List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
The club better be aware of our lack of KPD depth and are seeking to rectify it.

That better be a priority.

If they go meh we will deal with it next trade/draft then I'm going to be pissed.

It's literally a code red problem. The horse is almost bolted

I literally sounded the alarm in 2022.

We have some depth.

We just dont know if the young ones are good enough.

Happy to draft another project tall defender later in the draft if we dont get Busslinger.

Last edited:
Mate take a chill pill and a deep breath.

I never said I would support that trade value. I stated what I feel will likely be needed to get it done. And I agree 100%, I wouldnt be happy with losing Archer Reid or Maric for Baker. Even a 2nd rounder hurts.

But we just tabled an offer and traditionally we dont shaft clubs so something of value likely gets given up. Thats the reality of the situation. And we likely will be dissappointed for what we give up. Why we needed to add a 2nd pick in the 40's for Brockman last year is an example of paying overs.

So as I said, we likely end up dissappointed in what we give up. Hopefully its a Petruccelle and a future 3rd but I would be surprised if we got off that cheaply. Or Bailey.
We have a very lean hand of draft capital as it presently stands this year.

Ideally I would want to use our first pick on a high grade midfielder (not Smith) and not split it.

As it stands we then have only one second rounder and then we move into the speculative territory of fouth rounders.
Clay Hall cost a fair bit last year. Was he worth it? We shall see.

We need to trade some players to get more picks. But I would not trade Maric - he is one of our most promising young players. Also Archer Reid is a very enticing prospect- a 203 cm forward ruck. But we have an excess of forward rucks.

I would trade BW, Petch, Culley, Jones, Jamieson, possibly HEdwards if we got Busslinger, even Cole although he seems pretty committed to the club.

There is not much there. Matt Clarke has to pull some rabbits out of the hat especially if we’re recruiting Baker.

The club better be aware of our lack of KPD depth and are seeking to rectify it.

That better be a priority.

If they go meh we will deal with it next trade/draft then I'm going to be pissed.

It's literally a code red problem. The horse is almost bolted

I literally sounded the alarm in 2022.

Do you know what “literally” means?

Twomey on SEN this morning:

Liam Baker (Richmond)

“We reported on Wednesday that the Eagles have put a long-term offer in front of him now.

“I’d expect that to be around the five-year mark. That will mean he has contract offers from West Coast, Fremantle and Richmond sitting in front of him.

“This happened a couple of years ago and he was pretty close to going at that point to West Coast or Fremantle. Both were in the race then, he obviously turned around and stayed.

“I’m not discounting Freo. The interesting thing is if West Coast do get him - and they are considered the favourites - but how do they actually get it done?”

(Twomey touched on Tom Barrass and how that could impact a possible Baker trade).

Tom Barrass (West Coast)

“Obviously the Tom Barrass situation is ongoing. Barrass has a significant offer in front of him from the Dogs.

“The Dogs aren’t doing that if it isn’t a chance. If Bailey Smith leaves the Dogs for a first-rounder, would the pick be good enough to prise Barrass out? And then could that pick be on-traded for Liam Baker?

“Because the Eagles are currently at Pick 3 or 4 in the draft. Ideally I don’t think they’d want to split that to get the Baker deal done.”

Chad Warner (Sydney)

“Both Fremantle and West Coast have been in direct contact with Warner in recent times.

“Contracted for next year, the hunt is on.

“Obviously both clubs getting their cattle ready for either the end of next year or beyond.

“This has still got a liveliness to it. It’s going to be one of footy’s biggest chases ever, the chase for the Warner signature.

“Both clubs are naturally on the front foot there. But I don’t think there’s a scenario where the Swans would let him go at the end of this year even if he did want to go.

“It’s significant that both clubs have been in contact with him. We’re talking about $1.4-1.5 million a year.”

Twomey on SEN this morning:

Liam Baker (Richmond)

“We reported on Wednesday that the Eagles have put a long-term offer in front of him now.

“I’d expect that to be around the five-year mark. That will mean he has contract offers from West Coast, Fremantle and Richmond sitting in front of him.

“This happened a couple of years ago and he was pretty close to going at that point to West Coast or Fremantle. Both were in the race then, he obviously turned around and stayed.

“I’m not discounting Freo. The interesting thing is if West Coast do get him - and they are considered the favourites - but how do they actually get it done?”

(Twomey touched on Tom Barrass and how that could impact a possible Baker trade).

Tom Barrass (West Coast)

“Obviously the Tom Barrass situation is ongoing. Barrass has a significant offer in front of him from the Dogs.

