Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting fact that Tom Hawkins hasn't kicked a goal for the last 3 weeks, but Scott utilises him in a different gameplan to draw the key defender out of possie. Cats also have a good small forward fleet whereas we have scubbers. (Rioli only).

I don't particularly like Chris Scott but it's pretty clear he's a hecking genius coach who actively tries to improve the gameplan based on the players he has, and their strengths

Dixon is just looking bad out there.

He can still take a contested mark but not like he use to but he is getting run off constantly.
This is the big problem. His contested marking was always his weapon, but his ability to chase and tackle that really helped him have an impact across 2017-2020 when his marking game was off, conditions didn't suit etc.

There's been about a dozen occasions so far this year where his direct opponent has peeled off, gathered a loose ball and trotted off up the ground leaving small Dix in their dust.

This is the big problem. His contested marking was always his weapon, but his ability to chase and tackle that really helped him have an impact across 2017-2020 when his marking game was off, conditions didn't suit etc.

There's been about a dozen occasions so far this year where his direct opponent has peeled off, gathered a loose ball and trotted off up the ground leaving small Dix in their dust.
Definitely and he just winces and looks injured and falls down in contests when he never did those things. He's lost it and hanging on for dear life and it's real ugly and really selfish.

He also gave away a fair few free kicks against the Crows as well.

Dixon is just looking bad out there.

He can still take a contested mark but not like he use to but he is getting run off constantly.
Considering how highly we apparently rate defensive acts we sure put up with a huge lack of such from Dixon. He just sulks around while they run off with the ball and link up.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely and he just winces and looks injured and falls down in contests when he never did those things. He's lost it and hanging on for dear life and it's real ugly and really selfish.

He also gave away a fair few free kicks against the Crows as well.

He is a 33yo who has been told to to slam his body against multiple opposition KPDs at the centre of an idiotic gameplan pretty much since he arrived at Port. He plays ruck for all our forward stoppages, and has been our 2nd ruck for 4 of the last 5 games blunting his abilities to be an even more effective forward. On top of which no preseason. Yet you expect he should be chasing down opposition defenders and I think he can be forgiven the occasional wince after a contest

He is our mot accurate KPF goalkicker, averaging 19goals/game and 5 marks He has the best key defender glued to him, plus at least one other for most contests. He still rarely gets outmarked and brings the ball down front and centre.

Ugly is watching a player in his prime for the last TWO games also let players run off him.Play from behind as a leading forward. Whose measure of success in a one on one marking dual is getting a hand to the ball. Ugly is watching the selfish Dixon take more marks (7) than the other two KPFs combined, take double the contested marks with the usual amount of attention. He gave away 3 frees against the crows, and averages 1 per game this year. Probably because of his desire to take even more marks than the rest of our tall forward line.

If he is so selfish and that is so ugly to watch what exactly do you suggest we do? Should we drop one our most threatening forwards so we can replace him with who exactly? So we can watch them spud it up even worse in front of goal?

No doubt this is Dixon's last season. His aging body is struggling with the best KPD's in terms of mobility and his second efforts are waning. Not helped by his lack of a preseason. Many of the observations about Dixon's waning athletic abilities on here are valid. Fair enough.

Perhaps consider dropping the hypercritical Dixon comments, at least until you can admit that Marshall's efforts in the last TWO games are not the result of bad coaching and have been at least as ugly and selfish.

Considering how highly we apparently rate defensive acts we sure put up with a huge lack of such from Dixon. He just sulks around while they run off with the ball and link up.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering he has the lowest fitness level of all our KPFs, he has more tackles inside 50 than Finlayson, more pressure acts than Marshall FFS and more spoils and contested possessions than all our KPFs. So what are you actually expecting?
A bizarre thought. Maybe winning more contested possessions than Mitch and Marshall combined might actually be at least as useful to the team as trying to chase them down having lost the contest?

Last edited:
Strange world.

I was a huge Dixon critic when everyone else was in love, 2016 - 2020.

Now I think I've become one of his biggest defenders 2021 - present.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Interesting fact that Tom Hawkins hasn't kicked a goal for the last 3 weeks, but Scott utilises him in a different gameplan to draw the key defender out of possie. Cats also have a good small forward fleet whereas we have scubbers. (Rioli only).
Geelong also Jeremy Cameron, who is pretty much the form, if not equal form, KPF in the game. They can afford to sacrifice the aging Hawkins. We sacrifice Dixon's game, then we are not going to get others step up for a net positive return. Like when we used to sacrifice Tredrea's game for the mosquito fleet 2007 - 2008, when we would would have been better off just kicking it to him, as 2009 showed.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

He cant move. Unless the ball is kicked right to his advantage he will get out marked or give away free’s. When he plays its too our detriment and the players have the ‘kick it on his head’ mantra. He needs to be dropped and the the other forwards need space to work into leads. Collingwood, Melbourne and other top teams dont even have a big key forward. The modern game has changed and we could easily play with Georgiades, Marshall and Finlayson/Lord.

He is a 33yo who has been told to to slam his body against multiple opposition KPDs at the centre of an idiotic gameplan pretty much since he arrived at Port. He plays ruck for all our forward stoppages, and has been our 2nd ruck for 4 of the last 5 games blunting his abilities to be an even more effective forward. On top of which no preseason. Yet you expect he should be chasing down opposition defenders and I think he can be forgiven the occasional wince after a contest

He is our mot accurate KPF goalkicker, averaging 19goals/game and 5 marks He has the best key defender glued to him, plus at least one other for most contests. He still rarely gets outmarked and brings the ball down front and centre.

