Bob Murphy possible retirement ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still reckon Robert Harvey should have gone on one more season, talent and experience like that may have made all the difference in 09. Broke my heart to be there to see you beat us in the prelim and see him chaired off but was happy for Crawf :)
Unfortunately "managing" players through a season wasn't the done thing even a few years ago, although holding Harvey back a week here and there from training / playing sounds impossible.

As weird as it sounds, you'd wonder how he'd go in the backhalf a la Matty Boyd. Sounds crazy but Boyd to a rebounding HB role was nuts to most Bulldog fans too. Harvey knew the game as well as anyone and no forward could match his endurance, he'd run off all day and carve opponents up in redtime.

Unfortunately "managing" players through a season wasn't the done thing even a few years ago, although holding Harvey back a week here and there from training / playing sounds impossible.

As weird as it sounds, you'd wonder how he'd go in the backhalf a la Matty Boyd. Sounds crazy but Boyd to a rebounding HB role was nuts to most Bulldog fans too. Harvey knew the game as well as anyone and no forward could match his endurance, he'd run off all day and carve opponents up in redtime.

I moreso wonder how he would have went instead of Raph Clarke :p

But they are good points you make, Boyd has reinvented himself pretty much from classy mid into all round player.

Ok, I'm going to ask because it's been bothering me for a while now.

Can someone please tell me when Murphy went from being a good player to being a champion?

He's never been among the top 10-15 guys in the league - debatable he's ever been the best player at his club that has turned out some pretty average teams (ever won a B&F?), he's gone AA twice, 4 years apart - so not exactly an extended run of excellent form (whether that be for injury or what ever).

He's nearly at 300 games, but he's also been in the league for 16-17 years and plays for club that tends to have a hard time showing the door to it's 'favourite sons'.

Has this 'champion'/'untouchable Bob' just come along hand in hand with the media darling stuff or is he legitimately considered a 'CHAMPION' - even at a Bulldogs level?
Agree the term champion gets overused but there are different definitions of a champion. He is a champion to us and it will be sad to see him retire.
He stuck around when his mate Nathan Brown chased the cash and he stuck around when Griffen jumped ship.
Good luck to him, wont be lost to the game.

I think the saddest thing about this thread is that Bob is so respectful towards opposition players, he never says a bad word about anyone. He has a self deprecating sense of humour about himself.

He's not a Dermie, Gazza or Billy, a loud mouthed self promoting bore, he is just his quiet reflective self.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were two things happened at season end 2014 - McCartney and Griffen out - Bevo and Murphy in. In 2015 the Dogs were widely tipped to finish bottom four again but infact finished top six and the writing was on the wall. Murphy named AA captain and in case some of these haters on this thread didn't notice, his marshalling of the Dogs backline was sublime at times - on either foot or hand and usually under immense pressure. His ability to read the play and then his distribution of the ball to that fantastic midfield was the reason he was named AA. The esteem he was held in by his young group was the reason he was ultimately named AA captain and why there was such a wall of gloom at the club when he went down this year. Bevo has since been named back-to-back coach of the year and favourite to win the AIS coach of the year. Nobody is knifing Bevo because he didn't contribute onfield to the flag..... so why the heck are so many hellbent on downplaying Rob Murphy's contribution as captain and player for the same period????
Sheesh, the guy has been a credit to the game for so long and would've had his name placed on the whiteboard at selection in the first half-dozen every single week when fit - as he would at EVERY other club if he was on their list.
Can't believe some of the bitterness toward him. That is all.

FFS... this is exactly why I didn't want the WB to win the flag, even though I barracked for them GF day anyhow (as they were in a drought position just like us) because I knew some of their supporters would become smug as ****.

I really enjoy watching Bontempelli but jeez some comments by Bulldogs supporters makes me think it would be nice if he did his knee and watch the tears flow from these few as their dynasty falls apart.

THANKFULLY, I'm not that cold-hearted and hope he does do well, despite the the certain smug fans following him.
Be 10x the player Rob was.
Evidently you're quite the hypocrite.

There isn't much between Murphy and Hayes. They play different roles anyway.

Ok, I'm going to ask because it's been bothering me for a while now.

Can someone please tell me when Murphy went from being a good player to being a champion?

He's never been among the top 10-15 guys in the league - debatable he's ever been the best player at his club that has turned out some pretty average teams (ever won a B&F?), he's gone AA twice, 4 years apart - so not exactly an extended run of excellent form (whether that be for injury or what ever).

He's nearly at 300 games, but he's also been in the league for 16-17 years and plays for club that tends to have a hard time showing the door to it's 'favourite sons'.

Has this 'champion'/'untouchable Bob' just come along hand in hand with the media darling stuff or is he legitimately considered a 'CHAMPION' - even at a Bulldogs level?
Champion bloke. Good player. Sometimes people get confused.

Rob Murphy is an absolute champion. The leadership he has shown this young group who are now premiership players was amazing. You talk to any of them about footy and Bob will be mentioned about 3 sentences in.

A couple of years ago I got a bit sick of the bob love as well and started watching him closely to see if he actually is any good and he's bloody brilliant. His defensive work (which nobody cares about because you're all stat whores) is absolutely first class. His skill in one on contests is bloody amazing.

If you're in the "he's not that good" camp then it's time to roll out the Bulldogs games from 2015 and see how he goes.
AA captain 4 games ago - has been an elite AFL player for a decade now. Probably the most elite user of the ball out of defensive 50 in the last 10 years in the competition, and like you say he can defend one-on-one when required.

Hope the news isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back