Best Team for Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

...from an AFL website article:

Lyon said he was also keen to keep young midfielder David Armitage in the side after he played well in his senior first game since round eight.​

To me I must say I thought his game was actually rather disappointing, but good to see Lyon has a little faith in him (which he hasn't in the past).

I really do think he's best 22 when he's playing his best, especially for finals type contested footy.

I'm not sure if he should be selected for finals since we have other options available in good form at the moment, but I agree with Ross wanting to get another game into him - In case he is needed.

If ( knock on wood ) Lenny Hayes or Montagna went down during an earlier final, an Armitage with 2 games back, is better than one with one game back. Maybe the Schneiderman needs a rest , he was pretty ordinary last weekend.

I'm not sure if he should be selected for finals since we have other options available in good form at the moment, but I agree with Ross wanting to get another game into him - In case he is needed.

If ( knock on wood ) Lenny Hayes or Montagna went down during an earlier final, an Armitage with 2 games back, is better than one with one game back. Maybe the Schneiderman needs a rest , he was pretty ordinary last weekend.

was crunched in a marking contest with roo and seemed to suffer some kind of knee injury..was on and off all game so that explains it...

I'm still yet to hear a good argument as to why triple grand finalist premiership player at only 26 years of age Dempster is not in our best 22.

Cam Mooney is a triple premiership player, doesn't necessarily make him a great player. Dempster is a decent player but nothing outstanding, Baker is better as a lock down defender and the likes of Geary, Steven or Armitage offer more offensively.

I can't recall Dempster doing much of note in the GF last year either, although I think he was played out of position up forward which probably didn't help him.

He's a good depth, bench player but nothing more and will struggle to hold his spot with Baker coming back.

My argument against Dempster is RL keeps playing him in the wrong areas.

He's a small defender, and at a pinch a tagging midfielder, but certainly not a pressure/marking forward, as he was used in the Grand Final. Gwilt's a better option in that role.

Baker is ahead of him in terms of shutdown ability, and Geary in terms of versatility.

Not enough love on this thread for Eddie Roberts. Was just starting to look exciting in that mid-sized-third-"tall" role. If his hand comes right, he'll play. Would love to see him in this week, if possible.

agree regarding eddy..would easily play him instead of mini in that forward defensive role with a run on the ball to relieve some pressure off the other guys..

He's a small defender, and at a pinch a tagging midfielder, but certainly not a pressure/marking forward, as he was used in the Grand Final. Gwilt's a better option in that role.

Baker is ahead of him in terms of shutdown ability, and Geary in terms of versatility.

deff agree with him being played out of position..when we meet the cats id like to see us line up on their forwards like this

baker to johnson
fisher to chapman (always plays well against us and fisher has the speed and strength to go with him)
blake to hawkins
zac to mooney
dempster to varcoe
gwilt to take mooney off zac if ottens gets rested in the forward line
gilbert to be the free man floating across and cutting off suply

Eddy will certainly come under consideration, and he was very stiff to get injured after both of his best games for the year (v Fremantle & v North Melbourne). Let's also not forget he has played 5 finals.

However, both McQualter and Eddy shouldn't play in the same team, and I would really like to see Steven get a game, as he has the ability to perform in big games.

B: Baker Gwilt Gilbert
HB: Blake Fisher Gram
C: Ray Goddard Jones
HF: McQualter Rooey Montagna
FF: Milne Kosi Schnieder
F: Gardner Hayes Dal Santo
Int: McEvoy Geary Eddy? Dawson?

just not 100% sure dawson is in our best line up. last time vs geelong our defence was rock solid with blake on mooney and gwilt on pods, granted, dawson playing on a big body allows fisher/gilbert etc to run off more, but against geelong, its not really a problem IMHO.

but bring em on, we're the only real threat to them i feel and let's be honest we have the wood over em, last time we played we both had significant outs, so at full strength will be a brilliant game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Baker Gwilt Gilbert
HB: Blake Fisher Gram
C: Ray Dal Santo Peake
HF: McQualter Rooey Montagna
FF: Milne Kosi Schnieder
F: Gardner Hayes Jones
Int: McEvoy Geary ?? ??

just not 100% sure dawson is in our best line up. last time vs geelong our defence was rock solid with blake on mooney and gwilt on pods, granted, dawson playing on a big body allows fisher/gilbert etc to run off more, but against geelong, its not really a problem IMHO.

but bring em on, we're the only real threat to them i feel and let's be honest we have the wood over em, last time we played we both had significant outs, so at full strength will be a brilliant game!

Hawkins is a much taller unit though, and Dawson may be a good match up for him.
( Or Hawkins might kick half a dozen on him, hell I dont know ).

I wonder if it would be worth Pattison doing some training in the backline over summer. Seems to me he's not a brilliant mark or kick, and he's not quite going to make it as an AFL ruck. With a bit of practise could he be better suited as a defender?

Dawsons number flatter him, he just doesnt want to stand next to his opponent.

he's reasonably pacey for a tallish backman but he cant keep up with a cloke or someone similar on the lead. Leigh Brown killed him ffs and hes an average player.

he just needs to have our lose men dropping back to save him, however, with him in the side it allows us to have a free man lol, so who knows really, big gamble!

Dawsons number flatter him, he just doesnt want to stand next to his opponent.

he's reasonably pacey for a tallish backman but he cant keep up with a cloke or someone similar on the lead. Leigh Brown killed him ffs and hes an average player.

he just needs to have our lose men dropping back to save him, however, with him in the side it allows us to have a free man lol, so who knows really, big gamble!

Yeah, I mean what's Brown and Collingwood done lately? :rolleyes:

Dawson, Baker and Jones are all immediate inclusions if they are fit IMO.

