking.

And then you got additional factors: Tasmania compromising drafts, greater NGA access maybe even further compromising drafts, the potential for Curtin to use less club-friendly means to leave if you hold him to contract.

Bottom line to me is that you can absolutely hold him to contract if you want. But if he's already indicating that he wants to leave now, I think your best option is to cash in this year, and holding him to contract would be cutting your nose to spite your face.
Its a well trodden line, but it does not factor in the club itself backing itself in to change his mind over time and they have a further 2 years to do so. If at the end of next year its the same story with him, then its a conversation for then, it really does not need to be now.. Cashing in this year would absolutely mean the crows getting a pick no worse than what they paid probably higher otherwise there is no incentive to let him go. I'd say if there is any smoke to the rumor, then the club might be directing his agent to the realities of being drafted and being under contract and that we rate him very highly so to let him leave would mean the purchasing club needs to pony up.

For those of you not familiar with the great man's work, here was a post from late last season.

I wouldn't be worried if I were the Crows fan.

IMG_0480.jpeg
Do you mean he is just a troll or shit at prediction? What his insider sources like, does he have credible connection?

Has Curtin thrown his toys out with the bathwater like JHF?

Anyway, its a moot point, he is under contract for a few more years, he ain't leaving without the crows getting overs - end of story. When he is OOC, then its a different story
I think his toys out of the bathwater would be grander then JHFs almost. Unless that happens he stays at Crows for sure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back