Preview Approaching Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I have the same feeling after tonight as when we were going into face Geelong.

They were undefeated and had just come off a loss to Essendon, I was confident we could get the job done. They also didn't have Selwood just like the pies don't have Thomas.

Now the big difference is we don't play at home, however I have a feeling we could win this one. Not overly confident, but maybe enough to tip us to snatch a win from the minor premiers.

I don't care about the scoreline its all about the injuries. What happened to tarrant and cloke?

They were mothballed. They'll play.

Cloke was put in cotton wool for sure, he's too important. Copped a knee from Milburn just above the inside left of his left knee. Probably just a minor corky.

Tarrent I noticed was wearing runner style boots, the type players wear if they already are carrying an ankle injury. Looks like it got twisted and he was in plenty of discomfort, was able to hobble off but was subbed out. Chances are he will play next week but even if he does he will most definately be playing with a jab and under a cloud.

The Pies backline is their weakness right now. Not settled, could have Maxwell and Shaw back after missed plenty of footy, Tarrent propy and N Brown not available. Leon out with a hammie raises questions as well, more likely rested as a precaution more than anything.

If we can get the ball inside 50 and lock it in we would give ourselves a huge chance.

wtf?? losing this week isnt going to influence how they play next week...its a final! They were gonna be pumped regardless. The only thing it does is show us that they are not unbeatable.

gosh..if you say so!?..
and they certainly didnt need to be pumped up for tonite?
seems odd that the no.1 team-nearly unbeaten all season,get smashed in a dead rubber match,a week before the finals..
my point was aimed at those that think pies will be a walkover because of tonite.....we already knew they were beatable before this game..who the hell knows which pies will turn up..its all speculation until game day.

Their Ruckman were terrible. This is an area where you have a huuuuuuuge advantage. If Nicnat and cox play at their best you have a great chance.
If it turns out they weren't trying because the game was a dead rubber then they'd have to be insane. You should never flirt with you form and if they dont know that then this season may have just turned on its head.

Go Eagles!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood are looking a bit wobbly :)

When you consider that

They got flogged by the Cats
Struggled against Brisbane the week before
Daisy out suspended
Shaw would lack touch after missing 8 games
Dawes underdone
Maxwell and Tarrant under an injury cloud, possibly Davis as well
Jolly out of form
Possible unrest regarding Malthouse with the coaching issue

Still going to very difficult to beat though

I see last nights result as a positive for us. Sure it was dead rubber, but as others have already mentioned, Collingwood will be fired up next week because it's a final not because they got flogged last night. All that last night's result show's is that they're not unbeatable and that will give every other team the confidence to know that if you show up with your A game against them then you're a chance.

Collingwood are looking a bit wobbly :)

When you consider that

They got flogged by the Cats
Struggled against Brisbane the week before
Daisy out suspended
Shaw would lack touch after missing 8 games
Dawes underdone
Maxwell and Tarrant under an injury cloud, possibly Davis as well
Jolly out of form
Possible unrest regarding Malthouse with the coaching issue

Still going to very difficult to beat though

If the Cats can win by 96 we can win by 1 point.:):thumbsu:

Pies are not undefeatable.

As long as we can get off to a good start they will now have doubt lingering in the back of their minds.

Almost every game bar a couple we've let the opposition side kick the first, if not first couple of goals.

This worries me against Collingwood. They'll end up 6 goals up at qtr time a la St. Kilda with a much stronger side that we'd struggle to reign in as opposed to St. Kilda who went missing for most of the match past qtr time (I realise we still lost, just an example). I can't see Collingwood phasing out like that, regardless of all this nonsense talk I've seen about Collywobbles and injuries and off-field drama etc.

You're exactly right that we need to stamp some authority on the game early on, and manage to keep the tempo up for the other three quarters. We can't afford to go on a holiday and then play catch up against Collingwood, as we pretty much have most of the year. We did it well against Geelong, a similar performance is required for Collingwood.

We did that, in front of a sell-out home crowd on our preferred ground, which was great, but to do it on the MCG, which let's be honest, doesn't really suit our game at all, will be HUGE.

We can dominate the game early through our ruck duo. We really need to make them hurt in that area, and not end up just winning the ruck only to tap it down to four Collingwood midfielders, which again, I'm sure we've all noticed has happened a little. Although, it does seem to be getting better.

Regardless, I think we'll finally play four quarters of good football, that I think we all know we are just an ants penis away of pulling off.

NicNat to Shuey over and over and over and over again please, thanks.

Come on! lets be the first wooden spooners to do something unimaginable! Beat those pies! we can do it!

First in AFL history, however in the VFL teams have gone from wooden spoon to GF (Pies did it in the mid 70's). One team did it in the same season during one of the wars (only 4 teams). Won the wooden spoon and the GF in the same year.

Almost every game bar a couple we've let the opposition side kick the first, if not first couple of goals.

This worries me against Collingwood. They'll end up 6 goals up at qtr time a la St. Kilda with a much stronger side that we'd struggle to reign in as opposed to St. Kilda who went missing for most of the match past qtr time (I realise we still lost, just an example). I can't see Collingwood phasing out like that, regardless of all this nonsense talk I've seen about Collywobbles and injuries and off-field drama etc.

You're exactly right that we need to stamp some authority on the game early on, and manage to keep the tempo up for the other three quarters. We can't afford to go on a holiday and then play catch up against Collingwood, as we pretty much have most of the year. We did it well against Geelong, a similar performance is required for Collingwood.

We did that, in front of a sell-out home crowd on our preferred ground, which was great, but to do it on the MCG, which let's be honest, doesn't really suit our game at all, will be HUGE.

We can dominate the game early through our ruck duo. We really need to make them hurt in that area, and not end up just winning the ruck only to tap it down to four Collingwood midfielders, which again, I'm sure we've all noticed has happened a little. Although, it does seem to be getting better.

Regardless, I think we'll finally play four quarters of good football, that I think we all know we are just an ants penis away of pulling off.

NicNat to Shuey over and over and over and over again please, thanks.
How did you come up with that regarding the first goal of the game? First goal has been kicked by the opposition 11 times and 10 times by us. Our first quarters have generally been very good as well, we've won more first quarters than any other quarter. The only games where we were well beaten on the scoreboard in the first quarter was against Collingwood and St Kilda, the two best first quarter teams in the comp. That shows that we certainly do need to get off to a good start like you've said but we've started games a lot better than you're saying.

How did you come up with that regarding the first goal of the game? First goal has been kicked by the opposition 11 times and 10 times by us. Our first quarters have generally been very good as well, we've won more first quarters than any other quarter. The only games where we were well beaten on the scoreboard in the first quarter was against Collingwood and St Kilda, the two best first quarter teams in the comp. That shows that we certainly do need to get off to a good start like you've said but we've started games a lot better than you're saying.

Sorry I really should have looked at the facts, I sort of just went by vibes and memories.

I know we've won most of our first quarters, I was just talking about the first goal thing, but I'm obviously off the mark there sorry mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Approaching Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back