List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Both grand finalists bottomed out for extended periods and loaded up with high end talent :chartdown:

West Coast don't bottom out, we don't add high end talent from the draft as we never get the picks.

So this notion of "Well if Melbourne can go from bottom of the ladder to win the flag then so can West Coast!!!" is just nuffie speak. The situations are totally different.

Even our rise in 2011 was built on the back of our 2010 draft (Gaff, Darling, Lycett). And that same draft has kept us afloat to this point (Add in McGovern's multiple AA's)

But there's only so long you can keep getting bargain pickups and adding bit/role playing talent to an ageing list and expect to be competitive.
Wasn’t suggesting that we should bottom out, because just as many teams have gone nowhere after having done so.

There’s no doubt flags can be won without top picks in the midfield. Need to get lucky though and hit some later picks to get the midfield close enough. Will then rely on backs/forwards/Nic Nat to get us there

I think selling at the right time (as in a player due to his market value) is just as important as bringing in the bargain buys.

Particularly when we never have anything in the way of draft picks as we always manage to make finals more often than not. Even if it's just making up the numbers.

As highlighted X amount of pages back, we do very little to cash in on the "overinflated" value of our players because we don't sell anyone. They'd have to randomly request a trade, which rarely happens from our club. Even if we had an abundance of something, like KPP's recently, we still won't cash and offload someone to address needs elsewhere. As demonstrated by Brander recently, who we 'fought' to hold onto.

So in that respect, we kinda only 'half' use the strategies available to us to replenish our list. We're hamstrung somewhat.

After a club wins the flag and their list management gets dissected it's always put under the spotlight who they got rid of and when, as well as who they brought in. Melbourne turfing Jack Watts for example, and how many doors that one move opened up for them and the knock on effect it had.

And before anyone comes back with "This isn't the NFL you don't just trade players etc etc" i'm well aware, just making an observation.

Jarrod Brander officially a Giant.

Best of luck to him.

I think selling at the right time (as in a player due to his market value) is just as important as bringing in the bargain buys.

Particularly when we never have anything in the way of draft picks as we always manage to make finals more often than not. Even if it's just making up the numbers.

As highlighted X amount of pages back, we do very little to cash in on the "overinflated" value of our players because we don't sell anyone. They'd have to randomly request a trade, which rarely happens from our club. Even if we had an abundance of something, like KPP's recently, we still won't cash and offload someone to address needs elsewhere. As demonstrated by Brander recently, who we 'fought' to hold onto.

So in that respect, we kinda only 'half' use the strategies available to us to replenish our list. We're hamstrung somewhat.

After a club wins the flag and their list management gets dissected it's always put under the spotlight who they got rid of and when, as well as who they brought in. Melbourne turfing Jack Watts for example, and how many doors that one move opened up for them and the knock on effect it had.

And before anyone comes back with "This isn't the NFL you don't just trade players etc etc" i'm well aware, just making an observation.
This. We value player retention too highly though by the looks

Why would players leave when we say ' sure fatty have 1.2 million a year for 6 years '
Instead of saying if you can get that money go for it but we are team first club and won't over pay

Frawley was the one. Good defender, but not worth pick 3.

Petracca & Brayshaw - instead of just one or the other.

I know it was free agency - but matching would have meant both losing the pick and losing the $ in the cap.

Anyone else notice that BOND 007 has gone quiet around the same time as a high ranking Eagles official has taken leave from the club?

Interesting observation, but he's still around enough to have seen this comment ;-)

Personally I don't think we'll hear from him till after the draft, and if he does actually work for the club nor should we hear from him till at least then.

1635920688163.png

Interesting observation, but he's still around enough to have seen this comment ;-)

Personally I don't think we'll hear from him till after the draft, and if he does actually work for the club nor should we hear from him till at least then.

View attachment 1273390
And he'll say vague stuff anyone couldve pieced together

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else notice that BOND 007 has gone quiet around the same time as a high ranking Eagles official has taken leave from the club?

Nope you are way off the mark with trying to identify just who the Scarlet Pimpernel is ..... because it’s not Vozzo.

Besides you would imagine that anyone in our recruiting department, right at the minute would be head down bum up working on all the intel regarding the imminent draft.

Or you might like to think that he checks in here for some recruiting tips and insight to a player that only we can provide 😜

More likely he reads here for some comic relief and has a good chuckle reading most of the shit we all post.

In an accuracy scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being excellent, I reckon we hit 3 on a good day and 1.5 on an average day.

