Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

When did I get my own crew?

How often do we meet? Do we have colours? A secret handshake?
Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

I’m not really a fan of an interim coach designed to hand over to our next flag winning coach and I doubt someone like Hinkley would either. We would want to win a flag with Harley in the team so I want a coach that will grow with the squad, make it his own and challenge.

I haven’t been able to find the stats but has there ever been a coach who has coached as long as Ken that’s gone on to win a flag? If not, move on. We plan to win flags, not to achieve mid-table mediocrity. Otherwise we’d just poach Ross the Boss.

Gut feeling is that Jaimie Graham will not be able to command the respect that West Coast needs in order to make the hard decisions needed to become a force in 3-5 years time.

He has relationships with playing and non-playing staff at the club that could skew decision-making.

Sure, he’s a nice guy and communicates well…but he doesn’t appear to have the mettle to do what needs to be done re: immediately letting go of ALL key underperforming on and off field personnel and he lacks the AFL-wide experience and charisma needed to attract the highest quality on and off-field replacements.

We need a big name coach.

Big. Coast. Energy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Liked Schofield’s post game press conference. Seemed to have a bit of a fire in the belly and sounds like he challenged the players to respond after a poor game against St Kilda

Didn’t get the win but it was a more competitive effort for a half at least

He’s still in the mix as a candidate

Fully on the Jarrod Schofield train. Been nothing but impressed. Clear straight forward messaging. Calls it how he sees it. I think he can coach.
Liked Schofield’s post game press conference. Seemed to have a bit of a fire in the belly and sounds like he challenged the players to respond after a poor game against St Kilda

Didn’t get the win but it was a more competitive effort for a half at least

He’s still in the mix as a candidate
I came here to say this, he has a bit of campaigner in him, i liked his post game confrence

Where the wce kern haters now? Not a peep.

While I'm not saying we should hire him.

But
Kern needs to be considered or sack the board. Anyone that gets unreasonable angry at ken needs to go and touch grass.

Ken Hinkley is the best coach that drives their squad with emotion of all time (or motivational coach). Collingwood coach is the same while he's got a flag he still hasn't proven his worth for 12 years and we will see his lowest ladder position compared to kern
I agree wholeheartedly.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Edit* 19 points half time v stk sorry

Anyway... Middle of the 2nd qtr v stk we had a good patch but kicked 1.4 then stK kicked a couple just before half time.

You kick 4.1 take a lead into half time then it's a diff vibe

Goal kicking practice!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

+1 for Hansen after that little bit with Cleary, already got the head coach speak down with the perfect forward defence blocking out all the baited questions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cards on the table: I hope we pick up someone who's had the head position elsewhere over an untried assistant. Even if that someone is Bucks or Kern.

We need someone to come in, tell us we're a rabble, and establish the level of professionalism expected of an AFL club. Someone who can take a Darling or a Petch or a Rotham aside and tell em "thanks, but you're done mate. I dont care if you get stroppy about it". Im not 100% sure an ex-assistant is going to be able to do that in his first gig.

We were competitive for a half Stk too

only 17 points down at half time, that's reasonably competitive.

It's the 2nd halves killing us

Hopefully a big pre season and better luck with injuries

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still believe fitness is an issue, the standards have dropped so far that what we believe is fit is not fit enough to run out games for 4 quarters. Throw on top of that giving total effort takes a toll also.
Whoever is the new coach I am sure will be addressing these issues

Cards on the table: I hope we pick up someone who's had the head position elsewhere over an untried assistant. Even if that someone is Bucks or Kern.

We need someone to come in, tell us we're a rabble, and establish the level of professionalism expected of an AFL club. Someone who can take a Darling or a Petch or a Rotham aside and tell em "thanks, but you're done mate. I dont care if you get stroppy about it". Im not 100% sure an ex-assistant is going to be able to do that in his first gig.

Schofield has coached his own club before, making tough decisions won’t be an issue. He has shown already he can do that.
I would like Schofield but if the club thinks someone is better then that’s ok to.

I liked Schofield from his work at Subi, very happy that he is in the mix but trust we will have a rigorous process.
As an aside I think we are fitter but still not industry leaders. this is to be expected as it takes more than one pre season to lift the standard significantly. We now have a good base to build from and some emerging players to benefit from it.

Last edited:
Cant imagine Jarrad ultimately getting the gig if we don’t grab another win. Host the sleepover Suns this week now with less to play for, then the Roos away in a spoon-related cup. Don’t deserve to be favourite in either but lose both of those and it’s 11 straight with Carlton-Geelong-postseason. If you can’t win in the next fortnight then you need not apply, as harsh and simplistic as that might come across. After a long term coach a winless caretaker won’t cut it. Despite his likeable attitude and mandate to get some games into the list that won’t be enough.

That said, as someone excited for all the nonVics near the top of the ladder, if we manage to grinch the Blues or Cats and muck their top 4 qualification then that’s more important to me than whoever coached us in 2025. If we can miraculously assist the Swans/Lions/Docks/Giants, even the Power/Bulldogs/Hawks, then I’m all for it!

Last edited:
This one will get the West a few clicks.
Surprised it took them so long to publish something like this.

Full article archived at https://archive.is/JL5Fb

'Paul Hasleby: Why West Coast chief executive Don Pyke is the best candidate to coach the Eagles'

'Sun, 28 July 2024 4:00AM
Should West Coast be looking for a new coach? Or should they be looking for a new chief executive officer?
Before you panic, I’m not suggesting the Eagles fire Don Pyke after less than year in the role.
What I am wondering though does Pyke’s skillset better serve the club right now as a coach rather than CEO.
If Pyke didn’t take on the role to replace Trevor Nisbett about 12 months ago, would he be the front runner to replace Adam Simpson?
I’d say yes. Pyke could be the exact kind of leader the Eagles need and his record stack up with the best of the best
....'

I liked Schofield from his work at Subi, very happy that he is in the mix but trust we will have a rigorous process.
As an aside I thing we are fitter but still not industry leaders. this is to be expected as it takes more than one pre season to lift the standard significantly. We now have a good base to build from and some emerging players to benefit from it.

Darren Burgess seems to be the gold standard when it comes to S&C within the AFL, particularly when it comes to building sides fitness

I recall him saying, or it being written about him, that the biggest gains come in his second preseason in charge

Matt Inness definitely changed our program last year with some encouraging results. Hopefully we can see even more improvement with his second full preseason in control

After the presser I'm entirely comfortable with Schofield taking over, and will probably be disappointed if he doesn't get the nod. If the team plays out the season with the kind of spirit they showed last night then wins will come. He's trying players in new roles and hopefully continues to get the balance right. Elevate Schofield and with Knights rumoured to leave means bringing in a new midfield and forwards coaches. Maybe get a John Worsfold in as director of coaching. Show some intent to move past Cripps and Darling and get in some established 20 somethings and decent draft picks its enough for me.

Just watched the presser, pretty happy with that. Love the bit about Harley. Sounds very keen on Trew.

Anyone else feel like Schoey isn't the type of coach you want to piss off?

He was always a bit of an angry ranga when he played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back