Chris Scott Wants A Mid-Season Shutdown Implemented ............. What Bloody Next ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone having their bye at the exact same time can only bring more fairness to the current FIXture, and pissing off that failed Round 0 nonsense that led to some teams having two in-season byes before others even had their first too. The fact the media are treating it like a radical idea is hilarious.

Put the reserves on TV for a week rather than staggering the bye rounds over a month, it's such a logical move which is why it's bamboozling so many I assume.

'Radical' plan - what a laugh.

Everyone having their bye at the exact same time can only bring more fairness to the current FIXture, and pissing off that failed Round 0 nonsense that led to some teams having two in-season byes before others even had their first too. The fact the media are treating it like a radical idea is hilarious.

Put the reserves on TV for a week rather than staggering the bye rounds over a month, it's such a logical move which is why it's bamboozling so many I assume.

'Radical' plan - what a laugh.

I agree with you and Chris Scott. Fine if teams want the bye. So let's have the bye for all teams at the same time. Teams having the bye at different times of the Home & Away season has never made sense to me.

Just seems like commonsense in my opinion to have the bye for all teams at the same time.

This used to happen. Then the media and fans called for some football every week over the season, and the split rounds were born.

The people with the real issues with it will be those in the media who will have to make up off field stories or push a coach under pressure story to remain relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the Bundesliga season like 9 months? Germany in winter is also a bit colder than here.

I think it might be simpler to just go back to the usual 1 week bye we used to have for all teams. All these random byes for different teams are hard to keep track of. But I mostly just want a rolling fixture where each team plays every team before they start repeating. Alternating between home and away. Get rid of the whole weighting system based on ladder position. Aka the most obvious, logical way of doing it. If they want Thursday night games just have them all season too.

Anything is better than the travesty that is this year. Teams have had 2 byes before my team even gets a bye. Ridiculous.

Worst AFL season in recent memory.

They should shut down the comittee in charge of changing the rules too.
Careful. You'll have Swans fans now telling you the week off before your season started is somehow a 'bye'.

Every team should have a bye at the same time - the rolling byes have been annoying to keep up with.
The AFL head honchos seem to be trying to find anything to make the game/fixture 'different' and/or 'exciting'

Maybe we should do away with the head honchos for a while? (Same with the umpires but that's another story)

Just have the split round. Teams that had a bye play each other the next week so you don't have the fresh team against a group that played 6 days ago

It's really not that hard to schedule

The AFL can very easily have a balanced draw. They dont want a balanced draw. They want to manipulate the draw for ratings and to protect the powerful clubs.

The other issue is some clubs are allowed to choose their opponents and when they play them. Its insane.

Everyone has the bye after the King's birthday Monday game. Start it up again Wed the following week. Have the MSD or some other clown show to keep the simpletons happy over the weekend.

Careful. You'll have Swans fans now telling you the week off before your season started is somehow a 'bye'.
Team X vs Team Y in round 13.

Team X played 5 games, bye, 6 games, bye in the lead up.
Team Y played 12 games straight in the lead up.

Calling that a farce is underselling it.

Every team has the bye on the same weekend and throw the under 18 national comp on TV (like a carnival). It wont be the same numbers but I reckon quite a few would watch, might also get more interest from the casual fans on draft night if they can see what the next crops of future young stars can show.

I'd definitely get into it.

LordLucifer do you not think this is a reasonable proposal?

Based on the way the article is written ..... "NO".

If what Scott is alluding to is just one bye for everyone in the middle of the season then okay but I feel he is angling for a bigger block of holidays like the German model.

One of the big reasons people want holidays, byes, rub & tug weekends, fancy dress events, themed rounds and all of the rest of the palava that has crept into the game is because the morons running the game keep extending the season by starting it earlier & earlier.

Run the season from the first weekend in April to the last weekend in September, clubs will just need to manage their players better, thats all.

Trim it back to a straight 22-round season with no byes including the one before the finals, this competition is a marathon, not a sprint. Bugger off the lopsided byes shown this year plus that ludicrous "opening round idea".

Once again, making another change to address a problem created by a previous change shows that the previous alterations were crap and should never have been implemented in the first place.

It's more than overdue for the nimrods in charge (I'm referring to you Laura Kane) to strip everything back & restructure it correctly (i.e. professionally, transparently & equitable to all) and then leave things the **** alone !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott Wants A Mid-Season Shutdown Implemented ............. What Bloody Next ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back