Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

This is really important to you, isn't it?

It is merely a factor in the discussion, no more or less important than other factors VB. Just when Fadge starts falsely proclaiming Pies as a great club to support on a bang for buck basis, it becomes a very relevant factor in the discussion, don’t you agree? 😁

It is merely a factor in the discussion, no more or less important than other factors VB. Just when Fadge starts falsely proclaiming Pies as a great club to support on a bang for buck basis, it becomes a very relevant factor in he discussion, don’t you agree? 😁
I made the mistake of checking in on what this thread is about. It's given me a headache reading the banter. I'll need to excuse myself never to return.

Finals fatigue doesn’t seem to be an issue for Cats fans then, only Collingwood. What a surprise.
Geelong 2012 EF against Freo at the G only 44k rocked up.

Same thing, after seeing their team play PFs or better for five years, an EF doesnt have same appeal.

It really shouldnt be hard to understand.

Have a long drought where you dont see finals, when finally make it absolutely everyone (even neutrals) want to be there.

When coming off a period of success many supporters arent jumping out of their skin to see an EF (and neutrals dont bother to go along to see the same old team again).

Geelong 2012 EF against Freo at the G only 44k rocked up.

Same thing, after seeing their team play PFs or better for five years, an EF doesnt have same appeal.

It really shouldnt be hard to understand.

Have a long drought where you dont see finals, when finally make it absolutely everyone (even neutrals) want to be there.

When coming off a period of success many supporters arent jumping out of their skin to see an EF (and neutrals dont bother to go along to see the same old team again).

On that basis Geelong v Richmond 2019 PF should have a crowd of about 30k.

Checks….nope, 94,423. So much stamina Richmond and Geelong supporters. So little stamina Collingwood supporters. 😁

Did the 2019 PF get a bigger or smaller crowd than the 2017 QF?

Thanks for proving my point.

Lol, yes of course. Near identical crowds, because 90k+ turn up to watch Richmond MCG finals no matter what.

Unlike some of the sparse audiences we have seen from the lack of Collingwood supporter base in MCG finals in recent years. 😁

51k. We get more than that to our local Clean Up Australia volunteer days. 😎

Lol, yes of course.
Got a smaller crowd to a PF in 2019, compared to the QF in 2017.

Because 2017 was the drought breaker, the once in a generation season.
Near identical crowds, because 90k+ turn up to watch Richmond MCG finals no matter what.
Except when playing Essendon only 78k went to that.

Unlike some of the sparse audiences we have seen from the lack of Collingwood supporter base in MCG finals in recent years. 😁
Living with covid era, ie recent, Pies have seven crowds above 72k, including two 90k finals.

Tigers in living with covid era have 0 crowds above 72k.

Got a smaller crowd to a PF in 2019, compared to the QF in 2017.

Because 2017 was the drought breaker, the once in a generation season.

Except when playing Essendon only 78k went to that.

Living with covid era, ie recent, Pies have seven crowds above 72k, including two 90k finals.

Tigers in living with covid era have 0 crowds above 72k.

1. "Got a smaller crowd to a PF in 2019, compared to the QF in 2017.

Because 2017 was the drought breaker, the once in a generation season.”

Yes 600 Cats fans must have been badly fatigued to miss the second edition.

2. "Except when playing Essendon only 78k went to that.”

You are referring to 2001. Collingwood had a greater supporter base than Richmond at that time, this has never been disputed. But the thread question doesn’t ask about bygone eras about which the Collingwood FC is rightly nostalgic as they had little else to celebrate other than their big supporter base who themselves were given nothing to celebrate. We can see the last remnants of this in you, Fadge South of the Yarra and a few others going ape droppings over a couple of sub-average Richmond MCG finals crowds, and a gloriously unforgettable Semiership. 🤣

3. "Living with covid era, ie recent, Pies have seven crowds above 72k, including two 90k finals.

Tigers in living with covid era have 0 crowds above 72k."

You had a decent home and away season but as we know this can be skewed by all sorts of factors. See how you go getting 90k+ to 7 MCG finals in succession. Or should I say try getting to 3 for now, baby steps. Plus, double Daicos novelty factor the main thing driving those numbers with a bit of greatest supporter base Richmond coaching flavour thrown in with Fly and Leppa, and 100% copied game plan and players laughing before matches plan. If we had two of Royce Hart’s sons playing for us every game would be a sellout. We will see that novelty factor wear off soon enough. You’ll be back to 52,000 MCG finals in no time, sad really. Next thread will be some other peloton club trying to challenge us, you lot are cooked. 😎

Last edited:
I donated money to help keep your club alive in 1990 only 8 years after you played in a grand final. Such loyalty and passion.

