Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think the pies are in trouble, but one thing is for sure i hope the players underestimate us like the majority of pies posters on these boards.

Geezuz, you cats people are more obsessed with Collingwood than your own side. It's called envy. Just admit it. Then you all can seek help...

The Pies are definitely in trouble. You don't win Premierships with players carrying so many injury concerns. Just doesn't happen unless you get to play against a rubbish side such as Brisbane did in 2003. Not to mention all the other side issues that have festered all season.

Jolly is the biggest issue. He has really struggled since returning from the knee injury. Wood lacks physical presence and will get monstered in the finals if he plays.

Collingwood's form has also dropped dramatically in the last 6 weeks. We were very unconvincing against Brisbane and a depleted Dockers team in particular. It will take a plethora of injuries to the Cats and Hawks for the Pies to win it this year.

With no Thomas, next week is really up for grabs against West Coast. Going back to back was always going to be very difficult. It's rare to get a good run with injuries 2 years running.

Potting the pies on Friday's night performance is as silly as potting the cats on their loss to the swans the week before. There were only two teams with anything to play for this weekend and they were the Saints trying to secure a home final and the Swans trying to pressure them into a loss so they get the home final.

Having said that, 96 points is a worry. I am sure that was not planned and a lot of the damage was done when the pies were in the game. Only time will tell.

More worryingly for the pies however are the personnel issues. Shaw has been missing for 8 weeks, Maxwell will not come back 100% (played Friday one hander from all reports), Jolly seems sore, Tarrant will be sore, Daisy is missing, a handful of others have problems. The line up is very unsettled and has been for a while and history suggests that to win the whole thing you need a fit and healthy list accross the park. Have the pies got this? I fully expect them to turn the pressure up about 10 notches next week but.....????

As most posters have pointed out, the loss on Friday means very little. What should be (and I'd have all the tea in China Malthouse and co are already over this) is

1. Both times the Pies have played the Cats this year, they have been flogged for inside 50's and other key stats. Yes Pendles was lucky to not have his goal allowed in the first encounter, but fact is Collingwood were completely outplayed for the majority of the night. That plus the repeat of that and many other stats on Friday wont have escaped MM's attention.

2. No matter if it's a dead rubber or if you have players out, you NEVER want to see your side bend over and put in a completely insipid performance. I am in no way a Buckley fan, but I never ever saw him put in a performance like many Pies players did on Friday night. He'd be off that. Champion players dont turn up to stargaze and get bent over. It is weak. Fair enough get beaten by 6 goals, but to get flogged by 16 goals, dead rubber or not, is insipid and weak and not something I would imagine Buckley would be thrilled about or would want to tolerate. So for l the blase Pies nuffies on this board telling us it is fine and a dead rubber blah blah blah, Id imagine the coaching staff would be feeling somewhat differently about it.

3. Jolly looks cooked. And not just on Fridays performance. He has looked stuffed for weeks. He is a massive key for the Pies and his form or injury or whatever it is would be a massive concern. And again, for the 1 eyed Pies assuring themselves he will just "flick the switch", if you have played any footy yourself, you would know that it just simply doesn't work like that. There is a reason Wood has played so much footy lately. Jolly is stuffed.

4. Other injury concerns. Yes everyone has players carrying niggles, but the Pies seem to have a few that are lingering a little too long. They'd be concerned about Davis missing a couple of weeks in a row. Maxwell if he comes up will not be 100% - in fitness or form. He was horrible before the injury and could come in as skipper and be a liability. Not ideal. Daisy missing the first final hurts. He is imo their 2nd most important player, behind Cloke.

In thinking about all this as I type it, I am remembering the Cats season in 2008 and it was similar - scarily so. lost one game for the h&a season and then came into the finals having tapered off in form a little - as the Pies have -(lets be really honest here the Pies first half of the season was way more impressive to watch than the last 6 to 8 weeks - a close win over Bris and other good but not amazing victories) and injury concerns with Ottens (see Jolly) and the improving form of a classic rival from previous years (Hawks being the Cats rival in in 08, Cats being the Pies rival in 11)

History has a funny way of replicating itself. Now I could be totally wrong and probably am, but I am seeing genuine issues for the Pies that anyone without black and white glasses would also be seeing. The Eagles wont get a better chance to roll the Pies on the G than they will this weekend. Will be a lot closer than most think.

nothing has changed as we near the end of dead rubber round

collingwood will play either haw or geel in the GF, depending on who wins next fri night. on the day any of the 2 combatants is capable of winning the GF

Collingwood should beat Hawthorn in the GF. Not sure if they can beat Geelong though, maybe after losing both matchups vs the Cats in 2011 maybe its 3rd time lucky for the Pies when it matters most.

