List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand reluctance to trade F1, but if it is likely to be traded anyway, due to McGuane, using it to bring in a difference making player in Houston would be the best use we've made of one of these picks. Other examples: Beams and splitting into later picks.

Baulking at such a move because we're concerned we could slide down the ladder I think is too risk averse and passes up a genuine chance of getting better and challenging for a flag. I was doubtful on a Houston deal due to his age (27) and wanting to keep picks, but in the special circumstances of McGuane coming in and a couple of players wanting out, I'm fine with it.
Very well put. Several things have aligned to allow this to potentially happen.
-Houston is a player that is available and is can fill a huge gap for us
-we need to find a good first round pick from somebody who is selling
-GC happen to be selling pick 13 and at the same time, are poaching a contracted player from us
-Houston plays for Port Adelaide, who also happens to be poaching a player from our club
-our future first has less value to us than usual, due to signs pointing toward McGuane being one of the better draft prospects in 2026

If we had to scrape up two first round picks straight for Houston, it'd be a cost too much for where our list is at. If we can take Houston at the expense of our future first and two players who aren't best 15, and McGuane can continue kicking, we will be doing very well.

I’m far more relaxed bringing Houston in on this type of trade deal than paying up two first rounders in isolation.

Club knows what it is doing
Agree. He fits a definite need. Movement from defence was a big weakness once Nick was moved to the middle. We solved it by moving Josh back there, but he's better on the wing. Houston with his greater size is an even better half back than Josh or Nick and a clear upgrade on Noble.

The other positive I see: if we land Houston then we clearly have Perryman pegged as a mid not a half back. I like that a lot. Addressing another weakness.

wasn’t Tom Morris the one who said it was down to blues and north last week when Damo kept linking us?
Was embarrassing for several media figures to disregard Collingwood for not having the trade capital. Noble's request happened six weeks ago, and Richards' offer from Port came at a similar time. Both players want to move to clubs that we would have had to deal with for Houston. If we wanted to enter the race, we clearly could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. He fits a definite need. Movement from defence was a big weakness once Nick was moved to the middle. We solved it by moving Josh back there, but he's better on the wing. Houston with his greater size is an even better half back than Josh or Nick and a clear upgrade on Noble.

The other positive I see: if we land Houston then we clearly have Perryman pegged as a mid not a half back. I like that a lot. Addressing another weakness.
For me it’s like recruiting 2 players and filling three needs.
Perryman on ball.
Houston to half back.
Jaicos back onto a wing where he’s at his Copeland winning, damaging best.

The noble prizes are being announced this week. Anyone analyzing the Google search traffic for the word "noble" are going to be extremely confused as to why a red haired topped Aussie is more popular than the most prestigious scientific award.

Anyone else concerned about Noble being in the Qld sun next year?
Its Fine Burn GIF by Kel Cripe

Boy I would love a repeat of 2022 round 23 clash between Collingwood and carlton with the same stakes, Carlton needing a win to get into the 8. Only this time it will be Houston running down the middle and launching a nuke from outside 50 to end Carlton's season .
Personally I'd prefer it if Blues were nowhere near the 8 and we smashed them whilst Houston gets BOG for us.

Carltank totally Mackied it up.
Honestly only Carlton could have a dual AA player who plays in the exact role they desperately need, fall in to their laps in the middle of a premiership window, and then be such arrogant campaigners that they’d pass in favour of bringing in a draftee bEcAuSe ItS a StRoNg DrAft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back