Chad Wingard or Cyril Rioli

Wingard or Rioli

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't make a comparison, just pointing out the parts of Rioli's game that go unnoticed, and apparently by yourself as well.
I noticed them.

He kicked one good set shot and one cheapie. He had a very good assist to Puopolo on the 3QT siren, another cheap assist (to Suckling I believe?) when all of Port's defenders had pushed up the ground and turned it over. The third assist I can't remember.

Nobody's saying that Rioli isn't a good player, and I'm happy to admit that he does quite a few things that the average viewer doesn't notice.

But he's not in the same class as Wingard. Seriously, regarding small forwards, goals are a very good measure of a player's worth.

51 to 34 tells the story. Wingard averaging an extra 5 disposals a game just shows that Wingard is also more useful around the ground.

They both had a cheapie, Wingard had at least one joe the goose, and that ridiculous free kick he got against Gibson. They all add up.
Right... I suppose Hodge also did nothing wrong when he bumped Wingard?

Right... I suppose Hodge also did nothing wrong when he bumped Wingard?

Would explain why he didn't give a free kick away. Ran across the goalline with Wingard to shepherd Wingard over and Chad's lowered his head at the last second and got his melon wedged between Hodge and the behind post. The only bumping motion was made when approaching the behind post, which is a natural defensive posture to take in that situation.

Would explain why he didn't give a free kick away. Ran across the goalline with Wingard to shepherd Wingard over and Chad's lowered his head at the last second and got his melon wedged between Hodge and the behind post. The only bumping motion was made when approaching the behind post, which is a natural defensive posture to take in that situation.
Yeah alright m80. I didn't realise that you were Hodgepodge.

Yeah alright m80. I didn't realise that you were Hodgepodge.

What does that have to do with anything? Play the ball, please.

Initially I thought Hodge might have raised the elbow but that just got the behind post. Watch the thing at normal speed and there is nothing in it.

Yeah, we're did they pull that one from? Since when has coat-hangering a bloke in a marking contest been a free? Madness.

The umpire said it was for Chad running into the back of the spoil. He called it 'unlucky'. It was a bizarre free kick, and obviously I've never seen that on an AFL field before.

The umpire said it was for Chad running into the back of the spoil. He called it 'unlucky'. It was a bizarre free kick, and obviously I've never seen that on an AFL field before.
haha can i have some of what your smoking mate? seems you have some really good shit

yes the umpire said it was unlucky. The umpire also said "but you took his head off"
committing an offence even though it was accidental is still an offence.
No different than when a tackler trips over and drives a player into the ground, or a player who throws the arm out and accidently trips an opponent.
They are still free kicks

haha can i have some of what your smoking mate? seems you have some really good shit

There's no need to get personal, thank you.

yes the umpire said it was unlucky. The umpire also said "but you took his head off"
committing an offence even though it was accidental is still an offence.

Spoiling the ball is not an offence. This is why I've never seen a free kick like this before.

No different than when a tackler trips over and drives a player into the ground

Yes it's completely different, the tackler is not the man in front as was the case here, and the main problem with the free kick. The analogous situation would be if the player in front trips over and gets done for contact below the knees to the chasing player.

So it was a ridiculous oddity of a free kick, and hopefully the corrections are made so it doesn't recur.

There's no need to get personal, thank you.

Spoiling the ball is not an offence. This is why I've never seen a free kick like this before.

Yes it's completely different, the tackler is not the man in front as was the case here, and the main problem with the free kick. The analogous situation would be if the player in front trips over and gets done for contact below the knees to the chasing player.

So it was a ridiculous oddity of a free kick, and hopefully the corrections are made so it doesn't recur.

Yeah, I actually think you're trolling, but I'll bite. The free kick was paid for high contact to the head, not for "spoiling" as you put it. Anyway, good luck with the rest of your trolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard ran his own head in there. This is the first time I've seen the man in front penalised for spoiling. It was a ridiculous free kick.
Nothing to do with spoiling. He got him high with his non-spoiling arm after the spoil was made.

Can't believe anyone would even attempt to argue it.

The results of this poll are quite a good representation of the disparity between the two

not to mention Wingard is four years younger and has already equaled Rioli. In another four years time, Wingard will have a couple more All Australians next his name and most likely a couple more B&F's.

Nothing to do with spoiling. He got him high with his non-spoiling arm after the spoil was made.

Which would be incidental contact not in a contest which is not a free kick either.

Can't believe anyone would even attempt to argue it.

Believe it; your incredulity just has you out of step with every commentator on the radio who criticized the free kick. Wingard ran into a spoil head first from behind, that was the dumbest free kick I've seen this year.

Wingard ran his own head in there. This is the first time I've seen the man in front penalised for spoiling. It was a ridiculous free kick.

If it was an elbow or shoulder that was sudden impact involved he would have been real unlucky but there is a grabbing motion involved so he was done for.
Wingard is a bit of a genius though and that is probably why we haven't seen that before etc.

What is it with all these "defensive posture" incidents and Hawthorn? Just tall poppy syndrome I'm sure ...

Which would be incidental contact not in a contest which is not a free kick either.
Of course it is You can't just coat-hanger someone whether it's incidental or not.
Believe it; your incredulity just has you out of step with every commentator on the radio who criticized the free kick. Wingard ran into a spoil head first from behind, that was the dumbest free kick I've seen this year.
They're wrong. Simple. They get things a lot of things wrong. I'm sure you've seen numerous dumber free kicks than that.

Back