All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some very well may have had an easier path but most haven’t. Yes the crowd noise does go up, but unfortunately for close to 100 years so did the opposition noise. Go have a chat to Chris Lewis, Nicky Winmar, the Krakouer brothers and find out what crowds and players said to them every week. Yes many players have shown enormous courage to reach AFL but not many have had to go through the complete cultural shock that many Aboriginal boys and girls endured and the brutal racism Aboriginal players have experienced. You do realise many of the Aboriginal players cannot speak English when they arrive at clubs. Perhaps if we had did have an endless focus on race we wouldn’t still be hearing of cases of racial abuse against Aboriginal players.
Try being an ethnic AFL player. Ask the former Italian and Greek players what they endured from the crowd and their team mates back in the day. Racism doesn't have selective options, it's equal regardless of what race is being abused. It's purely racism

Try being an ethnic AFL player. Ask the former Italian and Greek players what they endured from the crowd and their team mates back in the day. Racism doesn't have selective options, it's equal regardless of what race is being abused. It's purely racism

No doubt. Racism is horrific in all forms but that wasn’t the topic being discussed.

Some very well may have had an easier path but most haven’t. Yes the crowd noise does go up, but unfortunately for close to 100 years so did the opposition noise. Go have a chat to Chris Lewis, Nicky Winmar, the Krakouer brothers and find out what crowds and players said to them every week. Yes many players have shown enormous courage to reach AFL but not many have had to go through the complete cultural shock that many Aboriginal boys and girls endured and the brutal racism Aboriginal players have experienced. You do realise many of the Aboriginal players cannot speak English when they arrive at clubs. Perhaps if we had did have an endless focus on race we wouldn’t still be hearing of cases of racial abuse against Aboriginal players.
The more we identify people by their skin colour rather than their personal qualities the longer the division continues.
History cannot be rewritten but it can be and has been acknowledged and addressed.
Focusing on the words of one moron as the media did last week while ignoring the adulation and support of thousands upon thousands of supporters seems a very lopsided way to approach the issue.
It is a very inaccurate representation of the football public, yet I heard countless journalists refer to the comments of the moron as though they were representative of many in the broader football community. This is simply untrue.

The more we identify people by their skin colour rather than their personal qualities the longer the division continues.
History cannot be rewritten but it can be and has been acknowledged and addressed.

For most it's not about skin colour anymore. It's about culture, background and disadvantage. And history isn't close to having been addressed.

It's undoubtedly more difficult for an indigenous kid from the Halls Creek region to achieve success in the broader Australian community than it is for most of us. Let's celebrate it when it occurs. Like we do when a white kid like Albanese or Gladys rise to great heights from a disadvantaged background. Or any of the countless white footballers that are praised for overcoming obstacles. They're great Australian stories (such a shame that Gladys had her fall.)

Last edited:
For most it's not about skin colour anymore. It's about culture, background and disadvantage.

It's undoubtedly more difficult for an indigenous kid from the Halls Creek region to achieve success in the broader Australian community than it is for most of us. Let's celebrate it when it occurs. Like we do when a white kid like Albanese or Gladys rise to great heights from a disadvantaged background. Or any of the countless white footballers that are praised for overcoming obstacles. They're great Australian stories (such a shame that Gladys had her fall.)

we should also celebrate disadvantaged former australians like rupert murdoch....

Focusing on the words of one moron as the media did last week while ignoring the adulation and support of thousands upon thousands of supporters seems a very lopsided way to approach the issue.
It is a very inaccurate representation of the football public, yet I heard countless journalists refer to the comments of the moron as though they were representative of many in the broader football community. This is simply untrue.

Sadly, you live in a an extremely protected world where you have no idea of the extreme racism that still takes place against Aboriginal people every day ( yes and against other races but that is the discussion here). Many people in Australia are still incredibly racist. Do a scan of social media when a post goes up and look at the responses. Frightening. History has been acknowledged but it is not close to being addressed. Ash Johnsons story of a proud Aboriginal man needs to be told to serve as an inspiration to other young Aboriginals who struggle.

