D GRADE: Give me something...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OG
OM
OC
TP
and lastly i think Rupo will get up, led by simon sweeny, who is apparently only in his early twenties, but when i saw him play last week he looked about 35 with has receeding hairline. He looks old enough to be the father of a few of the young rupo lads..

I have it on good authority that the team of the year will appear on the VAFA website around GF day , not in the record(as published). Also as a tip, i think you may find it is a far more concise team of the year, than the team of the half year was.

I am home sick.. so spewing that i will not get to game today. I was going to do combined team of year to keep myself interested , but note that DG man, Archangel, Midas or MC extra dollop all appear to have this in hand and they seem to know a lot more than me

MC Extra Dollop said:
No, no, no, Archangel, you're wrong.

If Rupertswood win by about 11-13 goals (depending on the total score) that should put their percentage around the same mark as the Bullants. With OG and Yarra losing that would catapault Rupo into second.
* Say Rupertswood win by 75 points (unlikely but stranger things have happened. BT haven't exactly set the world on fire in August) Assume the score is 150-75 (humor me).

RUPERTSWOOD 1759 for/1620 against 108.58%
BULLEEN-TEMP 1757 for/1619 against 108.52%

If Rupertswood win by about five goals, Yarra can jump over B-T with a win of about 65+ and a Geelong loss. This scenario would see Geelong miss out.
*Say Rupertswood win 100-70 and Yarra win 135-70
YARRA VALLEY 1651 for/1477 against 111.78%
BULLEEN-TEMPLESTOWE 1752 for/1569 against 111.66%

Geelong just have to win and Bulleen to lose for the OGs to finish second. If Rupo smash Bulleen as in the first scenario and Yarra and Geelong also win, the Bullants could drop to fifth. Unlikely, but hey, it's not as impossible as you wrote.

MC Extra Dollop you are a genius

How were Bulleen in 2nd:? That is one of the worst performances I have seen by any team this year, poor kicking didnt help but they were smashed all over the ground and thats the end of their season

Was interesting they were all going on the belief they had to win by 70 points but looking at the ladder they ended up 3% behind, obviously didnt have to win by so much after all

Amazing result. DG was there and saw it all. Geeves and i have just arrived home and i am looking forward to a large night of theories, tips, comments, reports ansd finals predictions.
Hats off to Rupo. As one exited Rupo supporter screamed at the end of the game..."there will be three very worried teams that would not be happy about this result!" And after watching the game, i tend to agree. Rupo smashed BT. I will talk a little about BT later. Falling from 2nd to 5th. Terribly disappointing for a club who had set themselves for C-Grade promotion all year. At the end of the day BT had just hit the wall over the last month or so. There will be half a dozen guys who just played their last game of football. A terrible way to exit! Let's hope they regroup and have another crack next year.
Apart from Rupo, the other big winner for the day are the OGS. Suddenly playing a team they comfortably beat only 3 weeks ago in a second semi final. YV have also very deservadly made the finals.
Need to take care of a little housekeeping. Will be back soon.
Enjoy those brewskies Kingbrown! We can't wait for your post 14 stubby report!
DG

Here come Prahran boys, here come the Blues! We won't be beaten, we hate to lose! We will be there, one and all. The bigger they are, the harder they fall! Whether the odds be great or be small, gallant Prahran will win overall. You will hear the crowd al roaring, come on the mighty Blues!

What an escape from jail. Who would have thought that we could get out of relegation zone after being 0-9 at halfway mark! Anyway, enough boasting. I should get ready for a few days of incessant celebrations.

Amazing news regarding BT today. What happened?! Rupo must have been good. Any news on that one?

And bad luck to St Leos too. You guys were in as much strife as us earlier in season and managed to nearly get yourselves out of it. Stick together and it'll turn around.

Anyway, might crack open a bottle of Minchinbury Brut to celebrate with the Mrs. You little ripper!

We have had a great day. On my 5th VB for all those interested. What a performance. At no stage did we ever consider this possibility. Football is a game about execution. BT kicked 4 or 5 points before we scored, then it was a procession in what was (unbiassed) some of the best footy i have seen this year. BT still wasted opportunity as the day wore on, but we were awesome. We went there to win, no consideraion of what by, so to make the finals is unbeleivable. I will say to all, we had 22 ripper players today, full of run, class and will. Some have written us off so i feel very humble at the minute.

