Beamer to test waters of free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yes, absolutely. Then let's go out back together and shoot ourselves :eek:

Jamar said on gameday a few weeks back that he would sign a contract if it was put in front of him. The club hasn't offered him one yet, because of all the shit that has been going down in the administration.

Hence my refrence to the dog with no bite. You hear a lot from Brent on the field but unfortunatley his lack of desire to do anything of a defensive nature isnt what this team needs to be guided by. I understand he is a valuable player for our team (clearence work) but he isnt the kind of guy id be keeping around for intangibles. James McDonald gave us intangibles and that sure as shit didnt save him.

He's a 300k -350k worth of player, no more, if he wants his pay day, power to him, but i wont be crying if he walks.

Bang on.

It's a fair price for his ability/weaknesses and we shouldn't budge on that regardless of how much PR/media heat his manager puts on.

Yze, Green, Bruce and Davey have played that game and we've paid the price.

Why is everyone slagging Beamer!!!

He has been a servant in a very poor team over the past few years. Sure he may have lost a bit of passion for the club and it's showing in his performances, but it is hard to keep you head up when you are getting 10 clearances a week and still getting smashed!!!

We now have more 'Moloney' type players going through the midfield, he is now in a fairly unfamiliar role/situation, which will take time to adjust.

Not sure what his price is, but over the past decade (since the woewodin days) we have let good clubman go, and i think this would be another prime example..

He and Jamar are shown the door, then that would be it for me and the Dees!

I am thoroughly enjoying this discussion and there are two sides to the Beamer story. One is that he loves the club and has a crack. He can be an on field leader, win the contested ball and use it relatively well. On the other hand he is a downhill skier who can go missing when the heat is on and is slow for the modern game.

Loved the reference to players like Yze, Davey, Woewodin etc - blokes that we just couldn't allow to leave the club and we gave them big contracts that they never got close to living up to like we wanted them to. Do we do the same with Moloney?

Have a feeling the club will go with what they believe is fair and not budge from that, much like we did with Bruce and we all know how that has worked out for him. If someone wants to pay him big bucks then so be it but I don't see that happening. 80% chance he stays.

Have a feeling the club will go with what they believe is fair and not budge from that, much like we did with Bruce and we all know how that has worked out for him. If someone wants to pay him big bucks then so be it but I don't see that happening. 80% chance he stays.
I agree and that is all the club can do.

The reality is that f/a will be exploited by managers as with this tool using Moloney as a guinea pig for the f/a movement.

Managers are out for themselves and "floating" Moloney (or any other player) around and playing 1 club against another goes against the original spirit of f/a which was about making it easier for eligible players to move to certain clubs of their choice - not a cash grab exercise to hold your current club to ransom in the hip pocket.

Moloney now has to put up with everything that comes his way for the rest of the year and tbh he's brought it on himself. Not sure he's thought this through at all and clearly his manager doesn't give a stuff about him apart from the money he can make.

The club can not compromise the way it goes about things simply to appease managers (pimps). If all clubs took a stand it would quash this bs rather quickly rather than hyperinflate salary caps - whether that happens I don't know. Clubs don't mind playing other clubs but I don't think they'll collectively like being played by player managers.

Offer Brent what he is worth to us and if he and his manager want to chase the dollar then let him go it's that simple. Will not shed a tear.

Honestly, I don't care who they are, and what their excuse is. For any player to leave the club during the current "crisis", which would be for that exact reason; obviously doesn't give a **** about the Melbourne Football Club. We stick tight, and stay together during the toughest of times. We don't go **** off to another club and watch it die.

So with that being said, I love Brent Moloney, always have, will always be one of my favorites. BUT; if he leaves the Dees now, in the toughest of times, I don't care how passionate he claimed to be for this club, he too, can join the Scully camp... and get ****ED!

If you love the club, you don't watch it die. You do not walk away. You stay till the very end. If they wanna leave, and give up? Good luck to em. I'm staying. Forever and Always. GO DEES!

(BTW: I honestly don't believe Moloney will walk. But IF he does, see above. LOL)

Honestly, I don't care who they are, and what their excuse is. For any player to leave the club during the current "crisis", which would be for that exact reason; obviously doesn't give a **** about the Melbourne Football Club. We stick tight, and stay together during the toughest of times. We don't go **** off to another club and watch it die.

So with that being said, I love Brent Moloney, always have, will always be one of my favorites. BUT; if he leaves the Dees now, in the toughest of times, I don't care how passionate he claimed to be for this club, he too, can join the Scully camp... and get ****ED!

If you love the club, you don't watch it die. You do not walk away. You stay till the very end. If they wanna leave, and give up? Good luck to em. I'm staying. Forever and Always. GO DEES!

