Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Soapy V you previously mentioned the Campo twins as being viewed positively internally. Can you expand on that at all?

My personal opinion is that they will both surprise a few people next year & will play at a level higher than expected.

I'm not a draft expert type, so I don't know how good they are. Just an interested observer but both look good to me

Comments by a few at club is they rate both very highly and are happy we won't be paying much for them. Some believe Ben will play next year

Well having a look through all the 'notable names' with big contracts attached that would be considered slightly out of favour or have had rumours of them leaving I've come up with.

Rory Lobb - (2026) - After his 2024 season form he'd be a definite upgrade if he found that level again.

Liam Ryan - (2026) - Injury prone, extraordinarily talented... But WCE wouldn't have any need to dump his salary

Jordan Butts (2026) - Doubt he's on a 'big' contract but does look surplus to their needs, would allow Weiters to play loose.

Jayden Short (2027) - Don't think he's an upgrade on what we've got

Darcy Parish (2028) - Would be a better fit than Kennedy/Hewett in terms of spread from the contest

Jake Lever (2028) - Obviously would be huge

Josh Rachele (2029) - Figjam with massive talent, would be an upgrade on our small fwds

Brennan Cox (2030) - Would be a big upgrade on Young

Clayton Oliver (2030) - Same as Parish but far better player if he could get back to his best with a pre season.

Assuming 'sizeable' is indicating the length of their current deal, these guys seem the most likely:

Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)

Brennan Cox (Fremantle)

Jake Soligo (Adelaide)
Josh Rachele (Adelaide)
Jack Payne (Brisbane)
Harry Himmelberg (GWS Giants)
Josh Kelly (GWS Giants)
Christian Petracca (Melbourne)

Don't think it's either of the GWS boys. Equally don't think it's Payne.
Petracca we already know about.
Both Crows boys originally from VIC, maybe there's some go-home factor there?
Certainly points towards it likely being Naughton or Cox, of which Naughton seems most likely
Which of the above works as a 'salary dump'? We're talking about a club that wants to relive itself of the obligation.

Bit of a curve ball re: Houston

We have been discussing bringing in an established player that we will take over their sizable contract. As such the pick won't be much. Very handy player we need and why we are moving players on

This deal may limit our options with Houston? This is MY assumption

I know the name but have been told not to post it. Sorry. I will when I can

*Mods. I can confirm source if needed
Soapy you’re not saying what I think you’re saying…

Houston, we’ve got a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though not a game changer, would you be happy with it Soapy if you saw it come to eventuate?

I prefer we get players who aren’t game changers and more fit our needs so the team is more cohesive

The club's moving on some plodders to add presumably a quality established player, makes sense lets hope we have some luck with the move.
Austin has to think out of the box, opposition teams are going to improve again, some significantly, next seasons there won't be many easy games, no matter how friendly the draw may be, the competition will even out further.

Which of the above works as a 'salary dump'? We're talking about a club that wants to relive itself of the obligation.

Nobody has mentioned salary dump.
'Sizeable' is the only term used by Soapy.
I'm interpreting that as length of contract and not the $$$'s, simply because I don't think we're in a position to be taking on a salary dump.

Shot in the dark Brayden Fiorini

Soapy you’re not saying what I think you’re saying…

Houston, we’ve got a problem.

I honestly don't know. Everything I'm told is he's not a focus or we have other things to do first

Reading between the lines, I think it's a case of if it works we will do it but we aren't pushing for it. It's being pushed by Houston and his Manager, not us.

The focus for months has been early picks and a couple of mature players to fill gaps and I really don't believe that has changed.

I personally believe Houston wasn't on our radar until recently and given options we already have in works it may be too hard

Just my take

Agree but bringing in a 30+ opposition player will only stifle the development of Kemp and Lemmey. Development which IMO is crucial, especially for Kemp, as he has AFL experience. Also, as I mentioned, lists spots should be for young key development in area's we have deep cover. You can add McG and TdK, if needed.
Totally. I don't see why we should bring in Membrey, more so because I just don't rate him based on his age and his 2024. I think we have more pressing issues and roles to fill as well.

My response was more about having the mindset of only wanting to trust proven production, as opposed to potential, which is what Kemp and Lemmey are playing forward. If McKay or Curnow go down (touch wood they don't), or if SOS isn't what he was, I don't want to to think about Kemp or Lemmey. Speaking to your point above, we are better off using Gov and TDK in the absence of our first choice.

Bit of a curve ball re: Houston

We have been discussing bringing in an established player that we will take over their sizable contract. As such the pick won't be much. Very handy player we need and why we are moving players on

This deal may limit our options with Houston? This is MY assumption

I know the name but have been told not to post it. Sorry. I will when I can

*Mods. I can confirm source if needed
Any sort of clue available on this one Soapy

Well having a look through all the 'notable names' with big contracts attached that would be considered slightly out of favour or have had rumours of them leaving I've come up with.

Rory Lobb - (2026) - After his 2024 season form he'd be a definite upgrade if he found that level again.

Liam Ryan - (2026) - Injury prone, extraordinarily talented... But WCE wouldn't have any need to dump his salary

Jordan Butts (2026) - Doubt he's on a 'big' contract but does look surplus to their needs, would allow Weiters to play loose.

Jayden Short (2027) - Don't think he's an upgrade on what we've got

Darcy Parish (2028) - Would be a better fit than Kennedy/Hewett in terms of spread from the contest

Jake Lever (2028) - Obviously would be huge

Josh Rachele (2029) - Figjam with massive talent, would be an upgrade on our small fwds

Brennan Cox (2030) - Would be a big upgrade on Young

Clayton Oliver (2030) - Same as Parish but far better player if he could get back to his best with a pre season.
I think you're coming at this from just the one angle. but Cox and Lobb are decent shouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back