Unofficial Preview Coll vs Rich (Armstrong & Dwyer out, Seed and JDG confirmed, team in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out:

Dywer: Can't believe people some people on this forum call him UNDERRATED... his defensive efforts are as poor as anyone in the AFL, he is slow and weak and brushed off easily. Offensively his 10-15 touches a game are simply not damaging enough. The only time he plays well are when we are smashing the opposition. Last year on the list.

Armstrong: well... he tried, but anyone who denies he is a total spud has no clue. I see absolutely zero reason to play mature age spuds when we have talented youth in the wings.

Karnezis: Let his opponent run free the entire game and gave us very little, extremely overrated player and frankly his career is in the balance.

In:

Sidebottom (if fit): Will help lots through the midfield and snag 1 or 2 goals

Ramsay/Seedsmen: Whoever is closest to 100% fitness

De Goey: Class above VFL level, time to get games into the future.

Witts is bloody lucky to not get dropped, but if Gault got to play for a month without delivering then so does Witts.

I think you are on the money here Kappa. The forward line is a real worry too. Do we continue with three talls or introduce smaller options? I think Fasolo has a real opportunity to get back into this team.

Witts made some howlers last night but I hope we give him a decent run in the team. Our ruck combination will be a major asset over the next ten years and we need to get games into them. We also need to start transitioning older players out for our young kids. By the end of the season I hope to see De Goey, Freeman, Scharenberg and Moore in the side. Wins are irrelevent this year.

Out: Cloke, Dwyer, Armstrong

In: Seedsman, Ramsey, DeGoey (if he plays good in the magoos)

Cloke has to go. I don't care how good a target he is, if he misses goals he isn't in the best team. He is costing us games atm and is isn't good for the team short or long term. He either goes back to the magoos for a few weeks and learns to kick or he can play for Carlton next season for all I care.

Not a prediction, but certainly what I'd like to see based on form:

In: Sidebottom, Seedsman, Fasolo, De Goey.
Out: Blair, Dwyer, White, Armstrong.

Sidebottom is our second best player and if right to go is a must play.

Seedsman is an automatic in and a must play on form and is for me a top 15 player on our list with the penetration/meters gained.

Fasolo is playing good footy in the VFL providing a marking target and scoreboard impact. He shouldn't be used as deep as he is in the front half at VFL level, I'd like to see him push more onto a forward flank and in that role as a playmaker finding inside 50 targets he can I feel have a big impact for us.

De Goey has played some solid footy through the VFL and looks ready for another crack to me. He just brings that right intent to the contest so we can use him.

--
Blair for me was worst on ground tonight. He has a go and pressures, but he isn't a threat up forward, so much so that he kicked no goals and Enright zoned off him throughout the game to have his first truly big game of the season. You just can't carry that.

Dwyer for me the past few weeks hasn't been good enough and with our gameplan so focused on pressuring and causing turnovers he isn't the best fit for this team.

White for me doesn't offer anything any of our smaller/medium forwards don't. With Karnezis in the front half and Grundy/Witts sharing the ruck load I don't feel structurally White is as necessary as is assumed and I'd personally leaving both he and Gault out of the seniors with others better able to contribute towards winning.

Then Armstrong for me down back isn't really suitable. I'm not going to say that he isn't an AFL standard footballer like most assume. He just isn't an AFL standard defender without a real weapon, as down back you really need dominant 1v1 ability, freakish pace or a penetrating kick, and he doesn't have those tricks. For me Armstrong is a forward flanker and is continuing to be wasted down back, with his skill being his class, time and space and ability to find the short-medium targets lace out which is perfect as someone who can set up your deep forwards.

Blair was poor last night but I would be dropping PK before him.

Out: Cloke, Dwyer, Armstrong

In: Seedsman, Ramsey, DeGoey (if he plays good in the magoos)

Cloke has to go. I don't care how good a target he is, if he misses goals he isn't in the best team. He is costing us games atm and is isn't good for the team short or long term. He either goes back to the magoos for a few weeks and learns to kick or he can play for Carlton next season for all I care.
Say what?