“The Dogs aren’t doing that if it isn’t a chance. If Bailey Smith leaves the Dogs for a first-rounder, would the pick be good enough to prise Barrass out? And then could that pick be on-traded for Liam Baker?

“Because the Eagles are currently at Pick 3 or 4 in the draft. Ideally I don’t think they’d want to split that to get the Baker deal done.”

Chad Warner (Sydney)

“Both Fremantle and West Coast have been in direct contact with Warner in recent times.

“Contracted for next year, the hunt is on.

“Obviously both clubs getting their cattle ready for either the end of next year or beyond.

“This has still got a liveliness to it. It’s going to be one of footy’s biggest chases ever, the chase for the Warner signature.

“Both clubs are naturally on the front foot there. But I don’t think there’s a scenario where the Swans would let him go at the end of this year even if he did want to go.

“It’s significant that both clubs have been in contact with him. We’re talking about $1.4-1.5 million a year.”
Barrass is worth more than Baker so it feels like something is missing here

Baker wont come for free. A 2nd and a fringe player is minimum IMO. Maybe a Archer Reid or Maric gets it done
Would not consider AReid or Maric as fringe players. Their ceilings are huge.
And using either as part of a trade for a younger well established player, maybe. But a small 27 year old?

Not sure if Richmond do it but I wouldn’t be against pick 2/3 for baker and pick 9 if Richmond get it for Rioli
Not sure I'd want that deal.

My ideal trade is Baker for B.Williams & a F4 or something along those lines.

24 year old FWD/RUCK @ 201cm. They could trade out Lynch for some good picks and park Williams in the square as they re-build.

Just hoping we can find a more creative trade than just RD2 or F2, as we need both picks.

Thankfully Clarke will probably know if Richmond rate anyone of our players higher than perhaps we might, which would certainly help.

Not sure if Richmond do it but I wouldn’t be against pick 2/3 for baker and pick 9 if Richmond get it for Rioli
team america vomit GIF

I don't want baker full stop, however unless Lalor or similar come storming up the order (it is very much a possibility and most would have noted how bullish i was on Lalor from the get go) there really isn't much difference in talent between pick 3 and pick 10-12. There's a few players in there that I just don't want the club to draft but if you were to drop from 3-9 this seems the year to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know what “literally” means?

In recent years they actually added a second definition of Literally to the dictionary to mean an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement. So, you can now literally say that the definition of literally is not literally accurate. And that literally blows my mind!

Active IS good. It means there are internal discussions being had around what a WC squad should look like next year and in 3 or 4 years time.
You then have to have trust in guys like Pyke, Simpson and Clarke to recognize what attributes the squad needs going forward.
Being linked with numerous players sends a message that as a club WC aren't happy with their current situation and looking for levers to change that.
Every team is constantly looking for avenues to get good players in- That's a given, and I doubt there never not active discussion within the club.

However numerous links ends up like North desperate to win trade week. Overpaying for solid to poor players.

Active is good to grab FAs like Flynn, but Brockman isn't up to it. It was obvious after 3 years at Hawthorn, and we burn that list spot and 2x years of development .

Every team is constantly looking for avenues to get good players in- That's a given, and I doubt there never not active discussion within the club.

However numerous links ends up like North desperate to win trade week. Overpaying for solid to poor players.

Active is good to grab FAs like Flynn, but Brockman isn't up to it. It was obvious after 3 years at Hawthorn, and we burn that list spot and 2x years of development .

Brockman is fine. I’m not sure why people think he’s a bust.

Sure he’s had issues off field & his production on field could be better but he looks good when he gets it & it normally leads of goals.

He’s halfway through his first season at a new club give him a break ffs

I don't want baker full stop, however unless Lalor or similar come storming up the order (it is very much a possibility and most would have noted how bullish i was on Lalor from the get go) there really isn't much difference in talent between pick 3 and pick 10-12. There's a few players in there that I just don't want the club to draft but if you were to drop from 3-9 this seems the year to do it.

Who would these players you don’t want us to draft be?

Did you think the same about Warner after his first couple of seasons? From memory, they weren't much chop.

Busslinger isn't the only answer, no. We can draft someone at 23 instead. But we need to bring a KPD in this off-season.
We traditionally get our KPD's from Claremont using a 2nd round (or later) or rookie pick. And in one case a father/son pick. Has been very fruitful and now the cockburners are following tack with the blood nut kid debuting last week.

For all those concerned about us overpaying at the draft table and the possibility it will happen again this year need to take a chill pill.

With a new CEO and list manager i'm pretty comfortable in saying they will do things their way, not the old way.

We're not going to burn relationships but the old guard is gone.

Back