Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Fyfe might be a closer comparison for Cody than a Cripps or Petracca type. Time will tell.
Looking forward to Cody turning out to be a mixture of Cripps, Petracca, Kouta, Walker and Fyfe... ;)

I feel we took Ben Silvagni purely to not upset SOS and some clubs feel obliged to take some father sons or academy players they shouldn’t.

I look at the Dogs who drafted Jamara, drafted Darcy, drafted Croft, whilst having Naughton.

If they weren’t father sons I’m not sure the Digs would have gone down that path.
No team is passing up JUH or Darcy for mid first rounders when they were no1 pick talent. They got Croft a mid first rounder for later picks. Another no brainer. This is elite talent not 3/4th rounders

Kouta was a unicorn, but I think 1AW was actually about as close as it gets to a Kouta clone.

Strong, quick, endurance, great leap, strong overhead.

Could play full time midfield, but also down back and up forward.

Obviously not as muscular and KPPy as Kouta, but about as close as you get.

Otherwise maybe Pavlich and Goodes as close as I can think of.
My favourite 1AW memory. What a player he was.

Kouta was a unicorn, but I think 1AW was actually about as close as it gets to a Kouta clone.

Strong, quick, endurance, great leap, strong overhead.

Could play full time midfield, but also down back and up forward.

Obviously not as muscular and KPPy as Kouta, but about as close as you get.

Otherwise maybe Pavlich and Goodes as close as I can think of.
Sadly doing his shoulders robbed us from seeing his full potential

Who can forget the chant of “Walker, Walker, Walker!!!” which echoed around the ground during the first quarter - was a shining light for us during those dark times.

Was a very good player for a decade.

Would have been even better if not for the shoulder and knee injuries. And without us moving him around every two years.

Was a very good player for a decade.

Would have been even better if not for the shoulder and knee injuries. And without us moving him around every two years.
I thought we'd finally found his spot as a forward when he kicked 50 goals there. For some reason he went straight out.

If the modern centre-forward role was around back then he could have won a Brownlow playing it, given the prevalence now. Was ahead of his time and we didn't quite know where to put him. Maybe in a better team with better coaches etc. they'd have worked that out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can't believe a Cripps sized Cripps exists...
Happy accident of a late growth spurt happening to a life-long mid. Wasn't he just under 190cm when we drafted him? Bugger kept growing!

Just had a look, one draft profile says 188cm, another says 192cm and another at 190cm... so I guess somewhere in between? In any case it's also mentioned he grew 20cm in 2 yrs! Then grew more after joining us... that's some growth spurt

Last edited:
Happy accident of a late growth spurt happening to a life-long mid. Wasn't he just under 190cm when we drafted him? Bugger kept growing!

Just had a look, one draft profile says 188cm, another says 192cm, so I guess somewhere in between? In any case it's also mentioned he grew 20cm in 2 yrs! Then grew more after joining us... that's some growth spurt
still hope for ferrisb then?

And how he was robbed of Mark of the Year in 2011 beggars belief.

:rolleyes:
I remember reading a good description of that robbery at the time, may have even been from Gerard Whately? Maybe not but it sounds like the kind of thing he'd say, paraphrasing but it was long the lines of:

"It may not have won mark of the year, but it's the mark that will still be shown in 50 years time"

I think that's very true. It will be in most marking highlight packages from now until forever

I remember reading a good description of that robbery at the time, may have even been from Gerard Whately? Maybe not but it sounds like the kind of thing he'd say, paraphrasing but it was long the lines of:

"It may not have won mark of the year, but it's the mark that will still be shown in 50 years time"

I think that's very true. It will be in most marking highlight packages from now until forever

It's egregious it didn't win...

Like I said in my first reply, if it's a pick 12 bid and we're at 14 you'd match it for sure. Your example of pick 30 and 15 goes to what I said about it being a big discrepancy.

I believe we have some idea on how they're rated given how strongly Voss responded to the question around changes and how it likely stops us being able to get them both. We obviously are wanting them both and have set up our draft around taking them. In overall draft ranking, perhaps we don't know exactly. But what we do know is they've set up the entire draft around these 2, so we obviously rate them and are prepared to match fairly decent bids for them.
But if we've used 15 and the bid come at 17 and our next one is in the 30s, then you'd still match.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
For those that had any concerns about Cody Walker somehow ending up at Richmond as part of their academy here's some quotes from Andrew Walker in today's age.

"He's very fortunate that he has the option. But at the end of the day, Cody is my oldest, he finished at West Preston in year 6 so he remembers absolutely everything about my days at Carlton. He's become very close with Sam Walsh. I spent 13 years there and Cody was there for a lot of that time. Ultimately I would love to see him run around in the navy blue."
And what does Cody want? Kid hits a rebellious streak and as an up yours to daddy dons the Yellow and Bleak.

Just had a look, one draft profile says 188cm, another says 192cm and another at 190cm... so I guess somewhere in between? In any case it's also mentioned he grew 20cm in 2 yrs! Then grew more after joining us... that's some growth spurt
His dad used fertilizer that expired in 1965 at the farm. Just took a few more years to kick in than normal.

Why? Make no sense to me.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you have the available picks to match a bit after, and value that player more than the 3 or 4 you might pick later on. If you were happy just taking 2 kids in the draft then it would absolutely be worth it and makes sense.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back