(BTW: I honestly don't believe Moloney will walk. But IF he does, see above. LOL)

Yep, well said. I think this Free Agency thing will be exploited by player managers for sure. And you're totally spot on about the intention was to make it easier for players to move to a club of choice(ie; Luke Ball to Collingwood). However, the first signs from the Moloney camp is that of 'shopping' around, which I don't believe was the intention of the new rule. This has the potential to polarise the weaker clubs. We'll see exactly just how much Beamer loves the Dees at the end of the season. I have a feeling either Neeld doesn't rate him that highly, or Moloney just hasn't clicked with him. I think he's more of a chance to leave than to stay.

I've become more and more frustrated with the AFL tbh. I still think the sub rule is rediculous. The tribunal and review panel hardly ever get it right, and this free agency thing really has the potential to turn our league into a similar lopsided competition to that of the Premier League. Yes, we still have a salary cap, but the stronger clubs will always have more 'pull' in regards to poaching players. I've always loved watching players develop. We draft them, then we sit back and gloat over the good players and defend the duds. I have a feeling we will be watching them develop into good footballers, then get poached by a Collingwood or an Essendon because the player want to play in front of bigger crowds or play in Grand Finals. Good luck to that player, but we as Melbourne supporters take the hit because we're not as 'sexy' as the bigger clubs.

I know there has always been player movements. Christ, It all really began with Melbourne when Barass left us. But this 'shopping' around of Moloney and his manager is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth and free agency is still months away from beginning.

Honestly, I don't care who they are, and what their excuse is. For any player to leave the club during the current "crisis", which would be for that exact reason; obviously doesn't give a **** about the Melbourne Football Club. We stick tight, and stay together during the toughest of times. We don't go **** off to another club

VXUhW.jpg

oXS0U.gif

And our continued strong membership in the face of these on-field troubles this year is a testament to that fact. As are the six consecutive membership records set by us within the last six years.

We also have to remember that while we've had plenty of problems on the field, off the field, the club is as strong as it has ever been.

Is this a direct quote of Moloney?

It came from a source relatively close to him. We were discussing the D's changes against the Tigers, the comments went along the lines of if the Tigers run they will destroy Melbourne followed by comments on the game plan.

I got home late last night and caught 360 with Maclure going pretty hard at Neeld.

I am pretty sure that things aren't right amomgst the coach and the senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It came from a source relatively close to him. We were discussing the D's changes against the Tigers, the comments went along the lines of if the Tigers run they will destroy Melbourne followed by comments on the game plan.

I got home late last night and caught 360 with Maclure going pretty hard at Neeld.

I am pretty sure that things aren't right amomgst the coach and the senior players.

They shouldnt be right, this is the playing group who played in Geelong last year.... They need to harden up or **** off

They shouldnt be right, this is the playing group who played in Geelong last year.... They need to harden up or **** off

Agreed. Our players have been too precious for decades. Neeld & co have come in with a clear plan, and if the players don't like him or the plan, then f*** right off. I think the supporters like this hardness approach from the coach. I'm sure some home truth's have been said behind close doors and some players have taken a hit to their pride. Well, suck it up...

In other words, we are on a straight line and we will not deviate. Anyone who doesn't want to be on that straight line can, to emphasise it once more, **** off.

Agreed. Our players have been too precious for decades. Neeld & co have come in with a clear plan, and if the players don't like him or the plan, then f*** right off. I think the supporters like this hardness approach from the coach. I'm sure some home truth's have been said behind close doors and some players have taken a hit to their pride. Well, suck it up...

You are right in what you are saying, but can you afford to rebuild again if everyone jumps off, haven't you guys been through enough already????

You are right in what you are saying, but can you afford to rebuild again if everyone jumps off, haven't you guys been through enough already????

I'm not sure a rebuild is the right word. With the kids we have(Trengove, Grimes, Watts, Gysberts, Strauss, Tapscott, Bennell, Gawn, Blease, Morton, Howe, McDonald, Cook, Fitzpatrick, McKenzie etc) we have the core base of a good team. And this will include another few first round draft picks next season. So a Moloney or Jamar(or even both) leaving won't hurt us as much as what people think. I don't think Jamar will go anyway, but I have a gut feeling Moloney will leave us. Nathan Jones has become a better version of Moloney already this season, so I don't think it will be a big loss, especially with Magner looking good at this level.

Just becuase we don't have half a dozen players nearing 30, doesn't mean we have zero experience on our list. Frawley, Jones, Petterd, Garland, Rivers, Sylvia, Clark, Magner have all been around football clubs long enough now to be labelled experienced players. And with the possibility of Green and Davey still on our list next season, we have enough experience.

As people have previously stated in that Moloney this is the last big dollar contract (if not last contract). His manager is using a strategic bargaining chip which previously was not really available in the AFL before (Free Agency).

