BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFL div2 better suited to Centrals as they don’t have 19s and not sure they have 17s. South got both. South won’t go WRFL I’m pretty sure. Could they move Riddell??
Melton South should consider WRFL, the tiered / division system would benefit them. Rebuilding is hard (due to points/delayed success) when there is only 1 division.

How have they gotten into this situation in the first place? Don't know a hell of a lot about the club in general, but it is some interesting reading unfortunately.

I think south are in a mess looking from the outside. I think the mid year recruitment of mercanies has backfired spectacularly, I know they were brought in to give a bit of confidence and make the side more competitive, but it's done the opposite. They are ripping the heart out of the club. I think they merge with centrals and play either in either 3 leagues. There's no coming back from where they are now. You can't lose by 170 points to the bottom team, when you are spending that coin to get a side on the park. They'd be spending 5 times the amount more than maryborough are in the bendigo league each week in salary minimum for the same results

Wasn't it only a few years back Fev was playing for South ans they are trundling along OK?

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Fev experiment was a debacle & arguably set them back.
It's part of why some of us groan when they opt for the sugar-hit of pursuing mercenaries ie. the lessons of the past are seemingly not taken onboard.

The Fev experiment was a debacle & arguably set them back.
It's part of why some of us groan when they opt for the sugar-hit of pursuing mercenaries ie. the lessons of the past are seemingly not taken onboard.
Yep I think they give senior footy a miss, develop their juniors and if they've got a good junior program head into the wrfl or riddell.

Yep I think they give senior footy a miss, develop their juniors and if they've got a good junior program head into the wrfl or riddell.
IMO they're coming from a long way back but it's not beyond saving in this comp. Without going too hard, I just question the decision making process at times because they should be fielding a much more competitive side than they are, especially for some of the figures you hear getting thrown about.
If they shift, I'd say WRFL is the way to go as the 2 division setup will allow them scope to go on a slow build.

IMO they're coming from a long way back but it's not beyond saving in this comp. Without going too hard, I just question the decision making process at times because they should be fielding a much more competitive side than they are, especially for some of the figures you hear getting thrown about.
If they shift, I'd say WRFL is the way to go as the 2 division setup will allow them scope to go on a slow build.
I agree it's not beyond saving in the BFL. Redan were similarly destitute in the second half of the nineties and rebuilt into a multiple flag winning, perennial finalist. Sebastopol have been chasing hard for a first flag in recent years yet are only a decade removed from winless seasons.
The usual comment is build from the juniors. Others say you need success to retain good juniors. It's probably a mix of both in reality. And it's hard work and takes a long time so it's about engaging the quality people that will help get the hard work done. Melton bottomed out and stopped paying mercenaries a dozen years ago but it took another six or seven years to bring the good one pointers through to being successful.
I, for one, would like to see MS stay in the league and fight their way back to competitiveness. They've been in the league over 25 years and were one of the stronger Eastern Bloc clubs when they first came in. Be great to see them fight back.

If you look all three grades of senior football have a percentage under 30. Its not like they are competitive or you can see a future in their 3rds. Why are we playing under 19s? Seems ridiculous to me.

So people can say invest in juniors, but if the good melton kids go elsewhere, what do you do? The whole club needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

You need a combination of good juniors and bite the bullet with 6 recruits to steer the ship, you've gotta sign 4 for 2 years too. Phillips runs he's own footy program, you'd think he'd be perfect to be a junior development coach, oversee the kids from under 14s to underv19s. surely it'd be beneficial for both parties (the club and he's business) and then he might commit to the club rather than be involved.

Although gartlett has been at albury 3 years, he hasn't set the oandm alight at all, darley promised the world to north shore, north Hobart, Leeton, Geelong ammos, point cook and wodonga raiders and the most he lasts is a year. That's not who you want to rebuild a footy club.

I'm not sure vespremi is at the stage in he's career to lead young guys. He's more a cherry on top player now, where you can rest him every 3 weeks in a good side.

Instead of a western jets program, it'd be far more beneficial for the afl to actually have a development coach in a growth suburb like melton, run school clinics, get kids and primary school involved in footy and coach the weakest melton team. How many western jets are drafted each year? There'd be lucky to be 5 in 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggestions of playing kids and growing within are well and good if you have kids with talent. South don’t unfortunately.

Enough South talk. Crucial clash this week for Marsh and Redan. I know it’s only round 10, but loser probably won’t make finals. None of the bottom 7 look like beating any of the top 5, so games against similar teams are must wins going forward.

4 of the 5 games this week actually look like good contests on paper. Can’t say we’ve seen that for a while.

If you look all three grades of senior football have a percentage under 30. Its not like they are competitive or you can see a future in their 3rds. Why are we playing under 19s? Seems ridiculous to me.

So people can say invest in juniors, but if the good melton kids go elsewhere, what do you do? The whole club needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

You need a combination of good juniors and bite the bullet with 6 recruits to steer the ship, you've gotta sign 4 for 2 years too. Phillips runs he's own footy program, you'd think he'd be perfect to be a junior development coach, oversee the kids from under 14s to underv19s. surely it'd be beneficial for both parties (the club and he's business) and then he might commit to the club rather than be involved.

Although gartlett has been at albury 3 years, he hasn't set the oandm alight at all, darley promised the world to north shore, north Hobart, Leeton, Geelong ammos, point cook and wodonga raiders and the most he lasts is a year. That's not who you want to rebuild a footy club.

I'm not sure vespremi is at the stage in he's career to lead young guys. He's more a cherry on top player now, where you can rest him every 3 weeks in a good side.

Instead of a western jets program, it'd be far more beneficial for the afl to actually have a development coach in a growth suburb like melton, run school clinics, get kids and primary school involved in footy and coach the weakest melton team. How many western jets are drafted each year? There'd be lucky to be 5 in 5 years.
Problem is mate they have no juniors in Coates league and no aligned home players at VFL besides Jack Watkins and although his aligned with Bloods he is going well at VFL and captain. Also not a lot in 19s that can hold there own in senior BFL footy outside of Pritchard and he needs developing as his only a light body.
So I think they need to move to Riddell and keep what they have and recruit a few.

They can’t survive in BFL at present.

Come and play SOO for Vic Country in the SFA!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back