Changes to our round 3 team?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think possibly Collier in for Stiller and Henderson in for Clark. I liked our team for the game against Carlton, if that was Clark after a full pre-season and a game then I think Henderson deserves to be in for him this week. Stiller tends to get more disposals at the end of the game (or I only notice him at the end) whereas I think Collier is a much more physical player and has good kicking skills and has the muscle to provide a bump

Just an outsider here but I've followed Henderson since pre=drafting and would like to see him get a game soon. Looked to be OK down back in the NAB Cup

and no, this is not DT related - just think he has a good look to him and would reward the faith. Cheers

B.Hall out for Swans ?!.....Charman out....Henderson in ...Merrett 2nd ruck.
BTW loving the wrestling match......LOL.

After seeing a bit of footage of the Hawthorn and Sydney game, we need Leuey and Charman as his back up. Need to sort out the ruck and have two that can play in that position well and the best option at this stage is still Charman. I don't see the point in having others float in that are doing well in their usual position. We need a long term plan which we seem to have in place.

At first I thought that lionshine was Warwick, but now I am not so sure.

Is lionshine Toddy?;)

Goodes seems like a bad matchup for Bunno.

Put Bunno on Kirk who will show him how to be a star with limited natural talent.

Would Roe make a better tagger than Selwood ?!
He's atleast got the pace and body to play tall/small. Both of them have the decision making yips, but Roe can load up with a long kick to our forward line. He's been in defense so minding one player across 4 quarters and making sure he's denied ball most of the time wont be a big issue. Worth a try !?

I don't think Roe has the concentration to be able to run with Goodes for an entire game. One of Roe's shortcomings has been his ability to judge when to go or not to go to a contest and whether or not to stand his opponent directly. He makes a great floating defender, but I'd be fairly worried about his ability to follow a player around for four quarters.

Selwood is probably the smartest tagger that we have, but I don't know if he's going to be physically able to keep up with Goodes around the ground, let alone beat him in the contest for the ball.

Collier is worth giving a shot, I reckon. He might not have the experience of a Selwood at shutting down an opponent, but he certainly shows great endeavour and this, coupled with being a better match physically, might be enough to see him do a good job. He's probably also more likely to hurt Goodes on the flipside if he gets the ball (which is unlikely with Selwood).

Bring in notting and henderson for charmen and stiller. I dont think charmen has done enough to keep his spot in the team this year. Stiller has been getting the ball, but like sherman fails to do much with it. Notting should add some experience to the side and henderson might play up forward/ruck for us.

Also I love my wrestling, this match looks promising. Considering lionshine says he is 76 im putting my money on warwick and thebrowndog.

I don't think you can drop Charman. As poor as he was against the Blues, he is underdone and has had no preseason - dropping him to the twos isnt gonna do much for him - lets get more matches into him. That way Leuy can also be used around the ground more, something I think we need.

Sydney absolutely slaughtered the Hawks in the ruck with Jolly and White - Charmo and Leuey match up with these two pretty well I think.

Sydney absolutely slaughtered the Hawks in the ruck with Jolly and White - Charmo and Leuey match up with these two pretty well I think.

I agree. Against Sydney we will be playing a stoppage oriented game and Leuey would be buggered by 3rd quarter. Charman is a priority this round.

Keep him as a resting ruckman close to goal square and we can stretch their defense. Thats the best possible way we can use Charman when not rucking.

Out of our last 9 games against them, 8 have been losses with 1 draw. Guess who was rucking in that drawn game? Leuenberger...and Charman for a quarter.

Leuenberger drifting forward sounds nice in theory, but he's not even being used around the ground, how the hell will our guys look to him up forward? Besides, we're having enough trouble trying to fit Brown, Bradshaw and Clark all in the forward line...not sure how adding Leuenberger is going to help our structure.

Charman is underdone yes, but you'd still expect him to offer more against a couple of newbies in Kreuzer and Jacobs. Not offering us enough at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leuenberger drifting forward sounds nice in theory, but he's not even being used around the ground, how the hell will our guys look to him up forward? Besides, we're having enough trouble trying to fit Brown, Bradshaw and Clark all in the forward line...not sure how adding Leuenberger is going to help our structure.

Clark looks unlikely for the upcoming round based on last week's injury. We have the third tall spot vacant for now. We can use Clouston for it, but get him push further up the ground as a marking target.

I was suggesting Charman as the resting ruckman in the forward line. Trying to find ways to make him more useful, we are in consensus that his ruckwork is crap at present.

I was suggesting Charman as the resting ruckman in the forward line. Trying to find ways to make him more useful, we are in consensus that his ruckwork is crap at present.

Of course. I couldn't read - apologies.

Someone tell Charmo there's no point taking big marks if you give away a free kick straight after. ;)

It's fair enough to feel that we can't afford to drop Charman at this stage, considering that we're coming up against a team who are very good at clearances this week, and our own ruck situation is still very much up in the air. I don't think we can afford to go in with Leuenberger and a host of key position players who "could potentially play ruck". We'll definitely need to players who are genuine candidates for the role.