If Moloney was just about money, I would suggest that any club that wanted him would be looking at paying him 20% greater than what Melbourne would be prepared to pay for a move to be contemplated. Say if melb offered $400k (just rounding to make this easy for me), another team would need to offer $480k - and an interstate club probably a bit more on top of that.

I cant see a club offerring that much more for a good player like him on what Melbourne would. At this age of his career if he was contemplating a move it would be to a club that he would consider would be in contention for a premiership. Most of these clubs have limited money to provide to players, as such they wouldnt over pay.

As such the only reason he would really leave (whcih I dont think he will) is if he
1. fell out with the coach
2. Wanted a crack at a premiership and was willing to except a lot less money than what Melbourne could offer.

As people have previously stated in that Moloney this is the last big dollar contract (if not last contract). His manager is using a strategic bargaining chip which previously was not really available in the AFL before (Free Agency).

If Moloney was just about money, I would suggest that any club that wanted him would be looking at paying him 20% greater than what Melbourne would be prepared to pay for a move to be contemplated. Say if melb offered $400k (just rounding to make this easy for me), another team would need to offer $480k - and an interstate club probably a bit more on top of that.

I cant see a club offerring that much more for a good player like him on what Melbourne would. At this age of his career if he was contemplating a move it would be to a club that he would consider would be in contention for a premiership. Most of these clubs have limited money to provide to players, as such they wouldnt over pay.

As such the only reason he would really leave (whcih I dont think he will) is if he
1. fell out with the coach
2. Wanted a crack at a premiership and was willing to except a lot less money than what Melbourne could offer.

I honestly cant see which premiership contender Moloney could help to be honest

So many examples in history of guys chasing flags that just backfires

A recent one, Cameron Bruce

Bruce would be one of the first selected still at Melbourne and would be getting 25 + touches a week

Instead, he's going to finish his career in the twos

How he even got another year with Hawthorn still baffles me

I honestly cant see which premiership contender Moloney could help to be honest

So many examples in history of guys chasing flags that just backfires

A recent one, Cameron Bruce

Bruce would be one of the first selected still at Melbourne and would be getting 25 + touches a week

Instead, he's going to finish his career in the twos

How he even got another year with Hawthorn still baffles me

100% this. Said it at the time. If he wants to go finish off his career playing for a club who's fans won't even remember he played for them (premiership or not) 5 years later, then go for it.

Now he can't even break into a backline that has been savaged by injury. Could have stayed with us for the same length of contract essentially, been a "one club player" and been (by and large) fondly remembered by those that support the redlegs - even though he did frustrate at times with his disposal toward the end.

I am still flabbergasted with his decision. Seems to me that he overrated himself

100% this. Said it at the time. If he wants to go finish off his career playing for a club who's fans won't even remember he played for them (premiership or not) 5 years later, then go for it.

Now he can't even break into a backline that has been savaged by injury. Could have stayed with us for the same length of contract essentially, been a "one club player" and been (by and large) fondly remembered by those that support the redlegs - even though he did frustrate at times with his disposal toward the end.

I am still flabbergasted with his decision. Seems to me that he overrated himself

Don't think it was a case of him over rating himself but wanting more money and a longer contract. We didn't want to do that, we offered him the one year deal and he walked. His problem, not ours. We stood by him and gave him great contracts over the journey and when his career comes to a close he walks. Soft option.

Same with Moloney. If he walks now then I'd be annoyed that he couldn't repay the huge faith we showed in him by not only trading for him but sticking by him when he could barely get on the park for 2 years.

How fickle some players can be.

The most annoying thing for me, is that at home It's got to the point where the old man has lost all hope in Melbourne. He thinks ALL our players are leaving. Thinks the club is going under. Thinks the players hate the coach. The man's lost it. I seen him after work last night, and I was subject to the biggest rant of all time. Try defending Melbourne under that fire, it was impossible! Never seen him that bad before, which is scary. Never even seen him half this faithless before, very strange. But I, unlike him, refuse to believe it. To me, he has no idea whatsoever! There's no way the Demons go under. It's just one of those times. And as far as Free Agency goes; if any player for whatever reason doesn't want to be there, in my opinion? Let 'em go. I'd rather have players that WANT to be there, then those who don't.

I can't believe some of the shit I am reading about Moloney.

The article never had a quote from him above thinking of leaving. It is all his manager talking about it, means nothing.

The bloke can be a little inconsistant and may not be a Gary Ablett type, but he would get a game in probably every team in the league. No doubts about that.

Whoever it was that called him a front runner, you are a flog. Very rarely do we win without him being best on ground or close too. Last year he won the b&f and finished 5th in the brownlow and people are willing to let him go? Laughable.

The manager did a huge backflip in that interview.
at the start he was eluding to the fact that he's had contact with other clubs and Brent is keen to hear an offer to see what he's worth - then when pressed on the issue further, he says brent wants to stay at MFC.

I'd be changing management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Beamer to test waters of free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back