Strategy CEO Thread - Jennifer Watt - Started Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it very hard to believe this would ever get ticked off, particularly with all the other clubs having access to zones there already. Seems to me another Tom Morris bullshit slow news day story.
Depends, how many indigenous kids have come through as NGA from the region from the 5 clubs already there?
Would make sense to unify it all if it means a more direct pathway to being selected in the draft.
Imagine if they gave us another 2-4 list spots that were locked in as Rookie listed NGA that must be taken from NT every year.
Can't get more direct than that.

Depends, how many indigenous kids have come through as NGA from the region from the 5 clubs already there?
Would make sense to unify it all if it means a more direct pathway to being selected in the draft.
Imagine if they gave us another 2-4 list spots that were locked in as Rookie listed NGA that must be taken from NT every year.
Can't get more direct than that.

It’s not just NGA, it’s draftable prospects in general.

The NT sides have been getting annihilated at junior level for a few years now.

The AFL is effectively stepping in and killing a few birds with one stone.

Interesting that Darwin (the white section) has been left off the map. This might indicate that the plan is for the Suns to retain Darwin as their NGA zone, while North get the rest. If the Hawks end up playing games in Cairns, which has been mooted, then the Suns could lose Cairns.

Last edited:

Interesting that Darwin (the white section) has been left of the map. This might indicate that the plan is for the Suns to retain Darwin as their NGA zone, while North get the rest. If the Hawks end up playing games in Cairns, which has been mooted, then the Suns could lose Cairns.

Good spot. Didn’t notice that, although they might have just merged the other NGA zone graphics which don’t currently include it.

It’s a ****ing shit deal if that’s the case.

Most of the talent is always from Darwin in the NT’s case.

Just start ploughing resources into the Tiwi Islands.

Good spot. Didn’t notice that, although they might have just merged the other NGA zone graphics which don’t currently include it.

It’s a ****ing shit deal if that’s the case.

Most of the talent is always from Darwin in the NT’s case.

Just start ploughing resources into the Tiwi Islands.
Most of the talent and best community clubs are in Darwin. However, only 10% of Darwin’s population is indigenous. Getting access to the rest of the NT would give the club access to a greater volume of potential players; although, the talent ID, development, education etc of players from remote regions would be far more challenging.

Sorry if this sounds crazy but if it’s only $2m a year to find in additional revenue why don’t we just bump up the 50000 memberships we sell each year by an average of $40 on a sliding scale and get the 4 games back? I for one would be happy to pay the extra fir the 4 extra games. Also maybe if we win say 3-4 games a year we might even add to those 50k in the first place.

Same. Would be happy to pay more.

Also, I would like to think that when we start winning a lot and are contending again, we could attract another 10,000 members at an average $200 - and there’s your $2m.

Not to mention more prime time games, more sponsorship $s and an increase in home game attendance - there’s another million or two. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I find it very hard to believe this would ever get ticked off, particularly with all the other clubs having access to zones there already. Seems to me another Tom Morris bullshit slow news day story.
Access to the entire Territory then re-write the NGA rules so we can’t access. Gee than
People will flock when there's value. Right now, the 7 home game deal isn't much value and only the fanatic rusted on go for that.

If you offer 9 home games for the same price there will be more people at the footy. The club went too far with the alternative revenue streams. There was an issue with attendance (to combat) but it was worsened by allowing 4 games in Tassie. You've essentially given ammo to people that were on the reserved seat membership to downgrade or cancel to just watch with a Kayo membership. Pissed away 400 odd per person (or 700 if they cancel altogether). That adds up.

You can't go to extremes to chase money and then allow such a long time between Melbourne home games. It's deflating to look at the fixture and realise the next home game is miles away.
If the value for money is preventing people from going- we do get 4 replacement games right?

It is not ideal but we do get access to 11 Melbourne games.

I would prefer 11 home Melbourne games but I don’t think the lack of value is a reason for people not turning up - or buying a membership.

Access to the entire Territory then re-write the NGA rules so we can’t access. Gee than

If the value for money is preventing people from going- we do get 4 replacement games right?

It is not ideal but we do get access to 11 Melbourne games.

I would prefer 11 home Melbourne games but I don’t think the lack of value is a reason for people not turning up - or buying a membership.
Fighting for level 1 seats isn't really access to 11 Melbourne games. If people are forking out 700 odd a year to go watch North they shouldn't have to watch their emails like a hawk to get replacement game seats. This is inherently a lack of value. If you miss out, that's it. Sitting on level 3 is cheap as chips and is not good value for a full-paying member. Just buy a seat at that point and don't get a membership.

What will happen when we're on the up? Replacement game seats will evaporate quicker than they do now.

Frustratingly, some people don't even get the emails or their code doesn't work. They have to ring the club. 700+ a year and it's still a mess.

In saying all that, I am not even asking for all home games to be in Melbourne, go back to 9 in Melbourne and 2 wherever. It shortens the gaps between home games for Melbourne members whilst the club keeps the revenue stream.

Fighting for level 1 seats isn't really access to 11 Melbourne games. If people are forking out 700 odd a year to go watch North they shouldn't have to watch their emails like a hawk to get replacement game seats. This is inherently a lack of value. If you miss out, that's it. Sitting on level 3 is cheap as chips and is not good value for a full-paying member. Just buy a seat at that point and don't get a membership.

What will happen when we're on the up? Replacement game seats will evaporate quicker than they do now.

Frustratingly, some people don't even get the emails or their code doesn't work. They have to ring the club. 700+ a year and it's still a mess.

