List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely no foundation to say this scenario would ever gain legs and run.

But let’s say Petracca and family (more so family) decide they have had enough of Melbourne FC and how they dealt with his injury during game and all of it afterwards.

Say Christian gets fed up with it all and requests trade to Collingwood end of year what can we offer?

Would Petracca be someone supporters would happily trade a future first at minimal for?

Heeney. With Mills on his way the following year.

The next pick was flawed and meant that top teams got top players cheaper than lower teams got them.
Yes, back then the Saints' President claim that top teams were favoured would have been true. It was reverse equalisation.

Still a better system than using whatever junk picks you can get. This goes back to favouring bottom teams, like us when we got Nick. So he should support that!

Edit: remembering - bottom teams had a chance at double dip, right? If you had first pick and a F/S rated as 2nd pick, or later, you would use you're 2nd rounder. So not only beneficial to the top teams, if that's how it worked. Another incentive to tank though.

Last edited:

But let’s say Petracca and family (more so family) decide they have had enough of Melbourne FC and how they dealt with his injury during game and all of it afterwards.

Say Christian gets fed up with it all and requests trade to Collingwood end of year what can we offer?

Would Petracca be someone supporters would happily trade a future first at minimal for?
Christian is a 28 year old man engaged to be married. I don't think his mum & dad would have much influence over his career anymore 😉

As for any trade, I'd prefer to keep anything worthwhile we have for a position we really need. Like a KPF. Or a younger midfielder like an LDU.

great trade

he could be playing until he is 35

will always be a dangerous forward

Plus: break the hearts of so many Dees’ kiddies

great trade

he could be playing until he is 35

will always be a dangerous forward

Plus: break the hearts of so many Dees’ kiddies
Halloween Candy GIF by BuzzFeed

People complained back then and it was changed to “next pick”.

Then they brought points and trading in. Which is really what screwed it all up.

Think FS are being included because of academies. It’s gone from maybe 1 FS inside top 20 every few years to 5+ every year.

So they are just throwing them both into the same pot to make it fairer.

I agree with the argument….just hope they bow to public pressure and change it this year to stitch up Blues.
We paid pick 9 for Darcy - not cheap

Pick in the 50s for Jaicos.

We essentially paid pick 2 for Nick - had he not been in the 2021st draft, we wouldn't have been looking to trade out our future first, thereby saving us pick 2. We're actually owed Callaghan.

All this banging on by other Clubs - as others have said, look at Geelong and Dogs before you look at us.

We essentially paid pick 2 for Nick - had he not been in the 2021st draft, we wouldn't have been looking to trade out our future first, thereby saving us pick 2. We're actually owed Callaghan.

All this banging on by other Clubs - as others have said, look at Geelong and Dogs before you look at us.

they don't create headlines.

I'm all for letting the clubs select NGA/FS players and set their value and them its on the club to match with a similar value pick not 4 picks in the 40s or 50s.

if the camporeale twins are first round talents carlton can pay 2 first round picks.

Quick summary of The Tackle on Bobby. Bobby’s contract is 4 years at $450k so debating whether we look to boost that given he’s worth more. An extension has been on the cards since before Wright left (that’s my assumption as it was Wright who put it on the agenda). Bobby’s upset by rumours about him going rumours about him going back to WA. Freo made enquiries earlier in the year. Bobby is between managers, he’s left McDougall (who the SEN bloke spoke to), not currently listed with anyone though the journos on The Tackle think he might be moving to Colin Young. Once the manager situation is sorted extension talks likely to start.
We wouldn’t have many on $500k +. He’s a good player but not worth more $$ than Mihocek and Maynard.

We're very relevant. The point was that having access to the player is a big advantage. Top teams can get access to top 5 players like Nick and Darcy without trading up. Therefore matching should require paying the full amount.

And lets face it. Without that access to Nick, Moore and IQ we wouldn't be premiers.

I wasn't actually calling us out as having gotten anyone for 'cheap'.
PS. you forgot the picks we spent on FS that didn't make it.....
But that wasn't the point of my post.

I was responding to the post around why cats got away with it (rules changed because of their haul) and why FS for Pies seems to be the yardstick and constant examples.