Whilst our form today was outstanding, so were all of the finals teams, YV must have had a cracker of a game- Well done. Well done to Prahran, i do feel for St. Leos as they impressed me greatly in the games i seen.

I tried valiantly to look for Ugly today, and in my investigative pursuit i was only led to a lady working in the canteen who vehemently denied being the great man/woman. He will always remain a mystery to KB.

Eddie, we have a jumper very similar to BT Blue and Gold, we looked a little bit bigger and faster today in our alternate strip.

I probably would leave (49) out of the team of the year, his first game against us IMO was outstanding (had evidently been injured) but today whilst trying hard i am making a change, Simon Sweeney is now promoted!!!!!!!

Chivers is clearly carrying an injury, and i can't be bothered thinking about which player from BT should be in the team of the year. Today it should be the 22 from Rupo.

kingbrown said:
Eddie, we have a jumper very similar to BT Blue and Gold, we looked a little bit bigger and faster today in our alternate strip.

I probably would leave (49) out of the team of the year, his first game against us IMO was outstanding (had evidently been injured) but today whilst trying hard i am making a change, Simon Sweeney is now promoted!!!!!!!

Chivers is clearly carrying an injury, and i can't be bothered thinking about which player from BT should be in the team of the year. Today it should be the 22 from Rupo.
Cheers, Its funny I asked the question but just remembered its there to look at on the VAFA website :p

Looking at the front, I see alot worse clashes that are not taken care of and funnily enough none of us had seen them before and were thinking why not wear a yellow jumper but it seems your normal jumper is yellow, I believe the navy blue teams in B grade have worse clashes

Oh what a day... Rupo very impressive. If i could go back in time and put a lazy 1000 on the bullants to miss the finals four weeks ago everyone would have taken my cash and laughed. We just hit the wall for some reason. Its a shame we couldnt send out some club legends with a better result. Good luck to all in the finals, bullants will bounce back in 2007. I will be hoping ruppo take out the flag, good young side who play football the way it should be played, play on at all cost and use the football well.

:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MJS2 said:
Oh what a day... Rupo very impressive. If i could go back in time and put a lazy 1000 on the bullants to miss the finals four weeks ago everyone would have taken my cash and laughed. We just hit the wall for some reason. Its a shame we couldnt send out some club legends with a better result. Good luck to all in the finals, bullants will bounce back in 2007. I will be hoping ruppo take out the flag, good young side who play football the way it should be played, play on at all cost and use the football well.

:(
What numbers are the blokes retiring?

Nothing is definite so not going to name numbers or names but there is a chance that a few older players might have had a enough.

Rupo are the flavour of the night. DG and Geeves left Bulleen today in awe of their performance. It was a tough and physical affair. With a well placed camera or two, there may have been a couple of players from both teams busy on Tuesday evening. Nothing too untoward, just a few late and high spoils. The odd stray elbow, and even a sliding knee that Geeves spotted in the last. Rupo certainly stood up to their strong bodied opponents and gave as good as they got. A hard, tough clash. Rupos far superior run and leg speed highlighted to both Geeves and I our poor early selection of BT. The signs of BT fading have been present for the last month, however today it stood out like dogs balls. BT have gone a 1/4 season too far. They just did not have the speed to match the smarts in some of their older bodied veterans. Chivers has played injured for the last two weeks, however it is understandable that he would want to play.
Rupo's performance in the ressies as well indicates a depth that would certainly not put them out of place in C-Grade next year. (Also Unders finished 5th in Division 1)

So DG has a new market, and it is a little controversial!

OC - $2.50
OGS - $2.50
Rupo - $3.50
YV - $8.00

Apologies to Toohas and friends, however i am a Rupo convert. I am tipping them this week to knock off YV reasonably comfortably. The loser of the OC vs OGS game will face a very diffcult Preminary final showdown against them.

Next Week:
OC vs OGS - Only a few weeks back, OGS handled OC with ease, however we since learned that OC were without a number of players. With these players returning, OC whipped BT and then today pumped Banyule. They are in form and will be much tougher this week (Particularly away from Como) OGS have been handed 2nd spot and are suddenly 1 game away from C-Grade. Full list, depth, form pretty good (except for a last quarter fade at Rupo!) It is a real toss of the coin. DG will sit on this one until later in the week.

