List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 2148591
A very solid one game.

Do agree with the idea that extra sport should go to a KPD. Burgiel an outside chance and a shame we missed on getting Blight back to WA after parting our arse cheeks for Richmond.

Legend has it he polled 4 Brownlow votes from that game.

With Rotham gone now too our backline depth is just terrible.
Talls: Gov, HEdwards, Bazzo, Jamo
Medium/smalls: Hough, Ginbey, Duggan, Cole, Baker?

9 defenders on the list, 7 of which are required to make our best 22, the 2 left out are KPDs, and really not ones that we can trust either.
Im going to hope and assume we turn 1 of our small forwards into a defender, idc which, probably Brockman or Ryan.

That gives us 10 defenders lol

Gotta find at least 2 more in the draft or via DFA surely, 1 KPD we can trust and one medium defender

9 defenders on the list, 7 of which are required to make our best 22, the 2 left out are KPDs, and really not ones that we can trust either.
Im going to hope and assume we turn 1 of our small forwards into a defender, idc which, probably Brockman or Ryan.

Gotta find at least 2 more in the draft or via DFA surely, 1 KPD we can trust and one medium defender
Hunts best position is hbf

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would like to see Maric shifted permanently to defence this summer. Oscar, Jake, Jilliams and Archer have tall forwards sorted for the foreseeable future.

He’d be a great 3rd tall and distributor if he can learn to read the ball off Gov over the preseason. I still have big question marks on Bazzo and can’t see Jamo getting another contract. Getting a KPD in the draft looks unlikely after the shit show.

So, Simmo wasn't exaggerating when he said there'd be around 10 list changes. Unless I've missed somebody, Roth out rounds out the ten...

Gaff
Barrass
Darling
Rotham
Witheren
Culley
Burgiel
Jones
Baker
Trew

Thankfully we've got a heap of picks for this year.

Would like to see Maric shifted permanently to defence this summer. Oscar, Jake, Jilliams and Archer have tall forwards sorted for the foreseeable future.

He’d be a great 3rd tall and distributor if he can learn to read the ball off Gov over the preseason. I still have big question marks on Bazzo and can’t see Jamo getting another contract. Getting a KPD in the draft looks unlikely after the shit show.
I forgot Maric in my last comment actually, yeah put him back there

Half of the DFAs out there would immediately improve our side.

The question is whether they would want to come here. I am sure we have the salary cap space for whatever they nominate.

Simple.

If a player would rather play VFL instead of AFL in WA we don't want them in any case.

No loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep not great, is it Starcevich that we're into?

If hawks perform as expected next year that hawks future third is worthless in points discussions.
I disagree

At the start of the draft, if the the Hawks finish in the top 4, their future R3 will be worth somewhere between 57 and 14 points. This will go lower with any FA compo picks and priority picks. So on first glance, yes worthless.

The first round is predicted to have as many as 7 Northern Academy prospects with 5 if them likely to be top 10. All of these are also likely to be before any Walley or Banfield bids.

Here is a very rough view of where the 2025 Northern Academy prospects are seen to land (very early calls) along with points and 10% discounted points

1729467297486.png

In summary, the Northern Clubs will need to be holding nearly 10,000 points to land all their prospects.

They will not be able to gather up R3 picks and match the bids. The total value of the 18 R3 picks is only 2,644. Total Value of the R2 picks is 9,586. In summary, the 4 Northern clubs will have to be holding all of the 33 picks from 22 to 54 to land all 13 their prospects. And they will not have that many list spots open.

While early days, I expect that the shift out of the first round will occur but that there will be much greater demand for late R2 and R3 picks.

So Hawks finish as premiers and the F3 is pick 54. Add in 6 FA compensation picks and it is now 60. Take out the minimum 25 picks that the Northern Clubs will need to be holding prior to our prospects being bid on and pick 54 (the Hawks F3) ends up as the 35th pick.

Wow.

That is an interesting statement.

And we have around 14 forwards not counting mid/forwards.

Can see us looking at defenders with our 2nd and bringing in a couple more later picks.

Same with rookie selections.

Does Ruscoe at 193cm as a DFA come in as a straight replacement for Rotham? Ready to go depth 3rd tall.

I'm hoping the club look to have more attacking players with better skills in defence. I would like to see the club prep Ryan for HB through the off season and see how he goes.
Any views on what Maric is seen as? I have loved the way he looks to pass into the forward line. There have been calls for him to be a third tall defender of attacking off the HBF.

Move Maric & Ryan back full time.

Duggan and Kelly to more outside / wing positions.

Just on a previous question before I do some prep on ideas before a 8.30 WST call Dewar would need to be upgraded from the Cat B list before the draft if Champion was to slide through.

I think it's a 50/50 he slides through the main draft. His highlights look amazing but I doubt many people have watched his full games. Lots of question marks. He is a talented midget though.

AsterixTheGaul That'll be a match committee and planning decision. Not my realm mate. Maric and Ryan back is what I would do with how the game is progressing and as the coach.

If hawks perform as expected next year that hawks future third is worthless in points discussions.

Do not agree.

IMO If anything late 1st rounders will become more important and valuable. These are the picks clubs will need to pay points for top draftees needing points. The points no longer exist in later rounds.

And that is if the Hawks improve. No guarantees that happens. Barrass and Battle will take time adjusting to a new game plan and style and new team-mates. They won't gel as a cohesive unit straight away. Don't be surprised if the best of Barrass and Battle at the Hawks is in 2026 not their 1st season at a new club.

Dude.

We were discussing the forward line.

The forward six were listed.

The bed wetters did what they do. We wont contend for 10 years. Where is the improvement coming from?

Thats what was being discussed.

I listed a forward six with a bench showing where the improvement will come from. Oldest players being Allan and Waterman.

You trot in and start shouting at clouds that we wont contend next season or in the near future.

Totally different discussion

Im not dissagreeing with that at all. But we will improve. We have the building blocks. And sure we are missing pieces.

You can lol and be grumpy all you like. Shout at a couple more clouds if it makes you feel better.
Sweet.
I didn't actually, go back and look.You mentioned raising the floor and running out four quarters and I made a joke about the credits crew being replaced.
You then decided to take my obviously joke comment seriously and took the conversation away from just the forward line.

Last edited:
Hopefully we make up for it by drafting more players next year, but decent chance a bunch of them are traded for Warner...
We want Hawks to have an "adjustment" year and miss the 8. Which would give us maybe pick 2, 10, 20. Offer 10 and 20 knowing Swans will want 2 and 10. Let it go right to the last minutes of the trade period, "Okay, we'll do it. We'll meet you half way. Here's 2 and 20". Or if the player at 2 looks like an absolute gun, 10 and F1 and back ourselves to climb.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back