List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that according to an article in The Age today, we are shifting footy department spending from the GM position to recruiting. Wright came at a premium and they’ve decided the money is better spent on recruiting.

Can’t argue with that!
Are you able to please post the link to the article?

On SM-F731B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn't next year McGuane draft? Or is it the year after?

Apparently this is the year to load up on, very strong top 25.

At this stage all be it a full season of development to go next year isn't looking as good.
Yeah, next year is mcguane. We are going to have to lose a couple of decent players to get into this draft. I'm just not sure how we go about it

Yeah, next year is mcguane. We are going to have to lose a couple of decent players to get into this draft. I'm just not sure how we go about it

Hoping GC give up pick 20 for Beaker, or at worst 26.

Not sure if Carlton will deal on a bundle pack for thier FS picks. Lol or deal with us at all.

Be interesting to see what they do.

Very quiet on the home front this year, may well be a season we sit on our hands.

Other than having 2 years left on a contract, any way we can pry Ryley Sanders out of the dogs? He's obviously pissed off with Bevo.
Even if he leaves for Tassie team, he'll get us an extra juicy draft pick. (yes I know picks can be a bust)
We could use that pick with another for a gun player.
What would he cost us?
Does he have many flaws? Are they fixable?

Yup our issue is the opposite we don't INVEST early picks on them.

No top 20 picks on KPP since D.Moore.
I don’t think that Hine has an aversion to a particular player type tbh, it’s just that he has a rigid rule of best available regardless of list need. From a talent ID perspective it makes sense but from a list management perspective it ends up putting us in the situation we’re currently in. No high end KPP talent coming through in our youth, and us having to try to find established ones to trade in, which is more difficult than it sounds when we’re constantly weakening our own draft hands through unfavourable trades.

I’m hoping that Leppitsch coming in to list management and a better budget will change the way we look at our drafting strategies.

Last edited:
The fine isn't so soft. It's a 200% fine.

I don't know if that fine then gets included in the next footy department numbers, but if t does, it's pretty easy to see why clubs don't have a strategy of exceeding the cap.

More handicapping of the competition by the AFL.

You are an AFL footballer looking at more gametime or you are looking at returning to Melbourne or you are a p*ssed off Norm Smith Medalist realizing you made a big mistake by marrying the Melbourne Football Club. You want to play finals. But you are not looking at just 2025 moving clubs for one year, you are looking for the security of a decent contract, you also want to go to a club on the way up or who will challenge regularly. Collingwood come knocking.... They have a poor draft hand in 2024. Like their salary cap will have to kick the can down the road and trade their first for now. Will be in a similar position next year & likely the year after unless they do something drastic

You look at what the Pies can offer and the age profile of their squad (under 30) from 2026, because you do not want to go to a club like Richmond where they will down the bottom like NM, WCE and Hawthorn were for years. You see:
Allan (22) - Midfielder
Bytel (26) - Midfielder
JDaicos (27) - Midfielder/ HB
NDaicos (23) - Everywhere
Dean (25) - Defender
Demattia (21) - Midfielder
Eyre (24) - Tall defender
Harrison (23) - Small Forward coming back from ACL
Hill (26) - Small Forward
Jiath (21) - Defender
Kreuger (27) - Tall Forward
Lipinski (28) - Forward
Long (23) - Midfielder
Macrae (24) - Midfielder
McCreery (25) - Small Forward
McInnes (23) - Forward
Parker (24) - Small Defender
IQ (26) - Small Defender
Schultz (29) - Small Forward
Richards (27) - Small Forward
Ryan (22) - Small Defender
Sullivan (29) - Midfielder
Smith (21) - Ruck
Steene (23) Ruck

Your Manager suggests the Pies are not a good choice in the immediate term. What do you do?
There's a few possibilities...

- set up an innocent lemonade stall outside the AIA Centre

- go straight to the Derrimut cafe - do not pass Go

- walk around Toorak until you run into Eddie (the ex list manager) - ask him if he knows anyone at Cwood

- lie in wait at the Sorrento pub - get pictures....

EFA

Last edited:
I don’t think that Hine has an aversion to a particular player type tbh, it’s just that he has a rigid rule of best available regardless of list need. From a talent I’d perspective it makes sense but from a list management perspective it ends up putting us in the situation we’re currently in. No high end KPP talent coming through in our youth, and us having to try to find established ones to trade in, which is more difficult than it sounds when we’re constantly weakening our own draft hands through unfavourable trades.

I’m hoping that Leppitsch coming in to list management and a better budget will change the way we look at our drafting strategies.

Can't be rigid to a fault.
There is often very little in the 6th best and 7th best if needs is 7th imo you take it.

Trading in a top line KPP has proven far harder then the club thought and many on here still think is doable.