YV vs Rupo - Classic match-up. 2 Sides who have been in great form and who have been seemingly battling for the one last position, suddenly find that there is room for both. Very deserving finalists. YV certainly have some great talls, as well as some handy runners. If Rupo can shut down the talls, i think they have the speed to topple YV. This will be a bruising encounter. YV are an interesting team when it comes to pyhsicality (DG will not elaborate) whilst Rupo showed me today that they are indeed a very tough unit. I think Rupo will continue their recent amazing form and make it through to the second week of finals.

Better nick off and watch a little AFL, Geeves has just produced an amazing sponge cake with tea!

Cheers - DG

DG man wanted to hear a thread on my 14th brewskie. So here it is. I'm going to bed. Stuffed!!! But had a great karaoke night at the club. What a day!!!! Bacon and Eggs tomorrow? I hope so!!!!

Well, well, well. One weekend is a long time in football.
I'll start with my boys at Rupo.Today (yesterday now) was probably the best footy I have ever seen played at an amateur level ever. It was like the boys were posessed. Abley led by one of their more prolific ball winners (old head in an old head/that's still kind of young) Simon Sweeney. I won't say too much about it because alot has been said but it was good. Hats off to BT though, they had one hell of a year and to think a side can drop from 2nd to 5th gives a fair indication of how close D1 has been this year.
Bad luck to Leos and Banyule, I'm sure they both have the capacity to bounce back and it wouldn't suprise the one that is Hamstrung if they find themselves back in D1 in 08.
Finals this week, will speak some more rot when I have a clearer head, just about to embark on the shots, peace till then.
Dud.:thumbsu:

Cheers, Archangel. Obviously percentage can be a subjective thing. You can have as big a percentage boost winning by thirty points as you can have winning by sixty points, depending on what the total score for the game is. Since Bulleen-Templestowe put a reasonable amount of points on the board, Rupo did have to smash them. Taking Bulleen-Temp's score of 63, Rupo had to put 133 or more points on the board to jump over them in percentage (if the score had have been 133 to 63, Rupo's % would have been 109.0 and BT's would have been 108.92. If the score had have been 132 to 63, Rupo's % would have been 108.95 and BT's would have been 108.99). Therefore, you can say BT missed out on finals by 17 points.

See, the thing about percentage is, it can come down in a hurry when you are playing one of those “eight point games”. The results that I wrote (that I thought were unlikely) were based on the assumption that the Bullants had a bit of ticker. Guess I was wrong. Here are the facts:

Firstly, BTs insipid performance should in no way take the luster of a famous Rupo victory. The respect they have earned is now universal. After people thought they had played above themselves when they were 6-0, they took their rough trot, lost their spot in the four and actually decided, they deserved to be a finals team and proved it. Well done, Rupo and all the best for finals.

A good team WOULD NOT lose a game like that when second spot on the ladder is on the line. A good team WOULD be able to keep a loss respectable, knowing that a “respectable loss” is all they had to achieve to make finals. A good team WOULD NOT lose their last four games of the season in a row.

Surprised we heard from some Rupertswood people last night. Thought they would be making the most of Bulleen-Templestowe’s hospitality. Perhaps the Bullants needed the clubrooms for their crisis meeting that would have been held about three weeks too late.

The top four teams definitely made the finals. With wins of 105, 78, 69 and 86 points respectively, OC, OG, YV and Rupo showed that they were the best four teams this season.

Will be interesting to see how many BT people step up and take their medicine on this thread. Going over this thread from the start, they’ve had a lot to say about other teams, I hope they can take it as well. King Brown when considering your breakfast options, keep in mind you could feed the entire Rupertswood senior list by scraping all the egg off some Bullant faces…

The five winners from this week? Five of the happiest clubs going around: Carey, Geelong, Yarra, Rupertswood and…Prahran! Well done to the Two Blues, going 5-4 over the second half of the year and showing the true spirit of a great Ammos club. Too good for a disappointing Panther team yesterday. IF they can keep their veteran list intact for 2007, they will be thereabouts, back to their 2005 form. Although I don’t think the Animals will stay down longer than a year, I’m a bit sick of the whole “they’re unlucky to be relegated” talk. They won 4 ½ games, for crying out loud! Since when is that a good enough record to get you to stay in your grade? Great club at Emmaus Leo’s, but they need to take stock, carve D2 next year and come back stronger in 2008.