Almost went the way of the Roys.

As I and others have said before, the answer to the question posited clearly has to be given in the context of both club's entire existence, not a conveniently selected era of five years or during a time of unprecedented success. The Collingwood Football Club is so far out in front by every measure it is a ridiculous debate to be having.

I donated money to help keep your club alive in 1990 only 8 years after you played in a grand final. Such loyalty and passion.

Almost went the way of the Roys.

As I and others have said before, the answer to the question posited clearly has to be given in the context of both club's entire existence, not a conveniently selected era of five years or during a time of unprecedented success. The Collingwood Football Club is so far out in front by every measure it is a ridiculous debate to be having.

That's an interesting take

Using the same reasoning, dinosaurs rule the earth, even though they are extinct

They were on earth for about 150 million years, humans about 1 million max.

You are referring to 2001. Collingwood had a greater supporter base than Richmond at that time, this has never been disputed. But the thread question doesn’t ask about bygone eras about which the Collingwood FC is rightly nostalgic as they had little else to celebrate other than their big supporter base who themselves were given nothing to celebrate. We can see the last remnants of this in you, Fadge South of the Yarra and a few others going ape droppings over a couple of sub-average Richmond MCG finals crowds, and a gloriously unforgettable Semiership. 🤣
Correct, Pies consistently been #1 for majority of history.

Late 90s, Essendon moving to the G and winning flags saw them have a bubble where they edged us.

Just like the Tigers had a lil bubble in 2017-18 where they edged us. But the thread ismt about bygone eras.

In 2019 we had the bigger attendance. In 2022, once we began living with covid and crowds were back, Pies again easily the bigger attendances, 100k+ members and two 90k finals (the supposed yardstick)

Tigers are back to being in the pack, like they have been for entire history except for the bygone era bubble of 2017-18 which was the end of a mammoth period of irrelevance.
3. "Living with covid era, ie recent, Pies have seven crowds above 72k, including two 90k finals.

Tigers in living with covid era have 0 crowds above 72k."

You had a decent home and away season but as we know this can be skewed by all sorts of factors.
Yeah, we never get to play the Pies to boost our crowds.
See how you go getting 90k+ to 7 MCG finals in succession. Or should I say try getting to 3 for now, baby steps.
Well if we get another 5 Vic v Vic clashes like the Tigers did, will do it easily.

Now that Mrs Hardwick has left, tigers are cooked...she was the mastermind.

That's an interesting take

Using the same reasoning, dinosaurs rule the earth, even though they are extinct

They were on earth for about 150 million years, humans about 1 million max.
What a shite take.

Pies ruled in 2022
Pies ruled in 2012
Pies ruled in 2002
Pies ruled in 1992

A tiger bubble in 2017-18 is old news now, but all you Tigers do is post about that lil period pretending it is still current.

What a shite take.

Pies ruled in 2022
Pies ruled in 2012
Pies ruled in 2002
Pies ruled in 1992

A tiger bubble in 2017-18 is old news now, but all you Tigers do is post about that lil period pretending it is still current.

The news is you can't come close to our numbers,

The Freo crowd was a great example, 90k is awesome, but it is not 95k

The excuses keep coming, chronic fatigue, finals fatigue, Nostradamus syndrome, ticketing systems, weather, there is always an excuse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The excuses keep coming, chronic fatigue, finals fatigue, Nostradamus syndrome, ticketing systems, weather, there is always an excuse
Sorry, did Richmond get a 95K finals crowd against an interstate team in 2022?

I must have missed that.

Something something 2017.

Talk to us if you get a 75k crowd in 2023, as couldnt manage it in 2022.

Something something 2017.

Talk to us if you get a 75k crowd in 2023, as couldnt manage it in 2022.
75k crowd ?

mate we have gotten 90k+ crowds over our last 10 finals in melbourne

75k crowd? we got that in a pre season grand final in 92 at waverley, a sell out and it took me 3 hours to get out of the carpark lol

The biggest tragedy is that the MCG doesn't fit us, if it had a capacity of 150k we would fill it.

75k crowd ?

mate we have gotten 90k+ crowds over our last 10 finals in melbourne
We are talking current era, not bygone eras.

2020s Richmond are yet to crack 75k.

Pies have 7 such crowds and still alive.
The biggest tragedy is that the MCG doesn't fit us, if it had a capacity of 150k we would fill it.
Nah the 2020s show you cant crack 75k.

