Opinion Ask Janus!

Remove this Banner Ad

You think we aren’t even close. I look at the strength of our fixture and see it’s the fourth hardest in the league after Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne in terms of the teams we’ve had to play twice, whereas teams like Brisbane, GWS and Geelong are in the six weakest double up opponents.

It’s because all the teams in the top eight have double ups against opponents that are clearly weaker than them at this point in time.

Brisbane has Gold Coast and Hawthorn (who only made top four on the strength of their weak fixture last year).

GWS has Gold Coast and Sydney.

Geelong has Sydney and Adelaide.

West Coast has Fremantle and Adelaide.

Adelaide has St Kilda and Gold Coast.

These teams were gifted four wins at the start of the season before a ball was even bounced. All they needed to do was split the other games at worst, and that’s 7 wins and halfway to finals.

We, on the other hand, have only won 2 out of our 8 games so far. We can go 4 out of 10.

After this year, you’ll find that we get the soft fixture to ensure at least one team from the South Australian market qualifies for finals. They went with Adelaide this year because they thought they would bounce back. But you can see it in the media narrative about Port Adelaide building something, which is what they were saying about Brisbane last year.

Our double ups are against teams currently 3rd, 4th, 8th, 12th and 13th.

In the first 2 fixtures against 3rd and 4th, we were in a really strong position and pissed it away. Even in the games against 8th, 12th and 13th, we're 2-2.

We can't reliably beat average sides. How are we close to a flag? A soft fixture just gives us another 2017 situation where we are way above our station in 5th and get bundled out week 1. Scraping into the 8 based on a favourable fixture isn't really my idea of success.

Heard that one before so I won't answer

The thing with that quiz is, I scored an 8... but I'm absolutely sure that 10-15 years ago I would have scored >20, before my perspective changed on life. A lot of the questions seem to be asking about maturity rather than genuine psychopathic behaviour. So I'm just not sure it actually measures what it thinks it measures.

This will sort out whether you lot are psychopaths or not. Post your answers below.

View attachment 723612
Simples, killing her sister will mean another funeral and a strong chance the man will be there again. Which provides another opportunity for her to get to talk to the guy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard that one before so I won't answer

The thing with that quiz is, I scored an 8... but I'm absolutely sure that 10-15 years ago I would have scored >20, before my perspective changed on life. A lot of the questions seem to be asking about maturity rather than genuine psychopathic behaviour. So I'm just not sure it actually measures what it thinks it measures.

Those questions are exactly the questions a psychologist would ask to determine psychotic behaviour. It’s called the Hare Psychopathy Checklist. A psychopath doesn’t care about right or wrong and so wouldn’t think about lying on the test because there’s no reason to do so.

But if you want a real test, here’s one:

You are standing on a bridge over a tram track. In the distance, you see a tram that has lost control and is going too fast for the bend just beyond the bridge...which would result in the 5 people on board being killed.

The only way to save them is to stop the tram by placing something with enough mass to activate the emergency collision system. You aren’t heavy enough...but you are standing next to a large man who is leaning over the rail of the bridge watching the horror unfold.

Do you push the man onto the tracks, killing him...or do you let 5 people die?

Those questions are exactly the questions a psychologist would ask to determine psychotic behaviour. It’s called the Hare Psychopathy Checklist. A psychopath doesn’t care about right or wrong and so wouldn’t think about lying on the test because there’s no reason to do so.

But if you want a real test, here’s one:

You are standing on a bridge over a tram track. In the distance, you see a tram that has lost control and is going too fast for the bend just beyond the bridge...which would result in the 5 people on board being killed.

The only way to save them is to stop the tram by placing something with enough mass to activate the emergency collision system. You aren’t heavy enough...but you are standing next to a large man who is leaning over the rail of the bridge watching the horror unfold.

Do you push the man onto the tracks, killing him...or do you let 5 people die?

This is just a variation of the classic trolley problem. It’s a crafted ethical dilemma and definitely not a psychopath test.

I'm an overwhelmingly positive person who can find positives in anything. I'm overwhelmingly positive about the quality of our list and believe it can win now, and should have been competing for the last half a decade. I am very wary of blaming individual players for what has been underperformance across the board bar Robbie Gray.

When we aren't even close, you start analysing why.

For what it's worth, if Janus decides to step away for his own sanity that's absolutely fine, but I've always said the board is weaker without him.
I concur in totum!

Is this another Magpiespower family anecdote?

That was almost me, lol.

But the day of Mum’s funeral I told the fam to keep my sister away from me or I was gonna push her and her wheelchair in front of the bus that went by the funeral home.

Still disappointed she didn’t dramatically fake faint in the front row, toppling out of her wheelchair, when I read the eulogy, tho.

That little bet cost me a hundred bucks farken...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back