Two clubs have just the one side competing in finals: Yarra Valley (seniors) and Old Mentonians (reserves). Is this a big advantage? Personally, I believe so, which is why it’s so hard for a team to win both senior and reserves flags in the same year. While it makes for tougher decisions at the selection table, you can’t underestimate the benefits of being able to choose from 30+ players every week, all of whom will be absolutely busting their balls to keep their spot in the side.

DG Man, as a man from a team that is treading water in D1 (a lot like BT), I’m a bit disappointed that you are not continuing the tipping comp into finals. I thought I could dominate the finals series with a lot of guys tipping with their hearts instead of their heads. To illustrate:

FINALS MATCHES
FIRST SEMI FINAL
Yarra Valley vs Rupertswood:

Venue: St Bernards College. Should be an advantage for Rupertswood, I’d assume it’s big and it’s local for the Western suburbs boys. Good weather should also play into their hands.

Head to head: Last time, Yarra won by 45 points, with Keem kicking 5. First time around in round 2, Rupo finished over the top of Yarra with a 9 point victory. Collins was the best for Rupo, setting a standard that he continued for the rest of the year. I’d give Yarra an edge here.

Recent form: Two contrasting seasons. After round 6, Rupo were 6-0, had just smashed Carey and were on top of the world. Flash forward and they have gone just 6-6 over the past twelve rounds to scrape home by the skin of their teeth. However, they have had confidence building wins against Old Geelong and Bulleen-Temp and a respectable defeat at the hands of Old Carey, which boosts them a couple of notches, in my book. Also, many wrote them off after their loss to Yarra and they seemed to thrive on being the underdog all season. Their form would be classified as good.
However you can’t fault Yarra’s form. They’ve won five in a row and 11 of 13, since a shocking start to the year. Like Rodney Dangerfield, they must be wondering what they have to do to earn some respect from the D1 tote and tipsters. Yarra have to be ahead here.

Form against the top teams: Rupo, interestingly, have beaten every D1 team this year at least once. Probably as recently as a month ago, they were looked upon as a side that might make finals, but couldn’t knock off the big boys when it mattered. They’ve blown that out of the water, breaking a hoodoo against Geelong in the process. No team would hold any fear in Rupos minds.
Yarra haven’t beaten Old Carey, losing comfortably both times, however they have beaten Old Geelong home and away and handled Rupo comfortably last time they met. They probably weren’t shedding any tears about Bulleen-Temp missing out. I’d say, based on the fact that Rupo have knocked off each of their possible opponents, they have the edge here.

Prediction: Not sure why, but everyone seems to think Yarra can’t handle a road trip, when their away record was just as good as their home record this year. I think their big bodies will be too much for Rupo. Yarra Valley will win.

SECOND SEMI FINAL
Old Carey vs Old Geelong

Venue: Junction Oval. Both teams are used to playing on big grounds in good nick, so I don’t really think either will have any problems adjusting to the Melbourne Grammar ground.

Head to head: Each has won at their home ground, with Old Geelong giving the Panthers a touch up last time. OG had no answer for Parton at Dunshea, the Carey skipper booting six in a BOG display. Colby O'Brien has been dangerous in both matches for the Oggers and it is a toss up who will get the job on him. Apparently, Old Carey were missing half their side, in the Round 16 matchup. Regardless, a six goal win at home and a close loss away suggests an Old Geelong advantage here.

Recent form: Carey have only dropped away games to second, fourth and fifth all season. They have gone 9-1 over their last ten, smashing most teams they come into contact with. Apart from said loss to Old Geelong, they haven’t lost since mid-June. Old Geelong have been a little more patchy, having a great win against Old Carey, but dropping the closest thing to a finals game they have had so far (against Rupo) despite being in an apparently unloseable position. I don’t think you can understate that loss and despite pole axing a relegation victim in the final round, I just get the feeling that the Oggers may have a real problem stepping up when it counts. Old Carey win this category, though it is dropped back a few notches, due to the Oggers recent win over them.