You had a decent home and away season but as we know this can be skewed by all sorts of factors. See how you go getting 90k+ to 7 MCG finals in succession. Or should I say try getting to 3 for now, baby steps. Plus, double Daicos novelty factor the main thing driving those numbers with a bit of greatest supporter base Richmond coaching flavour thrown in with Fly and Leppa, and 100% copied game plan and players laughing before matches plan. If we had two of Royce Hart’s sons playing for us every game would be a sellout. We will see that novelty factor wear off soon enough. You’ll be back to 52,000 MCG finals in no time, sad really. Next thread will be some other peloton club trying to challenge us, you lot are cooked. 😎

So eloquently put, it's amazing how the pies supporters talk about 2022, finished top 4, 11 straight wins, if that's not stirring up the faithful to attend in bigger numbers, I don't know what will. Over 5 years we still hold sway.

2017 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 4, Coll 4
2018 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 7, Coll 4
2019 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 6, Coll 6
2020 – (No Crowds)
2021 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 5, Coll 3
2022 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 3, Coll 6
= Top 50 crowds in last 5 years, Rich 25. Coll 23

You’ll be back to 52,000 MCG finals in no time, sad really. Next thread will be some other peloton club trying to challenge us, you lot are cooked. 😎

That 90K v Freo was an anomaly, if you go by all their previous finals V interstate teams all around 60 to 70K and let's not forget the doozy 51K V port.
Not only finals but only a matter of time until they get back to these crowds, Friday night footy you say :p 20K V Freo

piescrowd3.jpg

So eloquently put, it's amazing how the pies supporters talk about 2022, finished top 4, 11 straight wins, if that's not stirring up the faithful to attend in bigger numbers, I don't know what will. Over 5 years we still hold sway.

2017 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 4, Coll 4
2018 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 7, Coll 4
2019 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 6, Coll 6
2020 – (No Crowds)
2021 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 5, Coll 3
2022 – Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 3, Coll 6
= Top 50 crowds in last 5 years, Rich 25. Coll 23
LoL at including 2021 but not 2020.

Wonder why?

2020 - Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 0, Coll 3

2020s it is Pies 12 to Rich 8

I will let you total up the 2010s if you want 😘

Or you can just focus on the lil bubble of 2017-18 like all Tigers seem to.

LoL at including 2021 but not 2020.

Wonder why?

2020 - Top 10 biggest crowds, Rich 0, Coll 3

2020s it is Pies 12 to Rich 8

I will let you total up the 2010s if you want 😘

Or you can just focus on the lil bubble of 2017-18 like all Tigers seem to.

LOL you're hilarious, 2020 no crowds in Vic and most of the country, it's pretty self explanatory but not for you it seems. 2021 there were crowds every week, in every state. Restricted for games but that affected every team. 2021 was played in front of crowds, you get that right? no matter how you want to ignore it, you can't, period. No bubble i counted 2017-2022, 2018 pies played GF, 2019 you played PF, inc your highly talked about 2022 (Top 4).

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Last edited:
LOL you're hilarious, 2020 no crowds in Vic, it's pretty explanatory but not for you it seems. 2021 there were crowds every week. Restricted for games but that affected every team.
Oh so it is only Melbourne crowds that count?

Guess you better exclude any top 10 2021 crowds that were outside of Melbourne?
2021 was played in front of crowds, you get that right?
Yeah still with significant restrictions, hence top crowds were low 50s and Perth dominated the top20.

But yes, it is obvious why you include an asterix covid impacted 2021 and try to pass it off as if the crowds werent restricted.

2020s, Richmond are yet to crack 75k...even Freo have!
no matter how you want to ignore it, you can't, period.
The 2010s when we didn't play finals, oh ok :rolleyes:
Like 2017, when Pies didnt play finals?

Good on the Tigers for having an outlier bubble for few years in late 2010s. Nobody is denying that after a 35 year drought the Tigers pulled a few big crowds.

But you guys need to twist yourself into random select historical stats to try and claim relevance....it is hilarious.

At least the meteor drops in some quality banter.

The rest of you actually think 2017 is relevant still. A bit sad really.

Oh so it is only Melbourne crowds that count?

Guess you better exclude any top 10 2021 crowds that were outside of Melbourne?

No, I went on afltables which includes all teams in all states, all stadiums. In the top 10 highest crowds i counted how many pies and how many tigers.
For example, freo v eagles were 9th (51,692) in the top 10 (2021).

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Back