Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to Bevo’s presser, the group went for a nice swim in the beach at Mentone or somewhere bayside near where he lives.
He might have even got the guitar out and played a few tunes for the lads.
The Office GIF

"Season's dead"
"Season's not dead!"

There’s a lot wrong with that selection actually:

Keath over Busslinger
Sanders not into the side as an inside mid with no Libba
Richards still in the midfield
Buku dropped over JOD
Clarke dropped after one nervous game
Duryea, Bramble & JJ all getting free passs

JOD is light years ahead of Buku and has a lot of upside. Need to keep him in. Others I agree

Why would you think Bevo would mix it up and play guys out of their best position ?

Good to see Cleary has been given another chance
Look either we are playing Cleary as sub which is weird given he isn't an impact per possession player but a guy who organises and covers other defenders or we are playing an extra defender from what we had last week so someone has to move either into the forward line which is possible with weightman out just as a pressure forward given how easily it was walked out last week or we are playing one on the wings

Good changes imo.

Someone said Buss was with the rehab group so maybe he was a risky chance to debut him if he came up sore.

More defenders sounds logical seeing as dogs defensive pressure is so poor. I expect Macrae is sub because he doesn't look fit. I think Gallagher is being retained because he's doing just enough to stay in and and the more games he plays the better for him.

I honestly can't remember a worst 1st game from a player then what Clarke had. Callum Porter maybe, but I think Clarke was even worse then that. You can't keep a player in after a performance like that 1st gamer or not, you have to have some standards.

Look either we are playing Cleary as sub which is weird given he isn't an impact per possession player but a guy who organises and covers other defenders or we are playing an extra defender from what we had last week so someone has to move either into the forward line which is possible with weightman out just as a pressure forward given how easily it was walked out last week or we are playing one on the wings
We don't usually prescribe to the idea of having an impact player as the sub.

I reckon Keath has been very good in the twos so I don’t have a problem with that. He is also good at organising the backline as a whole generally.

Clarke has had a look at the senior game and now knows what is needed. Challenge is now for him to respond. If he does respond in the correct way it will be of immense long term benefit.

Sanders still looked lead footed in the ressies imho. Needs more fitness and I expect his first preseason has taken its toll to some degree. Rather him play full games as a mid in twos than sub in ones.

Hope Cleary gets a decent run.

I would not be surprised to see Macrae get Libbas minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good changes imo.

Someone said Buss was with the rehab group so maybe he was a risky chance to debut him if he came up sore.

More defenders sounds logical seeing as dogs defensive pressure is so poor. I expect Macrae is sub because he doesn't look fit. I think Gallagher is being retained because he's doing just enough to stay in and and the more games he plays the better for him.

Will be interesting to see if Buss plays VFL then.

When is the last time a top 10 pick
didn’t play a senior game and got traded ?

Khamis and Clarke had to go.

Khamis has been atrocious the last two weeks and just isn't up to the role of playing as a KPD. I dont care whether it was Keith of Busslinger who replaced him this week just as long as it was somebody. He might have a future as a 3rd tall, but I doubt it.

As for Clarke. His promotion was more an indication of how poor our small forward stocks are when two of our first choice small forwards weren't available than Clarkes knocking the door down. He's had a taste, but needs to work on his game a lot more before being considered again. With Wests return he was always going to go out. We're carrying enough guys who are surviving on reputation. Clarke was never going to be afforded the same.

I was hoping that this would be the week where we replaced Duryea with Cleary so as to give us a better look at whether he's worth persisting with. However, that'd mean we were turning our eye towards the future. Which runs a bit counter to the inclusion of Keith. Something Im ok with. However, his inclusion makes JO'D surplus to requirements.

Other things Im ok with. The continuation with starting Richards in the middle. Even if the results haven't really set the game on fire.

Naming Hallelujah Joel! on the wing. I just hope that it's a success so we can see the end of the revolving door of cast offs that we have been rolling through there. I have issues with Williams playing there but he's the best of a pretty ordinary lot that we've had playing the role.

Things I dont like so much. Naming two talls on the bench. and playing Harmes as a forward. If he isn't going to be played as a run with mid. Then what's the point in bringing him into the club?

I'd prefer to play Bedendo or bring Sanders back into the side at the expense of JOD or just to shuffle the side to suit.

Guys who should consider themselves luck. VDM. JJ and Bramble. However the latter two were probably saved by the naming of Hallelujah Joel! on the wing. The former clearly by an act of god.

Last edited:
I reckon Keath has been very good in the twos so I don’t have a problem with that. He is also good at organising the backline as a whole generally.

Clarke has had a look at the senior game and now knows what is needed. Challenge is now for him to respond. If he does respond in the correct way it will be of immense long term benefit.

Sanders still looked lead footed in the ressies imho. Needs more fitness and I expect his first preseason has taken its toll to some degree. Rather him play full games as a mid in twos than sub in ones.

Hope Cleary gets a decent run.

I would not be surprised to see Macrae get Libbas minutes.

Keath struggles with the pace of AFL vs VFL in my opinion
Hope I’m wrong but his turning circle is a real issue, ball in hand he is nervous and when he makes a decision the opposition telegraph it and he is slow to cover the ground

Keath struggles with the pace of AFL vs VFL in my opinion
Hope I’m wrong but his turning circle is a real issue, ball in hand he is nervous and when he makes a decision the opposition telegraph it and he is slow to cover the ground
Agreed but he has earned another chance.

Really didn’t need the three tall defenders against tigers. Would’ve been happy to back Jones and JOD especially with Cleary in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is this the first time in Bevo's 9 years that a debutant has been dropped after one game?

No but it's rare. Buku is the first I've found but I'm sure there'll be a couple of others.

Edit: Sweet, Porter, Cavarra, Butler are others I've just found so maybe not even that rare

Will be interesting to see if Buss plays VFL then.

When is the last time a top 10 pick
didn’t play a senior game and got traded ?

On a technicality was pick 13 so he wouldn't join it anyway. I'm pretty confident he'll get a debut this season though.

Jarrod Pickett (GWS, pick 4 in 2014) seems to be the answer to your question

Remove this Banner Ad

Back