Form against the top teams: Of the five standout teams in the division this year, Old Carey went 5-3 playing against their significant competition. Old Geelong went 3-5. Further illustrating this point, Old Carey went 3-1 against these teams in the second half, Old Geelong went 1-3. Advantage, Old Carey.

Verdict: Just seems like Old Carey have been setting themselves for this moment since pre-season. The Oggers, along with Rupertswood, overcame their excitement to be promoted in a hurry and OG haven’t been out of the top four all season. Maybe the ressies curtain-raiser between these same two combatants will provide some inspiration for the teams. As an outsider looking in, though, Old Carey haven’t put a foot wrong all year, have won the games they’ve needed to and have been a classy, professional outfit every step of the way. Old Geelong have had some disturbing lapses, which may have been swept under the rug by them destroying a few also-rans along the way. In my mind, there is no doubt. Old Carey.

As for the odds, if I was betting with $100, I’d be putting $75 on Old Carey and $25 on Yarra Valley. Put $10 each into and Old Mentonians ressies flag, which would probably be paying pretty handsomely (DG Man has probably taken the OG ressies off the board).

Good previews, I must admit yesterday was the 1st D1 game I have done this year after years of seeing Yarra every week, it would be good to see them make the grand final after a few years of being middle of the division

As for the weather the 7 day forecast is a shocker so who does a wet weather slog at the snake pit favour? Cheers

I figure I might as well have a crack at the club b&fs as well:

Old Carey: Collins
Old Geelong: Casboult
Yarra Valley: R Drew
Rupertswood: Monzell
Bulleen-Temp: Chivers
Old Mentonians: Carroll
Therry Penola: Foster-Knight
Prahran: Harrison
Emmaus St. Leo's: P Baranello
Banyule: Gayfer

congrats to rupo looking very impressive. They will be too good down back for yarra valley, with the skipper collins, speed of dressler, moule (injured with buttocks) and the tower of strength Baddeley (aka Chad cornes) at centre half back. Rupo have to much class and should account for the valley, a quick quote from "Point Break" for Yarra valley has rupo quoting "GO BACK TO THE VALLEY MAN"

Hi all. DG has received a heap of PM's over the last 24 hours. Plenty of people wanting to stay a little low key heading into the finals. And a few departed and still here, wanting to take a swipe at certain predictions and certain people. All good!
There is a rather large piece of news that has come to my attention and this has certainly had large ramifications on the DG odds.

DG Odds:

OGS - $2.20
OC - $2.80
Rupo - $3.50
YV - $8.00

I will sit on this info for a little while. It is not small!

Re tipping comp. It certainly does continue into the finals. I will update the ladder early in the week.

I agree with dollop that the sides who have made the 4 are very deserving. I really think the depth of clubs like OGS, OC and Rupo in particular would handle C-Grade comfortably.

OGS have another team missing selection every week, with their amazing depth. Their ressies form reveals just how deep the list runs.

At OC, they also have a huge number missing selection most weeks, as well as having a 3rd team playing in a second-semi next week. Their U19's finished on top of division 2.

And finally at Rupo, they not only have the ressies in the finals, but also have their U19's finishing a very credible 5th in division 1, as well as running a second unders team in U19 Reds.

This is a great base for any two of these clubs to enter into C-Grade next year with a genuine ability to keep climbing the grades. All clubs were in D2 recently, and all clubs are deserving of this continued climb.

This leaves YV, who DG is not writing off, however i have to have an outsider. With the way YV ressies have fared this year, i am not sure YV would have the ability to stay up in C-Grade for more than a year. I don't believe they have an unders side, and would need to recruit extremely well and heavily to be able to compete at a higher level.

Their current side is big and strong and on a roll. They are certinnly not without a show, however after seeing Rupo on Saturday, i think that they will be a little too quick for the Valley boys.

Keep the posts coming. Great to have dollop aboard entertaining us all with his detaild analysis.

Perhaps a few more Semi final previews would make good reading.

Midas and Archangel...you both seem like good preview candidates!

DG-Out!

Rumour around that Dolly P has done his knee and won't play again that might alter the odds a bit if true. I believe it is.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back