News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume ‘last week’ means prior to the Dreamons game because whatever pump up he used against North did not work.

Pre-Melbourne game was 3 little pigs.

The article doesn’t say whether the new guidelines will be retrospective? (Ie: are we entitled to apply for salary cap relief for Murphy?)

Well we haven’t finished paying him, so does it even need to be retrospective?

8u61p0
It’s staggering that the AFL couldn’t foresee this and have something in place for this already.

By ‘staggering’ I of course mean ‘in line with expectation’.

Well we haven’t finished paying him, so does it even need to be retrospective?

The article did say that it’s not automatic and is at the discretion of the concussion panel.

So if the concussion panel has concluded and closed its work on this matter?

It’s staggering that the AFL couldn’t foresee this and have something in place for this already.

By ‘staggering’ I of course mean ‘in line with expectation’.

They haven’t even modified the bench rules to adapt to HIA’s and concussion.

I’m guessing that there’ll come a time in the next few years where a team can’t field 18 players. We already came close in the last few years (teams down to 18 players) and the AFL hasn’t thought to address it.

Funnily enough I was just rewatching this goal and the Elliott goal against Essendon today for fun.

The fact that we won the next year by playing that kings of the close finish style with single digit margins on all finals plus a few more classic late goals just enhances the mystique around the 2022 ones. Especially the Carlton one considering the insane final round scenario that unravelled.

We are just so incredibly lucky with the 2023 flag. I know the common saying is all flags are equal but let’s be honest they aren’t really. Our story from 2022-23, the emotions, thrills of close finishes, the sunny GF with arguably the best collection of goals of any GF ever and one of the best contests is something that I’ll never stop being thankful for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's great to see Swanny get the honour he so richly deserves.
The comments from MM are illuminating.

HH has a lot to live up to wearing 36, but, so far he's made a pretty good fist of it.

Swanny's HOF acceptance speech was a classic! 👍

The next time, some shock jock journalist or bigoted, obnoxious, opposition footy supporter takes it out on one of our players or the club, I'll try to remember Swanny's take on it all ;):
"To the fans, being such a powerful club like Collingwood, it’s amazing. They made me and I wouldn’t have the life I have today without them. Even the other ones, I love the cheers as much as I love the boo’s, if we all barracked for the same side, footy would be boring. I love the fact that we can have banter and take the p*ss out of each other’s sides and players, it’s what makes footy so great"

On field or off field?
It would be hard to match Swanny's off field exploits, but on field, who knows.
Young Harvey has the traits to be at least a very good player, and could be better than that.

PROJECTED WEEK 1 OF FINALS

First Qualifying Final (1st hosts 4th):
Sydney Swans vs Essendon at the SCG

First Elimination Final (5th hosts 8th): Fremantle vs Geelong at Optus Stadium

Second Elimination Final (6th hosts 7th): Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants at the Gabba

Second Qualifying Final (2nd hosts 3rd): Carlton vs Collingwood at the MCG

PROJECTED FINAL LADDER

Sydney Swans (19.15 projected wins)

2. Carlton (15.75)

3. Collingwood (14.05)

4. Essendon (13.95)

5. Fremantle (13.55)

6. Brisbane Lions (13)

7. GWS Giants (12.9)

8. Geelong (12.85)

9. Western Bulldogs (12.6)

10. Port Adelaide (12.35)

11. Melbourne (12.1)

12. Gold Coast Suns (11.8)

13. Hawthorn (11.75)

14. St Kilda (8.85)

15. Adelaide Crows (8.5)

16. West Coast Eagles (5.8)

17. Richmond (5.1)

18. North Melbourne (2.95)

4. COLLINGWOOD (8-4-2, 107.3%)

Remaining games

Round 16:
Gold Coast Suns at People First Stadium

Round 17: Essendon at the MCG

Round 18: Geelong at the MCG

Round 19: Hawthorn at the MCG

Round 20: Richmond at the MCG

Round 21: Carlton at the MCG

Round 22: Sydney Swans at the SCG

Round 23: Brisbane Lions at the MCG

Round 24: Melbourne at the MCG

Remaining fixture difficulty: 5th-hardest

There were plenty of concerns after their 0-3 start, but when all of those stats came out about 0-3 teams rarely contending for a premiership, the unwritten part was “but if they only lose one of their next 11 games, they’ll be fine”. Lo and behold, the Magpies have lost just once since Round 2, and last week’s scare against North Melbourne aside are pretty clearly a premiership contender once more. It helps when you’ve got seven of your last nine games at home, though there are no easybeats on this fixture (even the Tigers are tougher than the ladder suggests), and the two away trips are bloody difficult - the Suns are unbeaten at home, and the Swans are the Swans. We still favour Craig McRae’s men to clinch a top-four spot and they’ll be hoping to get into that 2nd vs 3rd qualifying final (which could be at the MCG even if they’re not ‘hosting’ it) so they have the best chance possible at a home prelim (and to avoid Sydney in said game). A Carlton-Collingwood qualifying final, with the winner maybe facing Essendon in a prelim, might break the MCG...

Fox Footy’s projection: 14.05 wins, finishing 3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back