Ugly is watching a player in his prime for the last TWO games also let players run off him.Play from behind as a leading forward. Whose measure of success in a one on one marking dual is getting a hand to the ball. Ugly is watching the selfish Dixon take more marks (7) than the other two KPFs combined, take double the contested marks with the usual amount of attention. He gave away 3 frees against the crows, and averages 1 per game this year. Probably because of his desire to take even more marks than the rest of our tall forward line.

If he is so selfish and that is so ugly to watch what exactly do you suggest we do? Should we drop one our most threatening forwards so we can replace him with who exactly? So we can watch them spud it up even worse in front of goal?

No doubt this is Dixon's last season. His aging body is struggling with the best KPD's in terms of mobility and his second efforts are waning. Not helped by his lack of a preseason. Many of the observations about Dixon's waning athletic abilities on here are valid. Fair enough.

Perhaps consider dropping the hypercritical Dixon comments, at least until you can admit that Marshall's efforts in the last TWO games are not the result of bad coaching and have been at least as ugly and selfish.

Your really do have a bee in the bonnet for me, don't you?

I've always been one of Charlie's biggest defenders as he is much maligned most of which is from his own doing.

I was actually one of the first people to say that Charlie's career has been ruined by Kenny's forward gameplan and I'm of the opinion that if he was a very good kick for goal that he might have retire into the AFL Hall of Fame because he would've won us a couple of flags. He was a very good forward in a bad gameplan and an excellent 2nd ruck who brings energy and verve when needed. I think the 2nd ruck is chronically overlooked in the Dixon story.

But he's cooked.

The reason he had no preseason is the reason everyone doesn't do a preseason and that's because he's injured because of all the miles on the tyres.

He is now bad with his direct opposition running off him and this actually happened at the start of the game not towards the end of the game when you get tired.

My concerns with Charlie wincing and falling over and looking in pain is not a criticism as such. Its just now really obvious that he is struggling with injures, health, old age, etc. He has always been a strong, virile player and had an air of invincibility about him but he now looks like a mortal man so to speak. There is a bit of concern for his body and well-being with that comment.

When I'm talking about the selfishness, I don't know whether you are old enough but with the Port of old I don't remember players staying way past their used by date. Like Lycett and Jonas last year, players just want to linger around to the detriment of the team. I am not used to that kind of selfishness in a Port Adelaide player. You were given the tap on the shoulder and you moved on. I'm sure many of the older posters will generally agree with that. Dixon playing another year is selfish but this type of behaviour is rife at the club and a part of the nature of Hinkley's tenure.

Against the Crows, our tall forwards were really, really bad and one of the main reasons for the loss. After I think it was Marshall goaled right at the end of the first quarter, the team and the tall forwards didn't score a goal for the rest of the game, that is, for three quarters of footy. Horne-Francis has put in the square and kicked a couple of goals but after that, no one did not much.

And thank you for the sage advice to stop being hypercritical of Charlie. The good news is I don't have to follow it because I'm not hypercritical, just critical. I don't have any bias or prejudice towards players. I just tell it how I see it. I don't hate Charlie and love Marshall. If a player plays well, I praise them even if no one else is. I went on the Lachie Jones thread to praise him because I thought he had an outstanding game against the Crows. I praised Charlie's game against the Saints primarily because he kicked straight. I'm here to criticise Charlie because he didn't play well. I'm here to criticise Marshall because he's been awful.

To get a bit philosophical, you have to understand something Powerage, the only thing that really gets on the goat of people, that drives people up the wall, that gets them to the point where they demand you stop talking, writing, typing, that moves people to hatred and vitriol against you, is the truth. People prefer the fantasies of their own mind to the reality of the situation and when you destroy their fantasies, they are not happy, especially the happy clappers.

This is one reason why Charlie is disliked by the fanbase. He came out and had a few words at some of the fans and supporters and called them White Noise. The White Noise was just telling the truth. The White Noise pretty much was the truth. Did he address all of the points the White Noise claimed? No. Why? Because it is the truth. He couldn't do it. The only recourse is playing the man and not the ball. That is Rhetoric 101.

And that's the issue with the club at large. No one is willing to have a truthful conversation about the problems that we have. Back in the day it was very normal but we are run by Frauds. I hope Tredrea is doing what he needs to do.

Winners focus on winning.
Losers focus on winners.
Long time losers focus on attacking criticism.

And don't get me started on the JedHeads? :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon is our best key forward by so far it isn't funny. And he's not even that good anymore.

I hate how truth this is.

The reality is Marshall & MG would be excellent at a good club like Geelong & they'd cut Dixon.

MG would probably be on his way to being a good player at Geelong.

Marshall wouldn't be good anywhere because he doesn't have the competitive instinct required to be a top level professional sportsman.

Dixon's goal tallies considering his size & his dominance in the game plan as the giant beacon are utterly pathetic to be honest. He's like the Aldi version of Tom Hawkins.

Josh Jenkins played like a 6'6 small forward but it is kinda hilarious he has better goal tallies through his career than Dixon.. what is the fuss over Chuck? lol he'll barely be an afterthought in our rich history.

Josh Jenkins played like a 6'6 small forward but it is kinda hilarious he has better goal tallies through his career than Dixon.. what is the fuss over Chuck? lol he'll barely be an afterthought in our rich history.

Ranks top 3 among key forwards in our rich AFL history with only our GOAT clearly ahead of him.

Jed had more of the ball than Todd in the Showdown.

Hot Jeddy 🔥

Am I right Marshall fans?
More disposals but 120m less metres gained (total of 92m). One tackle despite coming on fresh after the other players were fatigued. Zero goals. Again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back