Add Hayes with the above players to the team and Im starting to get a really good feeling about our Finals campaign.

We all have our theories about inclusions and positions and I love that. But I have no doubt Ross and the crew have been precisley timing and planning and coaching with 1 thing in mind. In 2 weeks the rest of the comp is going to see what the Saints are really capable of!

Oh and GO KOSI! you brought a smile to my face from ear to ear on the weekend. Well played champ.

Dempster's not in my 22, he's an emergency (probably the first one to come in if anything goes wrong). However, I think he'd get a game at five out of the top eight teams (Hawks, Swans, Freo, Carlton, Dogs) and he wouldn't be too far out at the top 3. I reckon Freo would kill for Dempster right now Hey, he won a premiership at Sydney and their defense was better back then (not saying it's bad now but they've had some personnel go down) so I think he's better than you give him credit for.

Armo'd be best 22 but it's the lack of match fitness against anything other than a second-rate outfit (no offence to Richmond). I think Dawson is a better option.

McQualter? Debateable, I almost left him out for Armo but the guy's played all year and provides the pressure which we crave. Plus, Ross seems to like him.

Dawson is for structure. We'll be stretched by Geelong's backline in two weeks, with or without Pods. Dawson allows us to allow Fisher/Gwilt to take one of the dangerous smalls.

Since Dawson has been out we've beaten Port, North and Richmond. It might just be me but I don't think that's the best indicator as to whether he's important or not.

But that's just my opinion
when dawson was out earlier we also beat, a team called geelong, infact i think they didnt score a goal in the second half, as for dempster, he trys hard but with baker back in hes not needed, even miles looks a better option, armitage has play 2 vfl games and hopefully 2 afl games bf the finals, bakers coming back after 9weeks with injury in between, so that is no reason to leave armo out

Those that think Dempster isn't best 22 are dreaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Dempster

How many grand finals have you played in??? :p
your argument that he has played in a gf , so he is good , just shows that u have no idea, sorry to be blunt, but for a start it was 3 or 4 hrs ago, every gf winning team isnt made of 22 great players, schnieder is a gf player, didnt help him when missing those easy goals last year, i dont mind u having an opinion on dempster being in our best 22, but i do mind ur reasons for that , hes a gf player so f.... wat

when dawson was out earlier we also beat, a team called geelong, infact i think they didnt score a goal in the second half, as for dempster, he trys hard but with baker back in hes not needed, even miles looks a better option, armitage has play 2 vfl games and hopefully 2 afl games bf the finals, bakers coming back after 9weeks with injury in between, so that is no reason to leave armo out

That was a crap night for key forwards. Was raining sporadically for most of the first half and even when it stopped it was still crap. None of the key forwards on the ground kicked any goals, not even ours, so you can't use that game as an example.

Dempster isn't needed, I know. I have him as an emergency, not playing. Not against Dempster but four players need to go out and I feel Geary and Peake are ahead of him.

Is Armitage best 22? It's hard to fit Geary, Dawson, McQualter, Peake, Armitage, Eddy, Steven, Dempster, Stanley and Miles into four spots, and considering Geary and Peake's record this year, it's even harder to fit Dawson, McQualter, Eddy, Steven, Dempster, Stanley and Miles into two spots. (Gwilt, Fisher, Gilbert, Blake, Baker, Gram, Dal Santo, Montagna, Hayes, Goddard, Ray, Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Milne, Schneider, Gardiner, McEvoy and Jones being our best 18 without a doubt in my mind).

It all comes down to who you think is the better fit. I think Dawson, McQualter, Peake and Geary are the bottom four we bring into September and you have a different view which is fine. Either way, I know Ross will make the right calls so I'm happy no matter what.

PS: Dawson/Dempster is 50/50. Horses for courses, as some of the other guys have said.

...just quietly, as i have a bit of vested interest in the saints:

For Finals
Dempster > Dawson
provides better value with his disposal, his decision making, his marking, etc.
Dawson was very good last finals series but lacks confidence and could cost you guys.
Blake and Fisher and Gwilt can hold down the fort against opposition talls...of which there aren't really any juggernauts, besides Hall. and you're unlikely to meet the doggies at all.

Armitage > Geary
hasn't played nearly as much this year, but i believe will give a lot more in the area of contested ball, hardness, defensive pressure, etc. as well as general value
could really step up and give quality output alongside Hayes in the engine room like you guys have wanted all year. Geary isn't the most influential player with the footy, he wouldn't be a great loss.

the 4 Ins this week are obvious

We need the medium defender without Raph Clarke. He needs to work a shutdown role on the faster players that can get away from us. I remember him being a decent tagger.

He was getting beaten a fair bit when he first came back from his knee and found it difficult to get his hands on the footy but now his mobility is back he's a feared tackler once again. :D

195221.jpg

Armitage > Geary
hasn't played nearly as much this year, but i believe will give a lot more in the area of contested ball, hardness, defensive pressure, etc. as well as general value
could really step up and give quality output alongside Hayes in the engine room like you guys have wanted all year. Geary isn't the most influential player with the footy, he wouldn't be a great loss.

the 4 Ins this week are obvious

Agree with you on Dempster > Dawson :thumbsu:

Disagree with Armitage. He will be a passenger.

It's really infortunate we dropped him to the VFL and he got injured but we can't turn back the clock now and he will need time to recover and a full preseason behind him to get back to his best.

Geary is the same age and fit and ready to play finals. We really need a big effort from him, we know how fast he can be he just needs to go hard at the footy. You can't question Armo's hardness at the footy but we need 100% fit players to make the zone work.

In modern times you can't carry injured guys. It's top speed all game now with unlimited rotation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Team for Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back