List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want an All Australian you have to pay up
It's a reason I'm not on board with getting Houston regardless of cost. In my view his value is inflated by being two time AA, meaning there's a risk of doubly over paying. Once to extract a contracted player, twice for a player whose value is inflated by accolades.

It's not a major concern as he is still good, even very good. There's just a risk there of putting up too much in a trade at a time where, given the age profile of our list, we've got some delicate balancing to do.

From a behind the scenes on draft night for us last year: "If Archer Reid and Logan Morris are still on the board at the Saints’ pick, which sits at 33, Wright says they’d be prepared to hand pick 37 and a future third round selection over to nab one of the talls."

Seems like, if you had an accurate read on how rare and valued tall forwards are, and you were prepared to draft one of them at #33 overall, then you should probably just take them at #25, and assume that you'll still be able to get a flanker in the 30s.
I’ve made this point several times
It didn’t make sense they they were prepared to offer up so much draft capital to get him at 33 when they could have drafted at 25

Not sure if it’s just me being greedy.
It feels like we’re giving a fair bit away for Houston.
Happy to be convinced…
A 27 year old dual All Australian with deadly disposal who averages over 20 possessions off the half backline could set us up for another tilt at a flag. I’m saying it’s worth the trade.

It's a reason I'm not on board with getting Houston regardless of cost. In my view his value is inflated by being two time AA, meaning there's a risk of doubly over paying. Once to extract a contracted player, twice for a player whose value is inflated by accolades.

It's not a major concern as he is still good, even very good. There's just a risk there of putting up too much in a trade at a time where, given the age profile of our list, we've got some delicate balancing to do.

I understand.

I rather win a premiership next year than worry about the future years.

A 27 year old dual All Australian with deadly disposal who averages over 20 possessions off the half backline could set us up for another tilt at a flag. I’m saying it’s worth the trade.
Agree. Take the chance on a known performer in Houston or keep a pick the following year for a raw, unknown, inexperienced 18 year old.

Seems a no brainer to me.

Perryman, Housten maybe
Stringer would have capped it off
I wonder who else we may target up forward? Lynch?

We need to be aggressive

We have only had Mihocek and McStay play together about 6 times in the past two seasons. As far as our forward targets go, we just need to make sure we keep Mihocek and McStay on the park together. There's nothing in terms of bringing in a key forward this trade period, as nothing is available of note anyway....

We have only had Mihocek and McStay play together about 6 times in the past two seasons. As far as our forward targets go, we just need to make sure we keep Mihocek and McStay on the park together. There's nothing in terms of bringing in a key forward this trade period, as nothing is available of note anyway....

We can't make sure Mihocek and McStay play together because they're constantly injured.
Your post is purely on hope and do nothing.
We must find an alternate good option - we can't sit still.
I don't mind going after someone cheap as chips like Membery as a minimum.

Houston puts us back in flag contention. The club will do everything possible to get him.

I fear though that Carlton might trump us. They are also likely to get Graham Wright as CEO. Flags tend to follow him.
The blues said that when the signed Judd, Malthouse, and Brian Cook as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't make sure Mihocek and McStay play together because they're constantly injured.
Your post is purely on hope and do nothing.
We must find an alternate good option - we can't sit still.
I don't mind going after someone cheap as chips like Membery as a minimum.
So are you saying to Membrey - “McStay and Brodie are bound to get injured so your time will come”
I’m tipping his response “is thanks but no thanks”.

I understand.

I rather win a premiership next year than worry about the future years.
Some would rather roll along around the eight for the next decade than win another flag or two it seems. I don't believe we will fall of this alleged cliff either. We are in good hands. Fly and co. are not the type to grab a flag for personal glory and then leave the club in a poor state on their retirement or sacking.

Agree. Take the chance on a known performer in Houston or keep a pick the following year for a raw, unknown, inexperienced 18 year old.

Seems a no brainer to me.
I have no brain, and I fully agree with your assessment.

I’ve made this point several times
It didn’t make sense they they were prepared to offer up so much draft capital to get him at 33 when they could have drafted at 25
If there was only 8 slots the difference in valuation, one would think that there's obvious far fewer key forwards available in any draft, and considering we apparently "just miss out" on the key forwards we rate every year after expending our top picks on mediocre midfielders who don't pan out, one might think you might make the decision to "reach" just slightly.

Just poor draft strategy, on repeat, for years now.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back