Agree - Cloke is easily the most overpaid player in the AFL
I agree that Cloke is the elephant in the room.He is being paid big bucks only to stuff up at the end of the hard work by his teammates to get the ball to him.He's been missing the easy shots for years now.The guy needs a lot more help between the ears.

Out - for the while season unless absolutely necessary; White (just doesn't care), Dwyer (not good enough), Armstrong.

In - ramsay, seed, de Goey

Next week we want Sidebottom in for PK.

Bucks said last night that Steele will play against Richmond. Seedsman may not be ready.
That runs contrary to what the club posted on Twitter, on both counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sidey isn't ready to play next week according to Bucks. :(

I'd like both the Seed back in for Armstrong, and DG for Dwyer (gotta back the youth). No point being on the receiving end of 10 goal hidings with 27 year olds...

Must persist with Witts.

Cloke is damaged as a player in the deep forward line if he can't convert the easy shots so I'd position him CHF or the wing.

Not sure about all the Witts hate. I think he made some mistakes, but he also showed a few times that he and Grundy could really form a dynamic duo in the future. I'd be giving him at least another game or two to find the speed again. He showed enough last year with time.

I would be dropping White and Cloke for discipline reasons, but given our lack of forward options, maybe just drop White and make sure Cloke is playing as a leading centre half forward.

Witts made some howlers last night but I hope we give him a decent run in the team. Our ruck combination will be a major asset over the next ten years and we need to get games into them. We also need to start transitioning older players out for our young kids. By the end of the season I hope to see De Goey, Freeman, Scharenberg and Moore in the side. Wins are irrelevent this year.

Transitioning older players is problematic. What is the age benchmark 25 or 27 onwards? If look at team last night who are we talking about?

Blair (25), Cloke, Goldsack, White, Varcoe, Swan, Brown, Pendles, Armstrong, Dwyer and Toovey?

Who do you think will go out, Blair, Dwyer, Varcoe... For say Kennedy, DeGoey and Freeman?

Goldsack or Toovey for Shazz?

White of Cloke for Moore?

And just omit Armstrong.

Or are you also suggesting a gradual omission of Swanny?

Transitioning older players is problematic. What is the age benchmark 25 or 27 onwards? If look at team last night who are we talking about?

Blair (25), Cloke, Goldsack, White, Varcoe, Swan, Brown, Pendles, Armstrong, Dwyer and Toovey?

Who do you think will go out, Blair, Dwyer, Varcoe... For say Kennedy, DeGoey and Freeman?

Goldsack or Toovey for Shazz?

White of Cloke for Moore?

And just omit Armstrong.

Or are you also suggesting a gradual omission of Swanny?

From last night's team I would say that Blair, White, Varcoe, Armstrong and Dwyer are all players who will eventually be replaced by Moore, Scharenberg, Freeman, De Goey and Kennedy. Blair is the only one from that group who has long term potential.

I would think seedsman and ramsey come in if fit for dwyer and armstrong.

I think we will stick with witts one more week.

I wouldnt make drastic changes on the back of one loss. And i doubt sidebottom will be ready.

PK is a tough one. I would actually use him as a forward. He is good in the air, a good shot on goal and can lead.

Id like to see Kennedy and Fasolo play well in vfl because i want them in the side.

From last night's team I would say that Blair, White, Varcoe, Armstrong and Dwyer are all players who will eventually be replaced by Moore, Scharenberg, Freeman, De Goey and Kennedy. Blair is the only one from that group who has long term potential.
Yep I think you are right

Cloke has 14 goals in 6 games yeah he probably should have 20 but he is much better then last year

Remember Clokey would go missing last year this bloke has had a massive crack each week

Hope people have woken up and put things into perspective this morning

Last edited:
In: Gault, Sidebottom, Ramsey, Seedsman

Out: Witts, Armstrong, Karnezis, Dwyer

If any of those ins aren't ready then replace with De Goey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back