Preview Brisbane Lions v Melbourne Demons - Friday, 28 June 2024, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zane Zakostelsky,however he has spent most of his time this year growing into his body with very little footy. Has played the last month and has shown promise.

I’d say we would shuffle things before playing ZZ.hopefully it doesn’t come to that

There's always an option of throwing Brandon Ryan to the backline as a tall defender.

He has no mobility. Can cal play tall defender? lol or rayner back to defender

I’d say we would shuffle things before playing ZZ.hopefully it doesn’t come to that
All depends on what the situation is with Payne doesn't it.

I think Joyce is the only viable choice if Payne's out for a while.

But not presuming anything as yet . I think we all remember the last time Payne had foot 'soreness' and then we tried to bring him back which didn't work out.

He's never really recaptured the brilliance he had during the first half of last season . Let's hope it's just a blip.

Legit if Payne and Joyce both weren't available, you'd have to go an interceptor IMO. Beecken and ZZ are the two that spring to mind. ZZ took 8 marks and several intercepts on the weekend, but is extremely raw.

Although the irony is it would be akin to when Harris debuted - athletic, good marker but very raw. Baptism of fire as Fages would say!

Legit if Payne and Joyce both weren't available, you'd have to go an interceptor IMO. Beecken and ZZ are the two that spring to mind. ZZ took 8 marks and several intercepts on the weekend, but is extremely raw.

Although the irony is it would be akin to when Harris debuted - athletic, good marker but very raw. Baptism of fire as Fages would say!
Sometimes you never know what you've got until you throw them in.

Most of the time they're just not up to it but this year we've found a couple.

I really like what I've seen of Beecken. ZZ is an unknown quantity but probably started the year off in the same boat as Morris. More or less.

Sometimes you never know what you've got until you throw them in.

Most of the time they're just not up to it but this year we've found a couple.

I really like what I've seen of Beecken. ZZ is an unknown quantity but probably started the year off in the same boat as Morris. More or less.

Beecken looks very good given we took him in the MSD. If he was selected, it would mean Harris and Lester would be there to take the first and second tall and he'd be a floater and intercept.

The more I think about it, the more you'd probably have to go Lloyd or ZZ. We'd need the height.

Hopefully we don't need to break the emergency glass any time soon.

Beecken looks very good given we took him in the MSD. If he was selected, it would mean Harris and Lester would be there to take the first and second tall and he'd be a floater and intercept.

The more I think about it, the more you'd probably have to go Lloyd or ZZ. We'd need the height.

Hopefully we don't need to break the emergency glass any time soon.
Definitely I don't see Beecken in the role at this point , but I do see him getting a game somewhere over the next 12 months. But as imo he's the most talented of the options down there they'd look at it.

It was just interesting to me that we had a bit of talk about needing a KPP player prior to the MSD and I'm wondering whether Jack has been carrying something. Because we know if Harris or Jack goes down we're light on.

Anyone know how the Lester cloning experiment is going?

Speaking of which, is 3KZ is Football still around? I've been busy, so haven't been on the boards much over the last few weeks. He hasn't been posting less since we've starting winning has he?
He's definitely been around prior to this week. Guessing it's reports week or holiday or something.
Dlanod put me up to this, he promised to show me the centre of the bigfooty maze
I'd make an acrostic but I cracked out the last of the rum my wife brought back from the Philippines so you can fill it in yourself:

G
O
A
T
S
E

He's definitely been around prior to this week. Guessing it's reports week or holiday or something.

I'd make an acrostic but I cracked out the last of the rum my wife brought back from the Philippines so you can fill it in yourself:

G
O
A
T
S
E

3KZ is coaching the Lions every Tuesday. Can't reveal his true identity, but let's just say it's time to give 3KZ his Dew.

Eric has spent more time back than Daniher in living memory but to be honest I'd just play anyone undersized and try to outscore them.

Eric has spent more time back than Daniher in living memory but to be honest I'd just play anyone undersized and try to outscore them.

thread top GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy's such a fickle game.

This morning it's all about how's anyone going to stop us and all of a sudden a reality check to what are we going to do .

I was thinking about this in the context of how clubs pay overs to get players on their past record because they fill a 'need' whereas the real key in getting value for your picks and money is being good enough to have a crystal ball and seeing the potential improvement in somebody.

What we've been really good at is getting hold of players who have the runs on the board and making them better players.

Last edited:
Joyce has been good in the VFL and should be up with the Lions defense system.
Like a lot of defenders, he picks up possession with that backward/sideways kick from teammates.
Even so his stats are good at VFL level.
Below his 2024 stats from https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Darragh_Joyce
Obvious choice to replace Payne for now anyhow.

Last played AFL in R6 of 2022. So, a long break between AFL games. We won 4 and lost 1 when he played
I think he is now a better player since his debut games in 2022.
That happens when you are at a club regularly playing finals.

1719491210756.png
1719491165357.png

I haven't been impressed with Joyce this season. He does some silly things like trying to take on players that he's not agile enough to beat and getting burned. At least when Zac Bailey screws up like that, it's far from goal and he does good things to redeem himself. Doing that in the backline is much more costly, and I hope Joyce plays it safe at senior level.

Throwing the magnets around would be the less preferable option if another kpd goes down imho. I'd rather see ZZ thrown into the deepend even though a couple of upcoming teams have the capabilities to try and exploit that. So matchup dependent? Still have plenty of leadership down back to help deal with it.

My only concern is that our defensive structure started to waver at times against the Saints when it looked as though we had the game in the bag but this only happened because our backs started to wander further afield than usual and got caught out of position.

Joyce and Prior have both looked assured on the last line of defense in the reserves this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back