List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I read somewhere that Maynard has played more games than anyone else in his draft year? If so he is even more outstanding at pick 30. He looks like another 300 game player.
Yes. On the weekend they said he was the first from his draft to 200.

Did I read somewhere that Maynard has played more games than anyone else in his draft year? If so he is even more outstanding at pick 30. He looks like another 300 game player.
He's the first player from his draft year to play 200 games.
He won't turn 28 until September, so he's a strong chance to get to 300.

Don't disagree....maybe just playing a bit of devils advocate here.

Is the access only a problem because they are good?

Our 'hit rate' from FS is under 50% btw.....which is probably a similar hit rate to normal draft selections.
Brown 0/2 (actually 0-3 if you include Tarni),
Cloke 1 from 3.
Shaw 1 from 2
NGA 1 from 3 or 4.
Kelly

Are ones off the top of my head that we had access to that didn't quite get there.
I'm sure there are more.

When you actually lay it out like that, its not too different to normal draft pick success rates.
Shaw was 1 in 3

The “next pick” system was flawed and had complaints too, because you could potentially get first rounders for a second round pick if a bid came after your first, or in the case of Sydney with Heeney, get a pick 2 with pick 18.
Really a points system that requires a first round bid to be matched with at least 1 first round pick involved in the points make up makes the most sense. And if you’ve got 2 first round prospects you have the option of using your future first to match the second bid. The whole concept of turning shit picks to gold was always going to be exploited by clubs, and they’ve found more and more ways to do it as time has progressed.
There's a corner case with the bid in the first round needing to be matched with a pick in that round. If the selection is made with the last pick in the round, then the bid can't be matched (assuming the club making the selection can't trade the pick to the bidding club after they've made the selection) - a way around this is to have a rule that the matching club needs to use a pick within a nominated range of picks.

The issue with Sydney and the academies is that they are a well established AFL side now. They are a desired destination for players as seen by Adams and Grundy wanting to move there. Unlike GWS and Gold Coast they have Father Son opportunities as well.

While its beneficial for growing the game in NSW and producing talent, it's allowing Sydney to fish in a pool for players that other clubs don't have access to. Effectively, Sydney have access to every player in the national draft and their own pool of players whom they have first access.

There has to come a point where all clubs have fair access to these players just like players developed in Vic, SA or WA. Or Sydney pay close to market value to draft these players.
I think what’s also forgotton is that Auskick is quite strong in Sydney. Has been for 15 years. So, it’s not as if Sydney are plucking kids from a very limited pool and then developing them.

There is no reason why the AFL doesn’t control the academies in NSW and QLD.

GWS and Gold Coast are probably the only 2 teams that can’t benefit from FS.

Sydney have an extraordinary advantage over the rest of the competition without a doubt.

The only thing that costs more in Sydney in housing. But, spend 5 or 10 years there and you probably make more gains from your property than anywhere else in the country.

There's a corner case with the bid in the first round needing to be matched with a pick in that round. If the selection is made with the last pick in the round, then the bid can't be matched (assuming the club making the selection can't trade the pick to the bidding club after they've made the selection) - a way around this is to have a rule that the matching club needs to use a pick within a nominated range of picks.
I'd have it that you have to match with points from first round (or pick range), but it can take as long into the future as it takes - with you unable to trade out any more picks from that round until you've matched.

I think what’s also forgotton is that Auskick is quite strong in Sydney. Has been for 15 years. So, it’s not as if Sydney are plucking kids from a very limited pool and then developing them.

Sydney have an extraordinary advantage over the rest of the competition without a doubt.

The only thing that costs more in Sydney in housing. But, spend 5 or 10 years there and you probably make more gains from your property than anywhere else in the country.
Any player can buy real estate in Sydney, it's only the Sydney based players who need to live there.

Any player can buy real estate in Sydney, it's only the Sydney based players who need to live there.
Give them the same salary cap, but AFL to give players an accomodation allowance on top of salary, so that draftees aren't financially disadvantaged by being called out by Sydney, but Sydney can't pool all the accomodation allowances as a recruiting warchest.

Give them the same salary cap, but AFL to give players an accomodation allowance on top of salary, so that draftees aren't financially disadvantaged by being called out by Sydney, but Sydney can't pool all the accomodation allowances as a recruiting warchest.
AFL could provide subsidised housing for the disadvantaged dears in Sin City - maybe around Penrith...

Screenshot_20240620-134534~2.png

He's the first player from his draft year to play 200 games.
He won't turn 28 until September, so he's a strong chance to get to 300.

… premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that the same year they made a mockery of the live trading by doing 2 deals with WCE to trade out an earlier pick, use the lesser pick to match the bid....then trade the original pick back in?

some seriously good moves right there!!!

No I believe that happened after the points system came in. Heeney was the same year as Moore where they did the F/S bidding prior to the trade period.

Apparently Pies are interested in Cameron Zurhaar 26 year old free agent. Has ability especially as a forward. Wouldn’t mind him at the Pies tbh.

Was that the same year they made a mockery of the live trading by doing 2 deals with WCE to trade out an earlier pick, use the lesser pick to match the bid....then trade the original pick back in?

some seriously good moves right there!!!
The first one was Heeney - Sydney didn't have to do anything or couldn't do anything - them getting Heeney for pick 18 was just how the system worked.

The clever one that you're describing was for Mills.

yep. Should be an allowance paid by the AFL to subsidise the rent of those earning less than $400k.
Or, why doesn't the AFL simply build a block of apartments (12?) or provide the swans with a loan to do so, and new recruits can initially live there for a few years.

Spot on. I have lived my whole life in Sydney so definitely know the pros and cons of living here.

Advantages sydney swans have is

1) access to academy and FS (similar to Brisbane, but nobody else). This is one of the biggest advantages in the afl.
2) a distinct home ground advantage.
3) players can get around without being noticed or generally bothered by the public
4) Sydney has absolutely everything you need in a city so that is an attraction to players

Disadvantages are

1) housing prices, but not sure it is that much worse than rest of Australia.
2) other typical problems associated with big cities like traffic etc, but that can be mostly outside noise if you are in a professional sporting environment.

Maybe the Brisbane lions have similar advantages but I can't comment on living in Brisbane.

I swear people forget Geelong got Scarlett, Hawkins and Ablett through the FS as well. That’s three potential Hall of Fame members for basically nothing who contributed to 2-3 flags. Weird how it’s really taken Nick Daicos from COLLINGWOOD, for clubs to start complaining.
Father/Sons are available to all clubs (except maybe GWS and GC). It isn't as if 1 club has an advantage over another.
There's an element of luck (or club development at a younger age), which separates a high-quality FS from one that isn't on the same level.

I don't understand why clubs like St Kilda whinge over it. The question should be asked why don't they have any quality FS at the club?

Agree with this.

I know they are looking at re-introducing COLA, but what about cost of living for Melbourne in comparison to SA, WA, Queensland even Geelong and soon to be Tasmania? Lets face it, AFL players if managing their money correctly shouldn't have an issue buying a house in Sydney and they aren't exactly going to lose value on the asset.

I know there's probably an argument for Rookies. But when I moved to Melbourne after finishing Uni I lived in a share house until my income increased. It's just a part of life and AFL clubs if any have excellent support networks to house players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back