In saying all that, I am not even asking for all home games to be in Melbourne, go back to 9 in Melbourne and 2 wherever. It shortens the gaps between home games for Melbourne members whilst the club keeps the revenue stream.
Agree on all your points.
It’s a schit fight on all accounts and the gap between not just home games, but any games in Melbourne is unacceptable.

It’s a schit fight on all accounts and the gap between not just home games, but any games in Melbourne is unacceptable.
I kinda wish the club didn't go beyond 2 games in Tassie. I think the formula felt like it hit a sweet spot with 9 in Melbourne and 2 replacement games if you wished to have a crack at getting seats (assuming your code works and emails come through).

By going with 4, it decreases the value and when the team is shit, it decreases it even more. I don't think the club foresaw the rebuild period when they made it 4 games.

In a cost of living crisis, people will pull back. I just hope the club comes up with a better solution especially since members have been tremendously patient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll never forget hearing a Carlton supporter at one of our Home games at Marvel years ago. The big screen showed that our next Home game was 4 weeks away and the guy laughed as he said......''I'm watching my boys play every week in Melbourne for the next 6 weeks and you lot gotta wait a month for your next Home game here Ha!''

I've heard other versions of that from other opposition supporters when the next Home game info pops up on the big screen.

The thing that sh!ts me the most about it is that theres no rebuttal to it. You just have to take it.

It's embarrassing.

All things said, I particularly enjoyed the MCG replacement game. North end was electric and louder than the Dees supporters.

There is nothing like the MCG. We should have all our replacement games there.
Only problem with that is the club has to pay the AFL 100k to move a game from Marvel apparently.
If it's against the Bombers or Blues at the MCG then the bigger crowd might offset that.

All things said, I particularly enjoyed the MCG replacement game. North end was electric and louder than the Dees supporters.

There is nothing like the MCG. We should have all our replacement games there.

Was a great night

But when we are coming home with a wet sail at Marvel it is awesome

We just haven’t had a sail for a long time there

**** we love shiny bullshit don’t we.

taxing for players mid season, let alone the costs involved to play up there,

Taxing for supporters, less Melbourne commuters and overtly expensive in general coming from everywhere else apart from qld.

Compare that to making Bendigo our own and having swathes of country located footy fans driving from VIC, SA and NSW.

I’ve seen what the atmosphere is like from a gather round perspective at local community grounds. If we can get 15-20k at a Bendigo setup versus 10k up in Darwin - then keep a few games extra in Melbourne and charge a bit more overall across the year surely we can make up the deficit.

I’m way more likely to drive to Bendigo than fly to Darwin or Alice

Also, I would like to think that when we start winning a lot and are contending again, we could attract another 10,000 members at an average $200 - and there’s your $2m.

Not to mention more prime time games, more sponsorship $s and an increase in home game attendance - there’s another million or two. Problem
There’s a way the NMFC could attract more people to its games get the AFL to schedule 3 to 4 Double headers on a Friday night.
Example
Game 1 have
Carlton vs Essendon at the MCG at 7:30pm Friday night .
Game 2 have
North vs Collingwood at Marvel at 8pm
Then you will get a better crowd as North supporters can’t whinge and moan and give excuses like I’m at the Grand Prix both day or I’m off the Sienfeld or little Mary has Netball Saturday and little Johnny has junior football Sunday.
This gives us a chance to have Friday night football that this club invented then people can do whatever they want on the weekend.
It’s an idea to think about and to keep Channel 7 Scum happy and the AFL Happy let’s have North favourite media performer show it in Fox Footy .

**** we love shiny bullshit don’t we.

taxing for players mid season, let alone the costs involved to play up there,

Taxing for supporters, less Melbourne commuters and overtly expensive in general coming from everywhere else apart from qld.

Compare that to making Bendigo our own and having swathes of country located footy fans driving from VIC, SA and NSW.

I’ve seen what the atmosphere is like from a gather round perspective at local community grounds. If we can get 15-20k at a Bendigo setup versus 10k up in Darwin - then keep a few games extra in Melbourne and charge a bit more overall across the year surely we can make up the deficit.

I’m way more likely to drive to Bendigo than fly to Darwin or Alice

Someone gotta spend $$$ on the whole facility rebuild.

Ground is an awesome location

Parking will be diabolical

Unless you look for a green fields site.

Not to mention more prime time games, more sponsorship $s and an increase in home game attendance - there’s another million or two. Problem solved.

Yeah that was the old StKilda model. Just win heaps of premierships. It didn't quite work out due to tripping on the first hurdle.

Right I've caught up with this thread and I will organise a teams meeting for 8 July, and this will be your time to shine. You can put forward your RRP. Revenue Raising Plan.

We will have a panel of amateur experts from BF and they will decide on what plans we put forward to the club.

Notable notes as per below

1. we're 2 million short pa from 2028.
2. So far we've sucked 20 odd mil out of the Isle.
3. How do we suck more out of another 'partner', on the pretense we're doing them a huge favor.
4. Coffee cart ideas can GTFO - you'd need to sell 447,143 * $4.50.
5. Huddle is the key
6. Why is the huddle the key
7. It gives us access to cheap labour.

Chop, chop campaigners !
We'll spend a week in Darwin sinking piss. Donate $1 per can to revenue raising. Club will be having money fights in no time.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yeah that was the old StKilda model. Just win heaps of premierships. It didn't quite work out due to tripping on the first hurdle.
You can't build a business model in footy that's dependent on winning. Winning is the icing on the cake.

Just a small point but if we're going to talk up the innovation of Greg Miller in context of this discussion about seeking a secondary market aka selling home games, it was of course, one of Greg Miller's major innovations as CEO to launch the Travelling Kangaberries in the first instance.
90's innovation = merge with Fitzroy.

That didn't happen....sell games to Canberra, Sydney.. wherever..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back