However, I think some people are under-rating Clark's ability in the ruck. From the times I've seen him take ruck contests, I've actually been fairly impressed with his ability to get a hand to the ball and accurately tap to our advantage. Admittedly, this has mainly been from around the ground stoppages, but he has been more impressive than anything Charman has done for a long time.

Also, Clark has a huge leap and is more likely to do something around the ground. Charman couldn't out-jump a geriatric frog at this point in time and is a joke in around the ground situations.

I've got a question mark over whether or not Clark can physically handle the endurance aspect of continual running, jumping and bashing in the role of a ruck, but he could hardly go worse than Charman in the role of second ruck at this point in time. My hope would be that he wouldn't do some sort of soft-tissue injury that would see him then miss 6-8 weeks, due to being over-worked in the ruck role.

So, after consideration, I'd go in with the following line-up:

In: T.Collier, T.Notting
Out: J.Charman, C.Stiller

B: A.McGrath, D.Merrett, J.Drummond
HB: J.Adcock, J.Patfull, J.MacDonald
C: T.Johnstone, L.Power, T.Selwood
HF: J.Sherman, J.Brown, T.Notting
F: R.Hooper, D.Bradshaw, A.Proud
Foll: M.Leuenberger, S.Black, D.Rich
Inter: B.Dalziell, M.Clark, M.Rischitelli, T.Collier
Em: J.Charman, S.Harding, C.Stiller

Charman to come in if Clark doesn't pull up, and Harding as an emergency to provide some cover just in case the McGrath and Hooper injuries provide any last minute concerns.

So, after consideration, I'd go in with the following line-up:

In: T.Collier, T.Notting
Out: J.Charman, C.Stiller

B: A.McGrath, D.Merrett, J.Drummond
HB: J.Adcock, J.Patfull, J.MacDonald
C: T.Johnstone, L.Power, T.Selwood
HF: J.Sherman, J.Brown, T.Notting
F: R.Hooper, D.Bradshaw, A.Proud
Foll: M.Leuenberger, S.Black, D.Rich
Inter: B.Dalziell, M.Clark, M.Rischitelli, T.Collier
Em: J.Charman, S.Harding, C.Stiller

Charman to come in if Clark doesn't pull up, and Harding as an emergency to provide some cover just in case the McGrath and Hooper injuries provide any last minute concerns.

Agree 100 percent with all this, along with your previous post about Clark being underated in the ruck.

Clark will break even in the ruck contest which is more than what Charman has done for 18 months, Clark's value as a ruckman will be his ability to lose his opponent. He could definitely develop into a link ruckman.

The reality is there are some players

Stiller
Selwood
Charman
Notting
Harding
Roe

who are at crossroads, Voss hasa to work out which ones are going to give him value and the players that aren't. Once he has established this then the next generation of player on our list will be given more opportunity and others will be banished to finish their time at our club in the 2s.

Personally from that group i only see Roe and Notting giving us value and being able to add to our team.

i think with clark injuring his leg once already in 2 rounds, we keep him away from the ruck. start bergs and play him as number 1 ruck and have charmo come in as just a big body fill in for when bergs needs a break.

it is hard to list a team yet with not knowing what the injuries are like, but i think clouston for clark if he doesn't get up, and have him play a true roaming CHF role, playing him well up the ground, leaving brownshaw inside the 50. i think that would really stretch the swans defense and clouston is still a goal threat from 55 out.

frees up bergs to play in the back half of the ground, to help give the rebounders a marking target around CHB and can be a link man running the ball out as well.

While i agree charmo has been as useful as having bernie gabba vegas out there on the field, i still think we are better off playing him into form. he is underdone, but i dont think we can keep looking to clark to be our ruck answer.

I'm not that keen on seeing either Clouston or Sheldon in the team this week. Surely there are other players ahead of them in terms of overall development as well as form in 2009? Henderson, Polkinghorne, Harding, Notting, etc.

Jason Roe in the side against Carlton i think we would of lost by under 10 points instead of lost by 19 or maybe even won!He gives us a another big defender option but he can also run it out of there well!I say bring Roe in ASAP!

Jason Roe in the side against Carlton i think we would of lost by under 10 points instead of lost by 19

:confused:

He gives us a another big defender option but he can also run it out of there well!I say bring Roe in ASAP!

So I take it that means we'd drop one of Drummond, Patfull or MacDonald then, considering they basically all play a similar role?

Clark will break even in the ruck contest which is more than what Charman has done for 18 months, Clark's value as a ruckman will be his ability to lose his opponent. He could definitely develop into a link ruckman.

The reality is there are some players

Stiller
Selwood
Charman
Notting
Harding
Roe

who are at crossroads, Voss hasa to work out which ones are going to give him value and the players that aren't. Once he has established this then the next generation of player on our list will be given more opportunity and others will be banished to finish their time at our club in the 2s.

Personally from that group i only see Roe and Notting giving us value and being able to add to our team.

Agree with the list(thou still hold out for Stiller coming good), but nevertheless how long do we persevere with the revolving door policy. Not so long ago it was "wait till they get to 50 games", well 50 games are here and gone and we still have the patchy efforts. Bring Hendo and Sheldon in, time for a new generation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes to our round 3 team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back