Please don’t derail this thread with politics. Ash is a great talent, I hope there’s news of a 2 year extension soon

Xavier College and Scotch College celebrate football alumni that comes from their school and it is encouraged. Celebrate the story of a young Aboriginal boy and where he has come from and it is politics.

Sadly, you live in a an extremely protected world where you have no idea of the extreme racism that still takes place against Aboriginal people every day ( yes and against other races but that is the discussion here). Many people in Australia are still incredibly racist. Do a scan of social media when a post goes up and look at the responses. Frightening. History has been acknowledged but it is not close to being addressed. Ash Johnsons story of a proud Aboriginal man needs to be told to serve as an inspiration to other young Aboriginals who struggle.
Online trolls say the most repulsive things about all people but I don't think that artificial world is representative of the real world.
Of course there are individuals who are racist including indigenous people but in general Australia is one of the more accepting, welcoming cultures. That might explain why so many people from other cultures want to live here.

Online trolls say the most repulsive things about all people but I don't think that artificial world is representative of the real world.
Of course there are individuals who are racist including indigenous people but in general Australia is one of the more accepting, welcoming cultures. That might explain why so many people from other cultures want to live here.
You want to see real accepting cultures. SE/Asia mate.
I have Black American friends that have lived here in Thailand for 10 years and have never experienced racism at all. Buddhists are so accepting of everyone.
Australia is still pretty bad although in Melbourne it isn't as it's more multi cultural.
Aboriginal folk still find it hard to get a basic job in Oz.

I think people with dark coloured skin also hear some repulsive stuff in real non-artificial life too, domie.

You want to see real accepting cultures. SE/Asia mate.
I have Black American friends that have lived here in Thailand for 10 years and have never experienced racism at all. Buddhists are so accepting of everyone.
Australia is still pretty bad although in Melbourne it isn't as it's more multi cultural.
Aboriginal folk still find it hard to get a basic job in Oz.
In terms of getting visas, Africans generally have a much harder time than most other nationalities in Cambodia and Thailand. Cambodians and Thais also prefer white skinned English teachers rather than Africans and possibly black Americans, and even Filipinos, who are the cheap option for Language and state schools despite being well educated and having a good standard of English.

Looking at the list of 64 countries whose nationalities are eligible for 30 day visa free entry to Thailand, only one African country, South Africa, is on the list.

Buddhists in Myanmar were far from accepting of Rohingyas - in fact, the total opposite. Thailand has also not played its role in granting asylum to Rohingya refugees and even Islamic Malaysia has regularly turned refugee boats away.

Maybe American blacks get an easier time of it, but I am not so sure about blacks from other country. Certainly in Cambodia, I would say there is a lack of acceptance of African people. Thailand's ethnic minorities, including hill tribe people, are also subject to prejudice. Dark skin is associated throughout SEA with outdoor labour and lower classes. You will find many dark skinned people from Myanmar working as labourers in the construction industry working for very low wages. The prejudice against darker skin skin people is exacerbated by the fact that many of the Thai rich and middle class people are lighter skinned of Chinese descent.

Sri Lanka is another Buddhist country in which the majority population have resented the presence of dark skinned Tamils from India, resulting in the 80s in a virtual civil war.

I don't share your view that Buddhists are accepting of everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of getting visas, Africans generally have a much harder time than most other nationalities in Cambodia and Thailand. Cambodians and Thais also prefer white skinned English teachers rather than Africans and possibly black Americans, and even Filipinos, who are the cheap option for Language and state schools despite being well educated and having a good standard of English.

Looking at the list of 64 countries whose nationalities are eligible for 30 day visa free entry to Thailand, only one African country, South Africa, is on the list.

Buddhists in Myanmar were far from accepting of Rohingyas - in fact, the total opposite. Thailand has also not played its role in granting asylum to Rohingya refugees and even Islamic Malaysia has regularly turned refugee boats away.

Maybe American blacks get an easier time of it, but I am not so sure about blacks from other country. Certainly in Cambodia, I would say there is a lack of acceptance of African people. Thailand's ethnic minorities, including hill tribe people, are also subject to prejudice. Dark skin is associated throughout SEA with outdoor labour and lower classes. You will find many dark skinned people from Myanmar working as labourers in the construction industry working for very low wages. The prejudice against darker skin skin people is exacerbated by the fact that many of the Thai rich and middle class people are lighter skinned of Chinese descent.

