Changes for round 17 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

If they are both fit:

In:
Tarrant, Grover

Out:
Crowley (carrying inj from last week, get him right), Roberton (inj ankle, looked like he went and had a jab, so i reckon let them fix him up as he will be a gun)

I'd line up the team like this:
B: Antoni Grover, Chris Tarrant, Alex Silvagni,
HB: Greg Broughton, Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden
C: , Stephen Hill, Paul Duffield, Rhys Palmer
HF: Matthew de Boer, Matthew Pavlich, Nathan Fyfe
F: Paul Hasleby, Michael Johnson, Hayden Ballantyne
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Adam McPhee, David Mundy
I/C: Kepler Bradley, Jay van Berlo, Anthony Morabito, Garrick Ibbotson

Grover plays really well on smalls as does Silvagni and Broughton

To me that's our best back 6 anyway so if they are all good it would be good to get the chemistry going.

Looking forward to seeing Mayne back also otherwise i reckon the team is settled!!

I was a bit annoyed with Hase not keeping his feet today, he spent a lot of time on the floor with no second efforts. Roberton was interesting, up forward for much of the game. Thought Palmer was good.

I think playing DeBoer away from the mids is a mistake. His best work is in the middle.

Out Roberton and Johno
In Taz and Suban/Son Son

We will need smalls with good skill plus a few options for Hall if he plays.

Something needs to change up forward. We haven't had a proper structure up there all year, and granted it did work in the opening couple of months. But as teams are starting to work out how to play us and our midfield isn't having as easy a time, we are struggling up front.

In the first 10 rounds, we kicked over 90 every week. Since then we have only done it twice - the win against Carlton (Barlow kicked 4) and the win against Port (Crowley kicked 5). Even then we didn't have a target to kick to.

Sandilands and Bradley are only part time options, given we need them in the ruck. Pavlich will continue to split his time like he always has, and Johnson isn't exactly a true target. It's no coincidence that McPharlin had a shot on goal just 5 minutes after going to full forward.

The answer? Ryan Murphy.

I am not a real big fan of his. Hell, I was campaigning for Adam Campbell for much of last year. But the one thing he has always done is straighten us up because he is a good leading full forward, strong mark and generally a very good set shot.

Yes, he has some negatives. His work rate hasn't always been great, and defensive pressure is the focus of Fremantle this season. But without giving him a chance, who's to say he wouldn't step up a gear? When we were on top in '06, he was pretty impressive.

Murphy couldn't be doing anymore at WAFL level either. He has kicked 50 goals (and 27 behinds) from his 14 games. He was also named our WAFL Player of the Week last round.

I don't necessarily think he is the long term answer, but he would be an improvement over the current 'structure' we have up forward. Having a target would surely help the games of our crumbing forwards too. Making Brian Lake accountable this week wouldn't hurt either, otherwise he would be a shoe in for most disposals.

In: Tarrant, Murphy
Out: Silvagni, Roberton (purely team balance because I thought he was great this week)

And apologies for the long post. Obviously suggesting Murphy as an inclusion is going to attract some arguments, so I tried to cover all my bases.

I hate the Tarrant/McPharlin swing man option. I just don't think it ever works, and on the off chance that it does then we see it more and more often. Which ultimately tends to hurt their overall game.

The best way to stop Lake is to go through his direct opponent and make him accountable. Someone like Bradley is more your stand and deliver type forward, which plays straight into the hands of Lake. I would much prefer a genuine forward who knows how to lead. So unless Pavlich plays the whole game at full forward, there is only one option in my opinion.

(And I don't know what you're talking about. I clearly said McPharlin had a shot on goal, not that he kicked it. :))

I think playing DeBoer away from the mids is a mistake. His best work is in the middle.

Out Roberton and Johno
In Taz and Suban/Son Son

We will need smalls with good skill plus a few options for Hall if he plays.
totally agree.de boer is a defensive mid in my view.
Out :Robbo (inj) & jono
In:Taz & suban.
Ibbo into the midfield really impressed with his guts.Definitely worth a try.

Making Brian Lake accountable this week wouldn't hurt either, otherwise he would be a shoe in for most disposals.

To have any chance at winning this game we must get this match-up right.

De Boer/JVB could apply a hard tag and not allow any cheap possessions but would get out-pointed aerially. And both don't have the hurt factor going the other way.

Fyfe is an interesting one because I think he has the finesse and contested marking/possession skills to challenge Lake. However, it would be an unfamiliar role for a inexpierenced player and would get out-bodied.

Pavlich could match him aerially and physically, but he's too crucial to our structure to have playing a defensive role.

If Tarrant returns and Hall is still out, McPharlin has the defensive skills/body strength/aerial ability to match Lake and might not be nessecary to the backline with Taz/SNOS/Broughton.

I hate the Tarrant/McPharlin swing man option. I just don't think it ever works, and on the off chance that it does then we see it more and more often. Which ultimately tends to hurt their overall game.

The best way to stop Lake is to go through his direct opponent and make him accountable. Someone like Bradley is more your stand and deliver type forward, which plays straight into the hands of Lake. I would much prefer a genuine forward who knows how to lead. So unless Pavlich plays the whole game at full forward, there is only one option in my opinion.

(And I don't know what you're talking about. I clearly said McPharlin had a shot on goal, not that he kicked it. :))

There are forwards in the league that would make Lake far more accountable than Murphy could dream of doing. Lake held Franklin well, Murphy is nowhere near that kind of player.

