GinTonic

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
G'day baggers

Growing up I was always led to believe that the club song was "they like to send us" (even though to me it sounded like "up"), I even remember the lyrics on the Carlton FC website at the time showing "us".

However, while I was at the game yesterday, during the club song, lyrics were being played on the screens in tandem so people could sing along, the lyrics used 'up'. This surprised me, has the club now officially adopted 'up'? I couldn't find the official lyrics on the club site.

Also, what a win, the crowd and atmosphere was incredible.

Edit: Example of last night.
Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 9.03.30 am.png

Edit again: found this with "us", so which one are we going with?
Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.51.39 pm.png

Last edited:

Define always. Was definitely up in the glory years of the 70s.
In my time.

But in reality it was up at one time and there has been confusion since the 1930's.
Us to Me is far better both lyrically and as an inclusive word of the entire club and supporters

The lyrics had a few changes along the way such as from they will know when they've been playing with
becoming they will know that they've been playing against.

In my time.

But in reality it was up at one time and there has been confusion since the 1930's.
Us to Me is far better both lyrically and as an inclusive word of the entire club and supporters

The lyrics had a few changes along the way such as from they will know when they've been playing with
becoming they will know that they've been playing against.

Us doesn't make sense though? Why are they (the opposition) sending us champions? They are sending them UP to face our guys.

Us doesn't make sense though? Why are they (the opposition) sending us champions? They are sending them UP to face our guys.
Vey good point. I always assumed it means where ever our players are sent from. Didnt think it refers to the oppo.
Not that I have ever given it a great deal of thought.

Vey good point. I always assumed it means where ever our players are sent from. Didnt think it refers to the oppo.
Not that I have ever given it a great deal of thought.

Which is exactly why I think 'us' is a poor choice, makes the line weirdly ambiguous despite the rest of the song clearly delineating 'we' for Carlton and 'they' for oppo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.51.39 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.51.39 pm.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 9.03.30 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 9.03.30 am.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 55
here it is us

and here it is also written as us, yet they sing up

my opinion is that the recording sang it wrong and that has stuck

The text says us but the song says UP.

Say that again ;)
Its a thing I have often pondered..as a lad I learnt us.....but on that definitive recording they clearly sing up, and more than likely a generation or two have learnt it from that grand rendition....its a moot point perhaps but this thread shows I am not the only one confused

here it is us

and here it is also written as us, yet they sing up

my opinion is that the recording sang it wrong and that has stuck

Up is really the most logical and apt, I don't think it's fair to say the recording got it wrong 😅.

Us is coming from a place of poor comprehension IMO.

I does make sense if you add a single word, "at". So, "they like to send at us", but it would break the rhythm. "send up" is the one that doesn't actually make sense, up where?

This sort of lyrical gymnastics is fairly common when you want to get a rhythm and rhyme.

Ed: "the" not "they"

I does make sense if you add a single word, "at". So, "they like to send at us", but it would break the rhythm. "send up" is the one that doesn't actually make sense, up where?

This sort of lyrical gymnastics is fairly common when you want to get a rhythm and rhyme.

Ed: "the" not "they"

Think of it as a gladiatorial battle. You would send up your champions against an opposing team. Line em up and we will knock em down kinda schtick.

Us and Up dont even rhyme anyway.

We're trying to second guess something that was first written/sung 100 years ago. Even the Carlton historians don't have the original, nor know for sure who wrote it. Even within the club, both versions are used.

Expressions that may have been in common use then, may not make sense now.

Sing whatever version you like, just hope we get to hear it a lot this year!

Think of it as a gladiatorial battle. You would send up your champions against an opposing team. Line em up and we will knock em down kinda schtick.

Us and Up dont even rhyme anyway.
Dude, they rhyme well enough.

I've always thought it was "us" and I've been singing it for over 50 years. At no time did I think it didn't make sense, because of the reason I'm suggesting. Personally, I prefer the more nuanced and subtle use of "us".

But, there's obviously confusion and it has changed over different generations. So it will remain as a question to which there is no longer one "right" answer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club song: send us or send up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back