Sri Lanka is another Buddhist country in which the majority population have resented the presence of dark skinned Tamils from India, resulting in the 80s in a virtual civil war.

And I'm not sure people are clamouring to uproot their lives and seek a new one in Thailand in the same numbers as seem to want to come to Oz.

That seems to me to be a measure of the reputation a country has when it comes to giving everyone a fair go. No country is perfect but i think Australia is one of the best. We have a very diverse population especially when compared to many Asian countries.

My brother was the boss of a big bricklaying business and his employees were a veritable mini multi cultural family of blokes from Burma, Italy, indigenous Aussies, poms, Tongans and kiwis all good mates who worked hard and loved my brother as they were well looked after.

I think that is far more typical of the Australian way than this media hyped racism and antagonism. I have many good mates both male and female from a broad section of backgrounds and all of them are accepting of any one from any culture if they are good people. Maybe I mix with exceptionally unique people. I do t think that's the case.

And I'm not sure people are clamouring to uproot their lives and seek a new one in Thailand in the same numbers as seem to want to come to Oz.

That seems to me to be a measure of the reputation a country has when it comes to giving everyone a fair go. No country is perfect but i think Australia is one of the best. We have a very diverse population especially when compared to many Asian countries.

My brother was the boss of a big bricklaying business and his employees were a veritable mini multi cultural family of blokes from Burma, Italy, indigenous Aussies, poms, Tongans and kiwis all good mates who worked hard and loved my brother as they were well looked after.

I think that is far more typical of the Australian way than this media hyped racism and antagonism. I have many good mates both male and female from a broad section of backgrounds and all of them are accepting of any one from any culture if they are good people. Maybe I mix with exceptionally unique people. I do t think that's the case.

I'm playing the seekers song as we speak...

That's OK I speak from experience living here. Most of the black folk I know here are teachers.

Problem with many poorer folk entering the Kingdom is they tend to overstay their visa and basically try and disappear.
They always end up getting caught and sent back.
Normally Myanmar, Africa and even Eastern Europe. Countries that consistently give problems with citizens entering the Kingdom have a harder time.
Australians and a few other Western countries rarely do this sort of thing and are accepted more easily.

Nah.. Thais generally like whiter skin and like to stay away from the sun. Keep from getting a tan.
That doesn't mean they generalise about another being black to be accepted.
They are not seen as lower class.
Pretty normal to see a gorgeous Thai girl with a black man. Often the girl or her family are wealthy.

Buddhists in Thailand and not sure about other Buddhists in other countries..

You are wrong about Thais. Not a racist bone in their body.

Most of Asia is more racist than Australia. China, India, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Myanmar without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. Not sure about Thailand, Indonesia and Cambodge.

Most of Asia is more racist than Australia. China, India, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Myanmar without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. Not sure about Thailand, Indonesia and Cambodge.
Yes most of Asia racist although not so much Myanmar or Vietnam.
Put them in the basket along with Cambodia and Thailand.
I'm done now as this is the Ash thread.

i think it would put a tear in the eye of any dinkum true-blue aussie .....and we are the fairest people on earth....ask any person arriving from overseas at the airport for the first time...
Yes most people not all people. Thai people have experienced racism on their first visit there.
Something that is unbeknown to them. Freaks them out.

Yes most of Asia racist although not so much Myanmar or Vietnam.
Put them in the basket along with Cambodia and Thailand.
I'm done now as this is the Ash thread.
Have you missed Myanmar's purges of ethnic groups in recent years?

I lived in Vietnam for 6 years and worked with a couple of black Americans. They were treated very differently to me and I was treated very differently to Vietnamese co-workers. There was a distinct hierarchy of origins. So distinct that it's institutionalised in differing pay scales in large companies.

I can tell you as a European Australian born Aussie the racism I've experienced. Right from primary school to the very last time I lived there. Happens often.
Some Anglo Australians deny it's like this because they have not lived through it.

A few years back at the footy and SOS was being called a wog C*** by many in the crowd.
Go back to your own country a very common reply.
Deny all you like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad