Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petracca is coming from a long way back. He may not start running until close to Christmas. He's openly admitted that it's affected his mental state which is understandable and he's lost alot of physical conditioning. It's a big gamble to take on the remaining contract and the cost of the trade given the circumstances.

From speaking to someone close to him, physically he’ll be basically the same, it’s all mental at this point, and that no one will truly know till he runs out on the big stage and faces a crunching tackle.

A Question for the collective brains trust in here…

Why does Petracca have to get his full contracted price?
Yes, Melbourne is on the hook for it (& there’s ways to subsidize/reduce that) but if he chooses to renege on the contract, could he not take reduced contract elsewhere?

If he wants out, surely it’s not unreasonable for him to have to take a loss on his contract, especially given his injury & the sheer size of the contract.

If u wanted out badly enough, would it not be plausible to take the loss? Even at $800-900k a season he’s still making a hell of a lot of money & would be set for life after footy?

To be clear, I’m asking about the “mechanics” of a player reducing the contract, not a question about “why would he take less”

Yes, he can renegotiate and take less.

That is a shitload of money to leave on the table, probably around $2 million.
If he was willing to take that hit, that completely changes the value and risk proposition.

From speaking to someone close to him, physically he’ll be basically the same, it’s all mental at this point, and that no one will truly know till he runs out on the big stage and faces a crunching tackle.
… I hope he can still stir pasta in a pot the same way as he used to.

agree. Reckon the pressure trac will put on melbourne will mean they will take under anyway and we wont be forced to deal these players

It’s all speculation at the moment but if & when it happens, Trac would need to nominate his preferred Club whichever Club it may be.

So it’s really wait and see what happens.

Aside from seeing 2 3-flag dynasties in the last 11 years, it's not about the difficulty of building a dynasty.
It's about building a solid consistent list/foundation to give yourself the best chance at winning a flag, by giving yourself more chances of winning, by broadening and extending your window.
Like Geelong & Sydney do.

Geelong do this by constantly trading out 1st round picks, you talk of that here and its blasphemy.

Per The Age, the Club understands the significance of the opportunity (something that seems more of a struggle for some here) and will act aggressively to get a deal done...

I think Melbourne will eventually acknowledge that they’re screwed and will go the rebuild route. They already added a couple of early picks last year, so if they can get another 5 or 6 early picks this year, they’re well on their way.

I don’t think our picks will get it done though. Reckon there is a fair chance that a third club is involved. Think we (and I) would prefer to part with H than TDK (I probably wouldn’t part with TDK), so if we can get two firsts for H and then add ours in, something along those lines would probably see it get done.

Cerra and 2 x firsts - possible and preferable but doubtful and can’t see how we could fit Trac’s salary without offloading one of our highest paid.

Last edited:
Because someone needs to make the difference of kicking a winning score. If we want to go back to finer details lets say 45+ goals a year in which Harry has done for the past 4 years (except 2023). Trac has average 23+ in the past 4 years. We need to make 22 goals quota. Which reliable fwd do we have on the list can achieve that difference?

What do the several clubs above us do, who dont have 1 forward in the same league as Charlie or Harry? If Sydney can finish top with Amartey as their main man and Port can finish second with Marshall, Georgiades and Dixon on a walking frame, how would the sky fall if we lost one of our guys?

Wasn’t a large part of our winning run to the finals last year, playing only one of the big guys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just passing on what someone who normally gives me correct info regarding team selection etc said. TDK is the name being heard a lot regarding petracca trade.
I'd personally throw up.

Eww this one makes me nauseous.

Yes, he can renegotiate and take less.

That is a shitload of money to leave on the table, probably around $2 million.
If he was willing to take that hit, that completely changes the value and risk proposition.
Thank you - not to besmirch the brains trust but you’re actually someone who’s answer I believe! 😂

What do the several clubs above us do, who dont have 1 forward in the same league as Charlie or Harry? If Sydney can finish top with Amartey as their main man and Port can finish second with Marshall, Georgiades and Dixon on a walking frame, how would the sky fall if we lost one of our guys?

Wasn’t a large part of our winning run to the finals last year, playing only one of the big guys?

I don't think the sky will fall if we lose one of them. I think a lot of people undervalue how having 2 premium KPF is. They just need to figure it out.

Sydney - Amartey and Logan
Port - Georgides and Marshall

Most top follow the same blue print running 2 KPF. If anything our delivery to those fwd have been very mediocre if we go back and analysis most games post bye.

edit: we have serious issue when Cripps is our most reliable kick going i50.

Did they overpay for any of them?
Dangerfield and Cameron, their 2 biggest signings both took unders to go there.

Smith was a low cost free agent.
Ollie Henry cost a 2nd rounder and a kid who hasn't played a game.

Brad Ottens was a big trade, 2 late first rounders in 2004.
Salaries aside, the Cats have never been shy in giving up their first round picks for players. It’s a huge part of why they are always challenging. Trading 1st rounders for known quantities lessens risk.

Dangerfield
Cameron x3
Henderson
Touhy
Bruhn
B.Smith (this year)

IMO, we need to be flexible with our list management strategy.

Our window is open for the next 3-5 years, before we possibly fall off a cliff.

In 5 years time: Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Acres, Williams, Kennedy, Hewett, McGovern, Docherty, Weitering, Newman, Saad & Pittonet.

Will all be in their 30s or retired.

There is no way, that we will be able to replace these players with younger versions. With father son commitments, Tassie and maybe Darwin taking all the draft and player concessions..

Our time is now to load up with the best talent we can, to push for 1+ flags in this time.

If that involves moving on players outside our 5 core players than so be it…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back