Remove this Banner Ad

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
"If i was unemployed like i am not, i'd be putting my hand up BIG TIME to be involved in such an exciting venture"

Alister Clarkson on coaching the new tassie team

Needs an experienced coach, as well as someone good to promote the club :)

I remember when Barrassi went to Sydney, he was a fantastic advocate for the club.

Its just that he was an old fashioned coach who had no idea how much the game had changed in the years since he use to scream at players. Hence they had good assistant coaches & then Rodney Eade took the job.

I'd say the process would be to start a VFL team 2 years prior to an AFL team playing.

They'd maybe then start the process of looking for the right person to get the ball rolling when the main team starts. It may be the VFL coach stepping up, or a new senior coach coming & the VFL coach becoming an assistant to the AFL coach.

Maybe, ;)

Would the ideal SC/AC nowadays be Jade Rawlings and Jeromey Webberley?

Or Webberley and M. Weller?

Jade Rawlings has experience, & recent SANFL sucess.

You need to get the best person you can, whether they be from Darwin or Dover, Broome or Bushy Park. ;)
Nothing against Rawlings, surely someone better out there that could do it :)

My choice would be:
Head Coach: Blake Caracella
Backline: Ben Rutten
Midfield: Lenny Hayes
Forwards: Jade Rawlings
Senior Assistant: Mark Choco Williams or Brendan McCartney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My choice would be:
Head Coach: Blake Caracella
Backline: Ben Rutten
Midfield: Lenny Hayes
Forwards: Jade Rawlings
Senior Assistant: Mark Choco Williams or Brendan McCartney.
Nice coaching line up that’s for sure. Caracalla is well overdue for a senior gig and deserves it.

Nice coaching line up that’s for sure. Caracalla is well overdue for a senior gig and deserves it.

The issue is not just football. Having potentially a brand new football club would bring added pressures on any coach, let alone a totally new head coach.

Caracella may be an excellent appointment. I'd think an older head might be the way to start it off though.

Whats Rodney Eade doing???? ;)

I'm open to the idea being floated of Nathan Buckley, great IP, a supposedly great developer of young talent and will bring a lot of credibility to the role. I'm also open to a more left field experienced coach who has been through the wringer of establishing a new club from the ground up, being Leon Cameron. Whoever it is they need to first and foremost be a development coach.

So unless Clarko gets sacked or retires from his current contract with North, it looks like he won't be available for Tassie's inaugural 2027 AFL season because he signed a five-year contract with the Roos that runs to the end of 2027. Bit of a shame considering Clarkson seemed so keen on this venture but you can't really dwell on something that's out of your control. Chris Fagan is the only current AFL coach from the Apple Isle but he'll be turning 66 in 2027 which is probably too old if we're being realistic. I think it's crucially important the AFL gets a well established and respected coach to be Tasmania's first because I firmly believe that's something GWS got right with Sheedy and Gold Coast got wrong with McKenna. So who will it be? AFL 360 seemed to put forward the idea of Chris Scott tonight but I have absolutely no idea if he's interested.

Thoughts?

So unless Clarko gets sacked or retires from his current contract with North, it looks like he won't be available for Tassie's inaugural 2027 AFL season because he signed a five-year contract with the Roos that runs to the end of 2027. Bit of a shame considering Clarkson seemed so keen on this venture but you can't really dwell on something that's out of your control. Chris Fagan is the only current AFL coach from the Apple Isle but he'll be turning 66 in 2027 which is probably too old if we're being realistic. I think it's crucially important the AFL gets a well established and respected coach to be Tasmania's first because I firmly believe that's something GWS got right with Sheedy and Gold Coast got wrong with McKenna. So who will it be? AFL 360 seemed to put forward the idea of Chris Scott tonight but I have absolutely no idea if he's interested.

Thoughts?
I would love Chris Scott. Calm headed and seems very smart. An experienced coach would be the way to go.

Ryan O'Keefe is a coaching mastermind, he is yet to take on a senior position at AFL level but he has coached multiple times at the TAC Cup level and now heads up Coaching Development and Education at AFL NSW/ACT. I wonder if the AFL will start looking at candidates like him. Even his brother Daniel is another good coaching mind untried at AFL level.

Or, do they go with a proven AFL coach? If so, who? Would need to be reasonably young (younger than 55 now) Justin Leppitsch? Brendan Bolton? One of the Scott brothers?

I'm so excited to chat about this for the coming years.

Even his brother Daniel is another good coaching mind untried at AFL level.

Not sure if serious or humour but no relation between the 2.

Both might've selected by Sydney in 1999 and 2006 respectively but not brothers.

Ryan: Calder Cannons.
Daniel: Geelong Falcons.

Not sure if serious or humour but no relation between the 2.

Both might've selected by Sydney in 1999 and 2006 respectively but not brothers.

Ryan: Calder Cannons.
Daniel: Geelong Falcons.
They are related, I can’t recall if they are brothers or if they are cousins but my partners mum is first cousins with the both of them. Just can’t remember if they are brothers or cousins.

Nice try though mate! Almost got me big fella!

Outsider Joel Selwood, moves back in the AFL system over the next 12 months, becomes an assistant, slides into coaching them in the VFL in 2026, then brings them into the AFL in 2027.

Incredible leader, so he could set up a culture & well respected within the AFL community. The momentum he could bring would be fantastic. Then get him older statesman assistants (Chocco, Hardwick (probably not at Richmond then)

You would have to throw everything at Damien Hardwick now, Jack Riewoldt would talk him around. With a good break between now and 2028 he would be terrific. Very good with young blokes and would probably draw some decent players with him.

They are related, I can’t recall if they are brothers or if they are cousins but my partners mum is first cousins with the both of them. Just can’t remember if they are brothers or cousins.

Nice try though mate! Almost got me big fella!
They're cousins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back