Moved Thread And so Essendon's inevitable slide begins.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sustainable? Mate you just proved in your statement that Essendon are able to sustain full match efforts across the board, even in losses.
The fact is that whilst there are many moons to come before a GF/Premiership arrives Essendon is playing hard and accountable footy and it's working for us, its supporters.
September aint that far away and no one will want to play us.

Cheers!
what i meant by not sustainable was over a season not 13 games, there is no way you guys will continue to be in every single game all the way up to round 23, by than you might have done enough to push for the top 4 so it wont matter, i wouldnt want to be peaking at this stage of the season.

Good win, blown off the Perth & June hoodoos.
Hate to see Jobe Watson go down with an injury for the rest of the season, how would you guys even cover it...

It's an interesting question.

David Myers is the most likely to play in that role. Already in the Swans game this year, with Watson going into the forward line, Myers went into the midfield after coming on as sub and helped turned the game, even if we did fall short.

Negative . Of all the teams looking likely to play finals, ess is the team I would most love to play. Not one genuine A grade midfielder ( case could be made for Watson I suppose) is not going to get ess far against the likes of Coll wce or haw

Underestimating us will prove to be your downfall! BWAHAHAHAHA (EVIL LAUGH) ;)

No but seriously, that's a pretty stupid comment. Watson is elite.

what i meant by not sustainable was over a season not 13 games, there is no way you guys will continue to be in every single game all the way up to round 23, by than you might have done enough to push for the top 4 so it wont matter, i wouldnt want to be peaking at this stage of the season.

IMO I don't think we're even close to peaking yet.

My perception is that you're assuming we are just playing above our 'percieved level.'

That would be wrong.

Negative . Of all the teams looking likely to play finals, ess is the team I would most love to play. Not one genuine A grade midfielder ( case could be made for Watson I suppose) is not going to get ess far against the likes of Coll wce or haw

So you do not watch Essendon play or more to the point never watch Watson play who is an out and out gun. If people really watched the footy they would see watson is a far better player and far more damaging the Swan (who i also think is a gun).

That is how highly i rate Watson but if he goes down so do the Bombers.

So you do not watch Essendon play or more to the point never watch Watson play who is an out and out gun. If people really watched the footy they would see watson is a far better player and far more damaging the Swan (who i also think is a gun).

That is how highly i rate Watson but if he goes down so do the Bombers.

That remains to be seen. Of course we will suffer like any other team would but hopefully our other midfielders have matured enough to take up the slack.

And you are basing this on what? (Last year?) I dont think any of our players a looking tired. Whos to say Hawthorn has already peaked and wont be able to sustain it.

You think we've been playing at absolute top tempo all year?

Tip: this whole friggen thread is predicated on the idea that the last 3 years, we've had a flat patch late May/early June. And then bounced back to being a quicker, sharper looking unit soon afterwards.
Some will suggest training loads are changing, others that the players have been tired, whatever.
They haven't been playing at the same level, yet every game they've been within a kick. That, to me, says they've been playing a fairly sustainable style.

Jobe Watson is sort of treading down the same path as Matthew Boyd.

Opposition fans don't realise how elite they are until they reach about 27-28 years of age...in the mean time they have been club champions for years before that.

You think we've been playing at absolute top tempo all year?

Tip: this whole friggen thread is predicated on the idea that the last 3 years, we've had a flat patch late May/early June. And then bounced back to being a quicker, sharper looking unit soon afterwards.
Some will suggest training loads are changing, others that the players have been tired, whatever.
They haven't been playing at the same level, yet every game they've been within a kick. That, to me, says they've been playing a fairly sustainable style.
it's cos we're still crap and playing above ourselves, don't you get it?!

Opposition fans don't realise how elite they are until they reach about 27-28 years of age...in the mean time they have been club champions for years before that.
Watson is much more classy, dangerous & confident, with ball in hand. Boyd's still pretty limited to getting it around the stoppage and getting rid of it, as far as I'm concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's more until they start playing in a top four team.

It's also appropriate logic that players are regarded on higher merits if they've played in Grand Finals or won a premiership.

I still consider Watson to be better than Boyd though. Can only imagine what we'll see from Watson once our midfield starts hitting it's straps and provides him with way more support than he is already.

Adelaide and the Hawks are the two games. We've beaten Carlton when they were playing top 4 footy, lost by a point to the Pies when they were in top form, Ran out of time against the Swans. Pretty even year imo.

FWIW - The Swans are yet to play Coll, WC and Carl and can't win at the G so don;t get too comfortable.
We were in "top form" coming into ANZAC Day? Well, I guess when you think about the two games previous to ANZAC day being a 20 point win over Port, and a 60 point loss to Carlton, we were red hot.

Watson is much more classy, dangerous & confident, with ball in hand. Boyd's still pretty limited to getting it around the stoppage and getting rid of it, as far as I'm concerned.

I still consider Watson to be better than Boyd though. Can only imagine what we'll see from Watson once our midfield starts hitting it's straps and provides him with way more support than he is already.

Agree on both comments.

But in terms of recognition it is true that they didn't get acknowledged until their late 20s. But the other factor is late development. Jobe only played 13 games in his first 3 seasons, and Boyd had to come with Frankston as a rookie. Unlike other players who play 50 games in their first 3 seasons, who are regarded as stars by the time they're 22.

I think a comparison with Mitchell works almost without quantification.

I rekon that Jobe has just assumed the mantle (from Mitchell) of best extracting/inside midfield plodder / traditional centre in the game.

We were in "top form" coming into ANZAC Day? Well, I guess when you think about the two games previous to ANZAC day being a 20 point win over Port, and a 60 point loss to Carlton, we were red hot.

Yeah, saying Collingwood was in top four back then is a bit rich.

I know a lot has been said about Anzac Day and what the result means but to be honest I'm just not that sure you can take a great deal out of it. Both teams were undermanned (both in terms of players missing and players who would have been too sore to play near their optimum level) and both teams have improved significantly since then (despite some terrible goalkicking from Essendon). It seems like there were too many variables (that will be different next time) for anyone to draw significant conclusions from the game.

I could honestly see us playing much better against Collingwood the next time, and losing by a lot more.
'twas an odd game.
Yeah, maybe I'm biased, but I felt that on general play, Collingwood were a couple of goals better on ANZAC Day than Essendon, but didn't convert that into goals. Also, we probably had the 5 best players on the ground, so it was a good effort for Essendon to stay in it

Yeah, maybe I'm biased, but I felt that on general play, Collingwood were a couple of goals better on ANZAC Day than Essendon, but didn't convert that into goals. Also, we probably had the 5 best players on the ground, so it was a good effort for Essendon to stay in it
I agree with this

I tend to agree. I always felt that had Essendon won we would have stolen the game (which is just about the best way to beat Collingwood!).

Does that mean we were better than Melbourne and Sydney because we didn't convert all of those behinds?

You can't honestly think that it felt like there was any point where we were in control of the ANZAC Day game. Full credit to our defence though I'd argue, to weather that storm for long enough to (somehow) get us back in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back