Like i said....FS is now front and centre because of academies.
No one cared when it was 1-2 players compromising a draft.
But the past 2 years its been 5+.....so since the mechanics of both work the same, of course they are going to be discussed together.

I agree something needs to be done with Academies.
Which unfortunately means FS will be looked at as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, if memory serves it was Sydney matching a Pick 2 bid with the last or second last pick of the first round that triggered the points system we currently have.
Was that the same year they made a mockery of the live trading by doing 2 deals with WCE to trade out an earlier pick, use the lesser pick to match the bid....then trade the original pick back in?

some seriously good moves right there!!!

I was responding to the post around why cats got away with it (rules changed because of their haul) and why FS for Pies seems to be the yardstick and constant examples.

But the past 2 years its been 5+.....so since the mechanics of both work the same, of course they are going to be discussed together.

Complaints went back to father son. It's why they've changed the system so many times.

This latest round of complaints comes down to GCs draft haul and then when you look at the current state of play, the two most likely teams this year - Sydney and Collingwood - have beaten the equalisation measure of the draft and rarely missed finals over the last 20 years and their current ascendency owes an enormous amount to draft concessions. It can give teams a huge advantage. Sydney and us emphasize how big that advantage is

Sorry - I wasn't actually responding to you, more in support. In "addition" to what you were saying.

There would be goodwill from Melbourne to Petracca. After what has transpired there is no way they could hold him against his will.

So I think it is very plausible.

Complaints went back to father son. It's why they've changed the system so many times.

This latest round of complaints comes down to GCs draft haul and then when you look at the current state of play, the two most likely teams this year - Sydney and Collingwood - have beaten the equalisation measure of the draft and rarely missed finals over the last 20 years and their current ascendency owes an enormous amount to draft concessions. It can give teams a huge advantage. Sydney and us emphasize how big that advantage is
Its an interesting debate.

There's an argument that we have maintained our place due to ridiculous longevity of a few players (both Traded & drafted) and astute trading around the edges.

Was it Moore (as the player) that everyone complains about? or that the rules back then allowed us to take JDG first?
So i don't think it's specifically F/S with us, just that we've gotten fantastic longevity out of players (which is now 10 years ago btw!)

With Syd.....it's far more skewed to academy.
They've traded well too....but by sheer weight of numbers of players on the list and best 22....the value they get from academies is far greater.

I mean, they got a F/S from another club (through their academy) because they were allowed to integrate that player into their academy at 13.....so where do you think they will go at 18?
Imagine if GC were allowed to take Nick or Josh into their academies at 13.....you think either would then move state and choose 'pies'?
To me, that's a huge problem as well (not just compensation and picks).

Note: this isn't on Syd....they are only doing what they are allowed to do....and they have used their academies brilliantly.

There's an argument that we have maintained our place due to ridiculous longevity of a few players (both Traded & drafted) and astute trading around the edges.

Was it Moore (as the player) that everyone complains about? or that the rules back then allowed us to take JDG first?
So i don't think it's specifically F/S with us, just that we've gotten fantastic longevity out of players (which is now 10 years ago btw!)

They've traded well too....but by sheer weight of numbers of players on the list and best 22....the value they get from academies is far greater.

I mean, they got a F/S from another club (through their academy) because they were allowed to integrate that player into their academy at 13.....so where do you think they will go at 18?
Imagine if GC were allowed to take Nick or Josh into their academies at 13.....you think either would then move state and choose 'pies'?

Note: this isn't on Syd....they are only doing what they are allowed to do....and they have used their academies brilliantly.
I agree, the northern academy rules need tinkering, and the NGA rules need to be changed to allow the teams that sponsor the NGA players to match bids at any point in the draft, not just from pick 40.
It's interesting that we drafted TJ at pick 37 and Hawthorn couldn't match, but TJ was a Pies supporter anyway - go figure!

Anyone know if we would have picked Chad Warner at pick 40 in the 2019 draft, had Sydney not grabbed him at pick 39? Or were we linked to Jay Rantall and would have grabbed him anyway? ****ing sliding doors with that one.

It's a combination of things with any club that's successful - drafting, trading, development, coaching, but I don't think you can get away from the simple premise that we wouldn't be where we are without priority access to Moore, Nick and IQ - didn't need priority access to Josh as no one wanted him earlier than we drafted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back