Facts:

1. It was a dead rubber, and Collingwood did not run and chase and pressure after they got down in the 2nd quarter.

2. Once Geelong got on top, they didn't take the foot off the pedal and cruise to a 5 goal win. Instead they chose to stick the boot in and crush the Pies, who had quite evidently put the cue in the rack.

What does this all mean? Nothing in terms of ladder position, and premiership chances. All it means is Geelong now think they have the game plan to trouble the Pies - something they probably didn't think going into the game. Its also created doubt in the Pies camp that they aren't as bulletproof as they think.

If Friday night created a little doubt in the minds of Collingwood players, then thats a good result for the cats and the rest of the competition. The pies are still by far the team to beat and it will take any team's best to bring them down in a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood should beat Hawthorn in the GF. Not sure if they can beat Geelong though, maybe after losing both matchups vs the Cats in 2011 maybe its 3rd time lucky for the Pies when it matters most.

we lost both match ups to the bombers in 1990 too.And we beat them in the grand final.In october. Just sayin

Man oh man I hope you lose on Friday Night.

But as Cats supporters usually do when they lose they wont turn up on here.

I notice you had no actual reasoning to any of the points I raised as to why the Pies are struggling and will probably get rolled on the weekend. Only baseless rhetoric. (dictionary ap on your smartphone will help you understand these big words) Hope all you like. Cats will belt the Hawks by 6 goals plus, and the Eagles will get over the Pies by 2 t0 3 goals. I would actually sooner the Pies win to be honest as Id love to get them in the GF rather than the PF. Will hurt them more to beat em in a GF. We've smacked em in a couple of PF's already...

Facts:

1. It was a dead rubber, and Collingwood did not run and chase and pressure after they got down in the 2nd quarter.

2. Once Geelong got on top, they didn't take the foot off the pedal and cruise to a 5 goal win. Instead they chose to stick the boot in and crush the Pies, who had quite evidently put the cue in the rack.

What does this all mean? Nothing in terms of ladder position, and premiership chances. All it means is Geelong now think they have the game plan to trouble the Pies - something they probably didn't think going into the game. Its also created doubt in the Pies camp that they aren't as bulletproof as they think.

If Friday night created a little doubt in the minds of Collingwood players, then thats a good result for the cats and the rest of the competition. The pies are still by far the team to beat and it will take any team's best to bring them down in a final.

Your post does not belong on the internet. It is too logical.

I notice you had no actual reasoning to any of the points I raised as to why the Pies are struggling and will probably get rolled on the weekend. Only baseless rhetoric. (dictionary ap on your smartphone will help you understand these big words) Hope all you like. Cats will belt the Hawks by 6 goals plus, and the Eagles will get over the Pies by 2 t0 3 goals. I would actually sooner the Pies win to be honest as Id love to get them in the GF rather than the PF. Will hurt them more to beat em in a GF. We've smacked em in a couple of PF's already...
Awesome post! :thumbsu:

Hawks will beat the cats by 13 points, collingwood will cruise to another 10 goal final win.
What happened in last years prelim? or is it only the years before which matter? :rolleyes: Gonna love bigfooty next weekend with no geelong supporters...

Awesome post! :thumbsu:

Hawks will beat the cats by 13 points, collingwood will cruise to another 10 goal final win.
What happened in last years prelim? or is it only the years before which matter? :rolleyes: Gonna love bigfooty next weekend with no geelong supporters...

Its cool that you're excited and a supporter etc... but if you scroll back a page or so, you'll see a detailed post from me that outlines several reasons the Pies are struggling. You can come on here barracking all you like, but people who actually understand footy are aware the Pies have problems at the moment. But I really do understand that ignorance is bliss...;)

Posted this earlier on another thread. I think it's quite pertinent right at the moment.

Some interesting numbers....

Only once has an eventual premier been beaten by 100 points during the season - Essendon defeated Carlton at Windy Hill by 100 points in round 3 1945. Next worst - Adelaide beat Hawthorn at Football Park by 86 points in their first ever game - round 1 1991.

Worst loss by an eventual premier in the last 4 rounds - Hawthorn defeated Collingwood by 83 points at Waverley in round 20 1990.

Worst loss by an eventual premier in the last round - Essendon defeated Fitzroy by 61 points at East Melbourne in 1904. Only other margins over 40 points - South defeated Richmond by 54 points at the Lake Oval in 1980 and Footscray defeated Melbourne by 40 points at the Western Oval in 1964.

Notice that all of these losses were away games (or neutral games).

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back