Toast All hail the Chief. New AFL legend inductee!

Remove this Banner Ad

Three words describe Jason's game.
Lead, Mark, Goal. A Hawk Legend.
I remember the "Music men" doing that on hey hey
I can do the Jason Dunstall
- lead out chest mark, kick a goal, kick a goal
lead out chest mark kick another goal"

while the tony lockett was kick a goal, whack a bloke get reported get suspended

Was hoping he was going to kick 18 against Richmond that day and get the record for most goals in a game. One thing as certain as paying taxes was pencilling in 5, 6 or 7 goals against his name in the footy record each week as a kid. Made for a happy childhood. Would have been 7 or 8 years old watching a game out at Victoria Park where he booted a bag. Remember how many thugs there were and how much he silenced them. Visceral stuff. Very different vibes back then in enemy territory.

An undisputed legend of the game. But interestingly i have him on equal weighting to the likes of Derm, Dipper, the Rat, Ayres, Langford, Tuck. They're all legends in my book.

Highlight of the night for mine was seeing Sticks' face after hearing he could've been a Carlton player.
Um... given that it was well known throughout the entirety of Dunstall's career, I think he already knew that.

Was hoping he was going to kick 18 against Richmond that day and get the record for most goals in a game. One thing as certain as paying taxes was pencilling in 5, 6 or 7 goals against his name in the footy record each week as a kid. Made for a happy childhood. Would have been 7 or 8 years old watching a game out at Victoria Park where he booted a bag. Remember how many thugs there were and how much he silenced them. Visceral stuff. Very different vibes back then in enemy territory.
I've mentioned this before, but I miss the days of full forwards regulary kicking bags and the race to kick 100 first not to mention win the Coleman. Such an awesome time.

Growing up in Adelaide I didn't get many chances to see him live but in my very first AFL game I attended in 1993 at Footy Park I saw Dunstall boot a lazy 9.1 as we beat the Crows. Was the absolute highlight of that special night for me seeing him mark and kick with such accuracy.

Second time was the following year again at Footy Park when we absolutely smashed the Crows. Dunstall again with a lazy 9.6. Unfortunate that we didn't see him kick 10+ which he really should of, but with my all time favourite Platten kicking 6.0 it made up for any disappointment!

Full forwards regularly kicking bags each week was just commonplace back then and Dunstall was one of the best at it.

Um... given that it was well known throughout the entirety of Dunstall's career, I think he already knew that.
Dunstall was a Blues supporter, but the prospect of him going to Carlton (who weren't interested like the rest of the 11 clubs) was never really a narrative spoken about the entirety of his career as you suggest. Platten on the other hand actually was a made an offer by Carlton.

Dunno if it's been spoken about yet but another great thing about Dunstall was him rejecting that 4 year mega offer from the Bears to return to his home state. Loyalty is a huge thing that i respect about a player and Dunstall clearly had it in spades.

Dunstall was a Blues supporter, but the prospect of him going to Carlton (who weren't interested like the rest of the 11 clubs) was never a narrative spoken about the entirety of his career as you suggest, lol. Platten on the other hand actually was a made an offer by Carlton.
You are spot on about Platten he had an in principle agreement with Carlton that he would play for them, especially after they gave him a cool 20000 dollars which he never returned when he signed with Hawthorn

You are spot on about Platten he had an in principle agreement with Carlton that he would play for them, especially after they gave him a cool 20000 dollars which he never returned when he signed with Hawthorn
Ah yes the brown paper bag that no one saw change hands that no one can claim exists and thus no one can claim back

One thing Dunstall did that I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other player be able to do was lead at full pace then make a sideways mid air dive at the ball and mark it arms outstretched whilst he was perpendicular to the ground.

That’s actually crazy difficult but he could do it week in week out.
At school JD played soccer as a goal keeper, so probably had some foundations that he was able bring to AFL.

On a side note the AFL made a balls up on the night with their tribute of players that have passed away in the last 12 months. Mick Porter who played in the 71 flag is still alive and well. Must have gotten a shock to see that he was no longer with us.
John Kennedy Jnr was great responding to the issue.

Kennedy replied: “I’d like to send one out to Michael Porter who played in the 71 Grand Final. ‘Portholes’ they called him.

“He was noted as deceased last night on the AFL Hall of Fame, as one of the deceased people.
“The issue is he’s alive. So Portholes, if you’re listening mate or you’re up there in NSW, let us know when the wake is because we’ll be all there mate!”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back