News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still on-board the dimma appointment I think long term it pays off but I think it shows dew wasn't the problem. Wonder if a few of the players that loved dew aren't fully committed this year, will be interesting come trade week.
There were very few players who loved Dew

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once again I question Hardwick. We have not improved, beaten by ****ing West Coast and North, I can see Richmond beating us to finish the season as well. How are we stagnating
He’s been here for less than a year mate. Severe overreaction. It’s more on the players for not going out and executing. Things will turn.

He’s been here for less than a year mate. Severe overreaction. It’s more on the players for not going out and executing. Things will turn.
And we have shown 0 improvement. All the carry on was we would improve under a good coach. Other teams seem to be able to do it, why haven't we? We are just doing the same thing we do every year. Disgraceful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we have shown 0 improvement. All the carry on was we would improve under a good coach. Other teams seem to be able to do it, why haven't we? We are just doing the same thing we do every year. Disgraceful
We have improved, we have gone undefeated at home bar the Brisbane blemish last week and have turned people first into a fortress with home ground advantage. I’d say that’s a pretty good improvement.

Dimma has been here less than 12 months. This year was always going to be a growing year with him figuring out what he’s got list wise and who is best played in what position to their strengths.

If next season turns out the exact same way as this season has then yes absolutely it’s panic stations.

I will say our inability to win away from home this year is incredibly concerning though and the damage these losses do to the inner belief of the group cannot be understated. Zero resilience and mental toughness.

I am more convinced than ever he's the man for the job
I think when he arrived it was all laughs and sunshine
Now not so much
He's pretty ****ing angry
He knows what we need and he will get it done
He did many dumb players moves this year. Looking forward to next season to get it done.

He did many dumb players moves this year. Looking forward to next season to get it done.
I think he was finding out a fair bit about the player list
If you move players as soon as the momentum shift how are you going to know if that player can dig in and return fire?
I'm in the camp that thinks Dimma would have loved to have got us to finals but sees finding out about his player's quality much much more important to longterm success
He knows a lot more about who can do what than he did in January

He can't come in and say
"Oh I need a year or so to work out who can and who can't
Don't expect too much guys!!!"
Luckily he has a loyal fan base who has learnt over the years to expect very very little!!!:p:p

I think he was finding out a fair bit about the player list
If you move players as soon as the momentum shift how are you going to know if that player can dig in and return fire?
I'm in the camp that thinks Dimma would have loved to have got us to finals but sees finding out about his player's quality much much more important to longterm success
He knows a lot more about who can do what than he did in January
Sure he learned a lot about players. It probably cost us.

Just an example. Why giving another opportunity yesterday to Fiorini on the wing? We all know how it will end.

Don't start me on Holman on the wing, Flanders half season as HB and so on. Now he is trying Weller as HB despite not being a good defender.

Sure he learned a lot about players. It probably cost us.

Just an example. Why giving another opportunity yesterday to Fiorini on the wing? We all know how it will end.

Don't start me on Holman on the wing, Flanders half season as HB and so on. Now he is trying Weller as HB despite not being a good defender.
We have holes.
He's trying to patch them
You are actually just confirming the hypothesis
If we had a settled team with players defining their postions and making them their own we would be playing finals
No good Weidling moving Panzer Divisions into the Seelow Heights if they're just old men and kids in army uniforms

Hardwick made it happen at Richmond taking a losing team to a dominant dynasty - it might have been the list and it might have been the management at Richmond (Brendan Gale) and it might have been his team of assistants or ALL of the above more than likely
So we know he can do it and knows what it takes so we rely on him now to dig down into his experience and instincts to figure out what our list, our club and his coaching team needs to change to become Premiers and consistently play finals
I think he is our best chance of making changes at all levels of the club (including Evans), coaching staff and list management to turn us into a dynasty and a winning club
It will be the test of his life and he will feel more pressure than anyone to ensure his legacy is not damaged by not being able to take the club all the way
I do think he underestimated what it would take OR overestimated his ability to effect change and now knows its going to be a much bigger job than he perhaps realised
Its clearly not just game plan or list management in isolation its an entire cultural shift to a winning and resilient club
It will be very telling to see what changes are made to his assistants staff and the players he delists and trades in to see how serious he is and how ruthless he is about making step changes for a new season that actually produces a different result

Last edited:
Hardwick made it happen at Richmond taking a losing team to a dominant dynasty - it might have been the list and it might have been the management at Richmond (Brendan Gale) and it might have been his team of assistants or ALL of the above more than likely
So we know he can do it and knows what it takes so we rely on him now to dig down into his experience and instincts to figure out what our list, our club and his coaching team needs to change to become Premiersand consistently play finals
I think he is our best chance of making changes at all levels of the club (including Evans), coaching staff and list management to turn us into a dynasty and a winning club
It will be the test of his life and he will feel more pressure than anyone to ensure his legacy is not damaged by not being able to take the club all the way
I do think he underestimated what it would take OR overestimated his ability to effect change and now knows its going to be a much bigger job than he perhaps realised
Its clearly not just game plan or list management in isolation its an entire cultural shift to a winning and resilient club
It will be very telling to see what changes are made to his assistants staff and the players he delists and trades in to see how serious he is and how ruthless he is about making step changes for a new season that actually produces a different result
One post is enough 😂

It should be fun the off-season changes and next season.

It was good to listen to a reasonable perspective by Hodge yesterday, I believe on Crunch Time. Worth listening to.

On separate note, just imagine melts here if Suns would be down by 71 points with 12 min to go in 2nd quarter and no score like Swans yesterday. That was against Port we beat at home. We are closer than people believe. Just convert opportunities to AFL average and we would look much better.

Last edited:
I agree that we are very close. Our list isn't super young but our best 22 is. We need to add 2 or 3 experienced players to that best 22 and not have the likes of swallow, fiorini,Sexton being those experienced players, they aren't good enough. If we were to add rioli and dusty if the rumours are true it is an instant lift.
Dusty King read
Ainsworth walter Humphrey
Weller Anderson clohesy
Rioli Andrew Powell
Ballard Collins uwland

Witts/Moyle Rowell miller
Flanders rosas Graham Davies Lombard

It's a strong line-up with Jeffery, Rogers, luko(trade?) Still on the edges.

One post is enough 😂

It should be fun the off-season changes and next season.

It was good to listen to a reasonable perspective by Hodge yesterday, I believe on Crunch Time. Worth listening to.

On separate note, just imagine melts here if Suns would be down by 71 points with 12 min to go in 2nd quarter and no score like Swans yesterday. That was against Port we beat at home. We are closer than people believe. Just convert opportunities to AFL average and we would look much better.
Should have beaten St Kilda - We were genuinely robbed of that win

Should have beaten North - Losing Touk and Sam Day (who was playing like prime Carey that day) took the wind out of our sails and Ainsworth still had a shot at the end to win the game.

Should have beaten the Eagles.

Flip those results and we're =6th. We need to pay up to get 1 or 2 guys who can come in and be an immediate upgrade in their positions. We don't need to draft anymore kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back