Autopsy And we are into another Granny! comprehensive 36 point win over Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight, Jmac worth the risk obviously. Had a poor moment or two, everyone does, but looked much better.

I'm going to repeat the same though with Mills. Has to be put through all sorts of stress tests by mid week or he should not play. And even then...

If Logan and Rampe play, and Mills doesn't get up, would just go unchanged.

If Logan misses, then I'd just bring Mills or Fox in (preferably Fox). If Mills in, then Fox sub again. If Mills not fit, Fox in, Cleary sub.

If we simply have to play 3 tall forwards then Hamling over Ladhams. He's been decent up front, could lock onto Stewart, and has won a flag.

If Rampe misses, would just play Fox in the 22. Not Francis.

If none of Logan, Rampe or Mills play - then Fox in obviously, decision between 2 or 3 KPFs over Hamling vs Cleary, and if Cleary, then Adams sub.

As before, if we play Parker, and other outs necessitate Adams vs Cleary, I'd go Cleary.
Simply put for whatever reason we've been better without Mills and he had a poor game v gws let alone on the back of a hammy. If he plays then he should be the sub imo.

We could have had Lockett, Dunstall, Matthews and Buddy up forward in 2014 and they still would have stunk it up. We got obliterated at the coal face and that was that.

All we need next week is similar to this week - good contest, good seperation and spread, and kicking maybe half a dozen between them.

A big ask, but if our midfield does reasonably well, the forwards will get their chances.

We need one of them to have a really good day, and the others to contribute. Do that, and we will be in it up to our necks.
The game will be completely different to 2022.

We had Mills and Parker and an injured Hickey who couldn't jump in there. And Ryan Clarke FFS.

Now we have Heeney, Jordon and Grundy. Grundy and Jordan HUGE upgrades on Hickey and Clarke.

We have the luxury of playing Parker forward and Mills in defense.

We also have a more versatile, less predictable forwardline without Buddy.

Gulden is wwaaay better than he used to be. Him, Chad and Heeney working together, as well as Rowbottom, are formidable.

Only thing which I think is slightly weaker now than in 2022 is the loss of Paddy McCartin. Because he was a fantastic interceptor.

We'll make a game of it. No doubt in my mind. 👌🏻👍🏻

Congratulations, clearly the best team all season. Very even performance , can see this as the beginning for the Swans… All the best.

Simply put for whatever reason we've been better without Mills and he had a poor game v gws let alone on the back of a hammy. If he plays then he should be the sub imo.
My view:

With Florent back, we have 2 penetrating, dashing players off half-back.

With Mills there, we rely so much more on Lizard & become easier to defend.

Having said that, Mills is a very strong defender.

I’m honestly just not sure how to feel about it.

And I can’t help but wonder if Roberts is the more sensible option to go out IF Mills comes in.

It’s going to do my head in until Thursday.

My view:

And I can’t help but wonder if Roberts is the more sensible option to go out IF Mills comes in.

Can't see Roberts going out. They backed him in after a poor qualifying final, and he did well last night.

Such a hard call to make - glad it's not me making the call.

In hindsight, Jmac worth the risk obviously. Had a poor moment or two, everyone does, but looked much better.

I'm going to repeat the same though with Mills. Has to be put through all sorts of stress tests by mid week or he should not play. And even then...

If Logan misses, then I'd just bring Mills or Fox in (preferably Fox). If Mills in, then Fox sub again. If Mills not fit, Fox in, Cleary sub.

If we simply have to play 3 tall forwards then Hamling over Ladhams. He's been decent up front, could lock onto Stewart, and has won a flag.

If none of Logan, Rampe or Mills play - then Fox in obviously, decision between 2 or 3 KPFs over Hamling vs Cleary, and if Cleary, then Adams sub.

As before, if we play Parker, and other outs necessitate Adams vs Cleary, I'd go Cleary.
My head is spinning.

Cleary isn't playing his first final in a grand final IMO

If Mills is storming around the oval his hammy must be fine , he plays and Fox is unlucky. Campbell sub it's easy.

Unless Rampe is somehow suspended or Mcdonald hurt etc

My view:

I felt Florent played more forward than back last night. Live at the game I couldn’t actually tell who was the direct replacement for Mills. Although I wasn’t really focused on that level of analytics.

To be fair I think he was the victim of some poor decisions and has been for a while now. His opponents are just wrestling and holding him constantly yet he's the one who gets penalised.
Then he needs to fix the reason his is getting poor decisions go against him all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t changed my mind on the three talls fwiw (obv nothing).

We had three or even four talls that were better than our current ones on paper (Goodes Reid buddy and Tippett) in 2014 and they cut north up in the prelim but weren’t great gf day at the mcg

But there’s no point undoing it now. And they did a great job last night - good separation and we didn’t need too many down the line bombs - and McLean did mark a few of them in any case

Ball movement from defence was great and the mids usually kept it going forward.

And of course the most underrated stat in the game - kicking goals rather than points kept the pressure on port
Minor prermiers and another grand final, should walk in as favourites. 3 talls have gotten us this far as the highest scoring team in the league. Not sure what they need to do

It must really suck lining up at the opening bounce & seeing JJ walking toward you.

It's how Grundy must feel when he sees Stevic walking in to bounce the ball

I know this won’t be popular but I don’t want Mills back in. We were riding high very & well without him, and when he came back in the dynamic changed. I also don’t think he’s half the captain that Rampe is. If he is under this injury cloud, dear Horse please, please PLEASE don’t do a “2022 Reid “ and pick him just because he’s the captain who has been out for2/3rds of the season. And Callum, if you are not fully healed, do the the team thing and sit it out.

I know this won’t be popular but I don’t want Mills back in. We were riding high very & well without him, and when he came back in the dynamic changed. I also don’t think he’s half the captain that Rampe is. If he is under this injury cloud, dear Horse please, please PLEASE don’t do a “2022 Reid “ and pick him just because he’s the captain who has been out for2/3rds of the season. And Callum, if you are not fully healed, do the the team thing and sit it out.

I agree don't pick him just because he is skipper though

Normally I would thumbs up this. But I think he's ready to go. Just the body language of the boys getting around him, I think they all knew if they get through this week he'd be cherry ripe for next week. Apparently he was running sprints yesterday and was plucky.
Nope nope nope. We are doing pretty well without him. Sorry but I fear if he’s in it will 2022 all over again and he’ll be subbed off early. We are then effectively a man down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy And we are into another Granny! comprehensive 36 point win over Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back