Nope you are way off the mark with trying to identify just who the Scarlet Pimpernel is ..... because it’s not Vozzo.

Besides you would imagine that anyone in our recruiting department, right at the minute would be head down bum up working on all the intel regarding the imminent draft.

Or you might like to think that he checks in here for some recruiting tips and insight to a player that only we can provide 😜

More likely he reads here for some comic relief and has a good chuckle reading most of the sh*t we all post.

In an accuracy scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being excellent, I reckon we hit 3 on a good day and 1.5 on an average day.
I actually thought it might be Brad Smith truth be told. Just thought it was coincidental.

Keeping a line open to the club for its most Ardent 😁 supporters without giving away secrets I thought a savvy move.

The chances of finding 3 Judds in one draft are nigh on zero. No team has ever done it.
True enough. You'd probably need the top 3 picks in a super draft (The Judd draft for example) to do that.
Closest recently has been GC getting picks 1 and 2 and getting a couple of mids that look the goods. Hard to go wrong with Rowell and Anderson available and picks 1 and 2 in your hands.

If we get 3 very good players out of our first 3 picks we would be doing exceptionally well.
If we could come close to nailing it the way Port did with Duursma, Butters and Rozee I'd be ecstatic. That's the best 3 for 3 been done in years.

Both grand finalists bottomed out for extended periods and loaded up with high end talent :chartdown:

West Coast don't bottom out, we don't add high end talent from the draft as we never get the picks.

So this notion of "Well if Melbourne can go from bottom of the ladder to win the flag then so can West Coast!!!" is just nuffie speak. The situations are totally different.

Even our rise in 2011 was built on the back of our 2010 draft (Gaff, Darling, Lycett). And that same draft has kept us afloat to this point (Add in McGovern's multiple AA's)

But there's only so long you can keep getting bargain pickups and adding bit/role playing talent to an ageing list and expect to be competitive.

Your right, we will have no choice but to bottom out soon tho.
The second half of this year proves it!

We are due a spell on the bottom of the ladder date I say it, it’s only natural.
As much as I hate to say it I would not be tipping us to win any derby’s any time soon.

I for one am excited to see an influx of decent talent over the next few years, this group/ game style has become stale

True enough. You'd probably need the top 3 picks in a super draft (The Judd draft for example) to do that.
Closest recently has been GC getting picks 1 and 2 and getting a couple of mids that look the goods. Hard to go wrong with Rowell and Anderson available and picks 1 and 2 in your hands.

Alternatively

Pick 1 Scully
Pick 2 Trengove
Pick 3 Dusty Martin
:oops:

I suppose its a bit like Lotto. Virtually no chance of it happening but someone could nail all their picks in a Superdraft one day.
Something like 2001 - Pick 3 - Judd, Pick 8 - Bartel, Pick 24 - Steve Johnson, pick 38 - Sam Mitchell

Well...You get the idea.

And 2021 will be that year - For our glorious Eagles!!!

FWIW - I really know 3/5ths of bugger all but MJ looks like a winner all the way. I also think Zac Taylor sounds amazing but will go a bit lower than he should due to both underexposure and size. Chuck in Dark Sharks loverboy and I suspect that'd be a juicy 3 way.

Pick 10/12 looks like we can finally draft a decent mid as long as R.O'b doesn't get trigger happy at the first available over 195cm. one of Erasmus, Ward, Rachele, Hobbs & Johnson will make it to 12.
Can we bring in another pick in the 11-20 range? Future trading could land a Goater / Milera-Wanganeen etc. Goater's kicking looks suspect - but then again so is Yeo's.
Also has anyone seen Leek Alleer Live?, Marking and reading the play look pretty good on film and could be pretty handy in 3 years with a bit of size & strength work put into him.

Pick 10/12 looks like we can finally draft a decent mid as long as R.O'b doesn't get trigger happy at the first available over 195cm. one of Erasmus, Ward, Rachele, Hobbs & Johnson will make it to 12.

Largely agree. I'd be surprised if St Kilda let Hobbs get past their pick, I've also heard Ward might be pulling a B.Smith/Perkins job and doesn't want to leave Vic - not sure if that's got legs though?

Can we bring in another pick in the 11-20 range? Future trading could land a Goater / Milera-Wanganeen etc. Goater's kicking looks suspect - but then again so is Yeo's.

Would be very expensive, next years first plus something else. I'd be hesitant to move out of next years draft due to the alleged KPP/Ruck depth but there's always early rumblings about the following year's draft. I'd like to think next years draft get's treated like 2017 and we look to bring in a large intake of kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back