We missed both Cameron and Lynch and nothing to do with picks at the time they just chose to go to other clubs. Also missed Hogan as an opportunity as he wanted out of the spotlight and club had an aversion to him at the time after the death of his father sent him off the footy rails temporarily understandably.

Then most KP stay loyal to thier side who drafted them, very hard to pry them out.

I hope Pies are into A.Cadmans ear. Is developing nicely.

These two Rocca boys just won an under 14 premiership.
View attachment 2104924

Anyone know if they have thier fathers strong hands and booming kick on them?

Iirc Josh Fraser's young lad has a fair bit of height to him already. Josh always had the talent if his son has similar will gold us in good stead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick and Josh having 3 sons each would be nice.

And hopefully they have thier fathers Peter's ability to impart a love of the game and skills.

I don't know if it was because I moved to FNQ and it's all about RL here but my sons interest is minor at best. No local AR footy teams so couldnt play it.

Recently moved back down south to Adelaide and now all the kids are Aussie Rules aligned and I have seen a bit of an uptick in his interest and wants to play it.

I think that Bucks kids through Covid lost that passion unfortunately.

And hopefully they have thier fathers Peter's ability to impart a love of the game and skills.

I don't know if it was because I moved to FNQ and it's all about RL here but my sons interest is minor at best. No local AR footy teams so couldnt play it.

Recently moved back down south to Adelaide and now all the kids are Aussie Rules aligned and I have seen a bit of an uptick in his interest and wants to play it.

I think that Bucks kids through Covid lost that passion unfortunately.
Lets hope they NEVER move out of Victoria. I reckon they'll both be great teachers for their sons, they'll learn from Grandpa, Dad and Uncle. Could they be better than Nick?

Lets hope they NEVER move out of Victoria. I reckon they'll both be great teachers for their sons, they'll learn from Grandpa, Dad and Uncle. Could they be better than Nick?

Nick had a rare passion and drive to succeed from a very very young age that most kids do not possess.

But here's hoping.

You kind of feel if we can get back into the first round of this year, especially as it's likely to be in the 10-20 bracket (before FA compo and academy bids are added) that we may target talls, especially as it was reported earlier this year that we had an interest in the Whitlock twins.

The question is how we do it. The obvious one is to trade our F1 for a round 1 this year. Given everyone wants involvement in the draft this year that will be tricky but a couple of options could be:
  • Richmond: If they end up with the swag of first rounders as expected, they are almost certainly going to want to move a couple into next year and spread them over a couple of drafts.
  • Gold Coast: This is a case of taking advantage of the changes in the points table not coming in until next year. Depending on what Gold Coast have left after acquiring Rioli and Noble, they may look to move at least one first rounder to next year given that they have an academy pick this year under the old points table.
  • WA and SA teams: If there are any SA or WA talent they are trying to lure home (I know Warner may be one for the WA teams) the WA and SA teams may look to build up a bit of draft capital to be able to use in those possible trades.

Another way may be to see if we could package up a couple of second rounders we might be able to trade into the first round especially from teams like Carlton, GWS (I think), Brisbane or Gold Coast who have Academy or Father/Son bids to match. We do currently have a second rounder tied to Hawthorn and we possibly have a couple of players in Noble and Richards (the longer we hear nothing about his contract, the more likely it seems he's waiting probably for Port to finish their season) who are possibly going to attract an end of first round or second round selection in trades. Macrae and McInnes may also look to move on for opportunity but I have no idea what they are worth.

Of course it's always possible to trade a player out for picks, but you would have thought we'd have heard of any moves in that direction by now.

For those worrying about McGuane, especially with the new points table, remember that they are also bringing in the trading of picks two years in advance and history tells you that there is likely to be a player looking to be traded next year so I wouldn't panic about needing to have the points for him sorted this year.

Can't be rigid to a fault.
There is often very little in the 6th best and 7th best if needs is 7th imo you take it.

Trading in a top line KPP has proven far harder then the club thought and many on here still think is doable.

We missed both Cameron and Lynch and nothing to do with picks at the time they just chose to go to other clubs. Also missed Hogan as an opportunity as he wanted out of the spotlight and club had an aversion to him at the time after the death of his father sent him off the footy rails temporarily understandably.

Then most KP stay loyal to thier side who drafted them, very hard to pry them out.

I hope Pies are into A.Cadmans ear. Is developing nicely.
We drafted Harry DeMattia last year, and whilst he might have been best available by Dekka's reckoning, Logan Morris was still there and has looked good for Brisbane this year.
Would Morris have been a choice better suited to our needs?
We need mids as well, of course, and we're yet to see Harry on the park.
It's hard to be definitive until they've been in the system for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back