Murphy is rubbish. I'd almost suggest you're a sockpuppet for suggesting such a dismal Freo failure. What is with your love of hacks?

Lake actually gets a fair bit of contested footy. He reads the play well and is often against the best key forward (Buddy, Hall, etc). I doubt we can stop this.

What we should try to stop, is them using him as the release valve when their other defenders are under pressure. To do this our key forward (whoever that is) needs to be bustling to keep him shut down.

I'm not actually that concerned with Lake, because chances are he will get his 20 touches regardless of who his opponent is. I really only mentioned his as a bit of a throwaway line. Although with no real opponent, he could easily get 30-40 touches instead.

My reasons for bringing in Murphy were more to bring a semblance of structure to an otherwise disorganised forward line. Ultimately it wouldn't hurt to give him a chance considering his WAFL form, at least that way we could actually judge him on current form and not past history.

It's unfortunate Headland didnt play for Subi on the weekend, he'd be handy up at FF against the Dogs.

Pav is definately a better player than Headland, but against Lake you need some one with a little bit more aggression. Headland is an important cog to Freo's final's chances. As it was stated in another thread he's a front runner of the highest order - but a front runner today would have finished off a few more of those I50's and finished the game at 1/2 time not allowing the Dee's back into the game

There are forwards in the league that would make Lake far more accountable than Murphy could dream of doing. Lake held Franklin well, Murphy is nowhere near that kind of player.

Besides the swing man strategy, what our our KFP options?

Zac - too inexperienced, too light.
Des - not ready
Chopper - injured

The other alternative is to go small - from Sonson, Pearce, Suban, Timmeh.

Wasn't until I started this exercise did I realise just how injuries have really hollowed out our playing list.

In conclusion - kudos to Murph for having a great match, bad luck that Souths had the bye thus denying him the opportunity to press his claim for a spot. Fyfe or SNOS to the forward line with instructions to sacrifice his game and drag Lake to the flanks.

Yes, it's a makeshift strategy, but if we can't dominate a position/area, then the next best thing is to try and neutralise it.

PS Murph needs 2-3 consecutive standout performances. By his own admission his achilles heel has been consistency, and he needs to demonstrate that he has overcome this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN:
Taz
Grover

OUT:
Silvagni
Roberton

RUCK: Sandilands/Crowley/Palmer
FOR: Ballantyne/Pavlich/Bradley
HFOR: Morabito/Johnson/Hase
CEN: Hill/Mundy/Duffman
HBCK: Hayden/McPharlin/Ibbo
BCK: Broughton/Taz/Grover

BENCH: DeBoer/Fyfe/McPhee/VanBerlo

Tarrant and Grover back will help massively.

Pushed Jonno forward. Pav needs to play CHF and stay out of midfield, he only bullocks his way out to kick ball deep... but to who?

Needs to play a traditional lead up game and have one of those 12-15 kick games where at least half are shots on goal.

Our midfield is young and small so McPhee has big job to help the smaller frames.

Also Haselby might need to have a run in middle if he's right. We have enough pace and if we can win enough clearances can put them under pressure.

Even play Pav out of goal square and force Lake to play deep.

MASSIVE match!

This whole no one has won after playing at Darwin myth is just that.

Dogs have been up there 5 times and won following week twice.

Any thoughts on really stretching the Dogs? Jonno, McPharlin, Mayne, Kepler, Sandi and Pav? their midfield get about 30 touches each but they fling it around like Geelong.

I dont rate their forwards but like us their mids push forward and that gets them many goals. I'd like Hall to play as if he becomes their target i think we can stop him and then they will dry up.

Besides the swing man strategy, what our our KFP options?

Zac - too inexperienced, too light.
Des - not ready
Chopper - injured

The other alternative is to go small - from Sonson, Pearce, Suban, Timmeh.

Wasn't until I started this exercise did I realise just how injuries have really hollowed out our playing list.

In conclusion - kudos to Murph for having a great match, bad luck that Souths had the bye thus denying him the opportunity to press his claim for a spot. Fyfe or SNOS to the forward line with instructions to sacrifice his game and drag Lake to the flanks.

Yes, it's a makeshift strategy, but if we can't dominate a position/area, then the next best thing is to try and neutralise it.

PS Murph needs 2-3 consecutive standout performances. By his own admission his achilles heel has been consistency, and he needs to demonstrate that he has overcome this.

Jonno and Silva are options too.

If Grover is fit he could play as key forward on Brian Lake. He has the strength, is prepared to work hard and put his body on the line and, I think, is a reasonable shot at goal.

What about playing McPhee at FF. He can mark (well some times) and would have the ability to shut down Lake's rebound.

If Mayne was up and running Lake would have to be a little more aware but not sure he is an 'in' at this stage.

Not sure if Murph would step-up, but he can not do anything more in the WAFL. It's surely the end of the line for him if he can not get a recall.

Not sure I would want to drop Silvagni for Grover. I flip back and forth on who I'd prefer out of the two ... but for me it comes down to whether McPharlin and Tarrant are playing. If they are, then I prefer Silvagni as the third tall defender. Although I'd prefer Grover as the #1 tall if McPharlin and Tarrant were out. So this week ... assuming Tarrant plays then I see no room for Grover.

Morris usually takes Pavlich, so I don't see it working if we try to make Lake accountable by hoping he plays on Pav. I fear that Lake is going to destroy us ... if we bomb it in like we did this week, Lake will take about 20 marks. The coaching panel is going to have to earn their money this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for round 17 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back